E36 - 328i Gearbox

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wan328

Club Guest
hello all,Need some advice & suggestion. I'm facing some difficulties on my gearbox. I've gone thru some checked with several BMW mechanics & I've gotten a few suggestion. I'm in dilema whether to change to re-cond gearbox with 2 years warranty (RM5K) or overhaul (RM3K) the existing gearbox with 1 year warranty. I'm totally do not have any experience on this matter. So guys, I would really appreciate your advice & suggestion so that I could make the right decission.Thank YouRgdswan328

Originally posted by wan328@Aug 10 2005, 03:30 AM
hello all,

Need some advice & suggestion. I'm facing some difficulties on my gearbox. I've gone thru some checked with several BMW mechanics & I've gotten a few suggestion.

I'm in dilema whether to change to re-cond gearbox with 2 years warranty (RM5K) or overhaul (RM3K) the existing gearbox with 1 year warranty. I'm totally do not have any experience on this matter.

So guys, I would really appreciate your advice & suggestion so that I could make the right decission.

Thank You

Rgds
wan328
Looks like you have a good deal here. Normally we would only get 6 months warranty on a overhaul gearbox and a month warranty for a recond unit. Mind sharing which workshop is offering you that deal. ;)

the workshop offered the re-cond unit is somewhere in Batu Caves area & the overhaul service was offered by a workshop in Segambut.

what is the milage on your car? based on that and since your car is less than 10 years old, my advice is better to get your gearbox overhaul. The segambut shop is EH I believe.

Originally posted by bmwky@Aug 10 2005, 04:02 AM
what is the milage on your car? based on that and since your car is less than 10 years old, my advice is better to get your gearbox overhaul. The segambut shop is EH I believe.
If its EH my advise is don't go there. They screw up my previous 325i tranny. :aggressive:

i would suggest to change to 5 speed gear box instead of overhaul... With 5 speed gearbox power will improve alot more i believe FC will get better too... Go look for japan spec gearbox... The only thing concern about get 1/2 cut gb might not last long...

I am wondering also whether to overhaul or to replace with a recon auto box when the time comes...
Anyone have an idea who can overhaul a 5 speed JATCO auto box?

if your current gb is in average condition and only needs minor work, go for the overhaul as you and your mechanic will know what you guys changed and the condition. else the recon 1 is a better solution...

you are getting good warranties for both...

try 2nd opinion...

Originally posted by ccl68@Aug 10 2005, 05:51 AM
I am wondering also whether to overhaul or to replace with a recon auto box when the time comes...
Anyone have an idea who can overhaul a 5 speed JATCO auto box?
jatco box... hehhehe can't be repaired.. can be replaced new for RM1000.00 :p :p :p that will last for 3 years or more... :)

Hi....

Can anyone tell me where can I convert or replace a new or used Jatco gear box ??

Where is it located? I am in Singapore and I looking for one Urgently...

Could any guys here help me?

Regards

Andy

Originally posted by wan328@Aug 10 2005, 04:30 PM
hello all,

Need some advice & suggestion. I'm facing some difficulties on my gearbox. I've gone thru some checked with several BMW mechanics & I've gotten a few suggestion.

I'm in dilema whether to change to re-cond gearbox with 2 years warranty (RM5K) or overhaul (RM3K) the existing gearbox with 1 year warranty. I'm totally do not have any experience on this matter.

So guys, I would really appreciate your advice & suggestion so that I could make the right decission.

Thank You

Rgds
wan328
wan328, mind sharing on specific difficulties u had on ur gb, so i can take it as precaution of mine... B)
IMHO, if ur mileage is still less 150K, go for overhaul (my mech said so)... or else... re-cond gb is still big ???? on its reliability right? unless its totally new one....cheers :D

Top Bottom