E36 brake switch

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Russie

Club Guest
Drove my car out this morning. While exiting the gate, I took a look at the rear view mirror (dont ask me why, I've always been praticing this) and noted that none of my brake lights were working from the reflection of main gate window. Thought it could be the bulb holders loose or something, so went down to adjust them but the brake lights still didn't come up. 2nd thing that came to my mind was the brake switch could have been "kaput". So I drove to the workshop to get it fixed but workshop is closed today (Sunday mah). Left with no other option, I drove back home. While reversing my car into the car porch, I noticed the brake lights are back... and when I put my paml on the gear knob and hand brake lever, I will feel a "click" movement in them when I step and release the brake pedal. I guess that is a sign that the brake switch is working?Earlier when the brake lights were not working, I did not feel any "click" thingy on the gear knob and hand brake lever. Comments please.

hi russie.

its common, rear lights circuit panel to have weak contact, take it out and give it some cleaning.

brake switch usually also cauce chaos wt ur central locking... anyway its good to change it, as its known to kaput after some years, cheap... around $90

hi russie,
i have the same prob, esp after parking the car for some time, like in the morning or evening after work. but stomp on the brake pedal a few times and the light is ok again... guess the brake switch going to die soon

This one sure brake switch gonna go hehehe. Oh Russie about the 'click' when you step on the brakes while holding the gear lever when it is at N or P during stationary, thats the interlocking solenoid movement which is normal and has nothing to do with the brake lights.Whenever brake lights not working, always check the bulb followed by the connections, wiring, fuse then last of all the brake switch.

Thanks for all the feedbacks. Yes, I think I have problem with my central locking too. When I arm the alarm, door pins can go down. But when I disarm the alarm, my door pins cannot pop up... had no choice but to unlock manually using the keys. Maybe I should just change the brake switch and see if the centra locking is back to normal?

yes then,,, ur locking should be ok after a new brake switch! no more xmas brake lights too... save it for the tree hehe MERRY XMAS Russie!

sachseelan;591332 said:
yes then,,, ur locking should be ok after a new brake switch! no more xmas brake lights too... save it for the tree hehe MERRY XMAS Russie!

:) Thanks for the advice Sach, Merry X'mas to u too

Changed the brake switch today, now the brake lights are working but it did not solve the door pin problem. Mechanic said could be the central locking unit or alarm system. Hmm....

Top Bottom