E36 engine dies off when shifting to Neutral

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jetschin

Club Guest
My E36 has been a wonderful car to own and drive all these years. Lately noticed that when I come to a complete stop at the traffic lights, the engine would die off upon my shifting to Neutral from D. Then, I would need to re-start the engine. I would normally do that (that is shift to N) while waiting for the lights to turn green. Just wondering what could be the cause of the problem? Appreciate your advice.

Any other symptoms?? Like erratic idle or smoke from exaust etc. Try the diagnostic test route. Clear all faults and reset. Go via the simplest solution first. Sounds to me like a engine tuning problem.

Cheers

My E34 was doing that. When i come to a stop and put it on neutral the idling would bounce and sometimes stall. Sometimes it would just stall abruptly. I suspected the idling valve but before touching the idling valve i went for some cheaped fixes first.

I found that my brake pump vacuum hose was cracked. Changed it and the problem is now gone. RM6 was all it cost me. BMWs are very sensative to vacuum leaks. Check your vacuum hoses for hardening or leaks and you'd be surprised by the results.

Top Bottom