E36 - 325i Gear Box

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

motorsport325i

Club Guest
Hi guys,I am newbie here, would like to have some advice from you guys..I have gear box problems which always slip and come to second on high rev...Can I change to a japanese gear box (Direct Shaft) ?Where can I get a japan gear box? and How much will it cost New or Used?please advice bros...Andy

I dun think it's that hard to find the gearbox from Japan.
It's made by JATCO - Japan Auto Transmission Company.
Most of it are 5 speed auto.

4 speed will be ZF or GM.

Hi...535i...

Do you know anyone who had done this before? I mean changing from std auto tranny to a Jatco Japan tranny....

I would prefer a 5 speed ZF......

Do you know how much it will cost to ship from japan? any used one that I can find in Malaysia...?

Regards

Andy

if you want one with a jap box with 5 speed auto with wiring and control box.. pm me or ask Albundy for my number.. i will be outstation for a week.. get the number from him and sms to me.
i will direct you to the person.

regards.

Originally posted by pussy@Sep 29 2005, 07:12 PM
if you want one with a jap box with 5 speed auto with wiring and control box.. pm me or ask Albundy for my number.. i will be outstation for a week.. get the number from him and sms to me.
i will direct you to the person.

regards.
Hmm, long time didn't touch on this subject.

If I remember correctly, if you are going to swap a 5 speed gearbox, remember to get the long shaft and rear axle that come with that gearbox. The long shaft for both 4 speeders and 5 speeders are different.

Thanks Bros...

Pussy - PM send to you already....

M30revival : so u know about the Japan gear box?

Regards

Andy

Had the same prob with my e36, managed to get it overhaul in Mka Seong Hoe Motors (BMW distributor and service centre) total cost aBOUT 3.5K, THE CHEAPEST SO FAR

JATCO gearbox are not that durable and can't be overhauled... so it's 'disposable' - use and throw...

don't forget when u swap gearboxes, wire harness would be different too especially for the E36 where the wireharness for the engine DME and autobox DME is integrated.

Japanese spec e36 325s are hard to come by. As M30revival and Fabian have mentioned, not only the tranny need to be replaced, the wirings, tranny ECU, long shaft and the rear differential are also needed to be replaced.

Hi guys....

Many thanks for all you input....

Actually my ride is a E36-320i and recently swap a e36-325i engine into it.......Dont feel much power due the the auto tranny... and I never change the back diff..... =(

Albundy - Do you have pussy contact number?
fabianyee - Jatco gear box wont last long ?

Regards

Low

Originally posted by motorsport325i@Oct 4 2005, 03:05 PM
Hi guys....

Many thanks for all you input....

Actually my ride is a E36-320i and recently swap a e36-325i engine into it.......Dont feel much power due the the auto tranny... and I never change the back diff..... =(

Albundy - Do you have pussy contact number?
fabianyee - Jatco gear box wont last long ?

Regards

Low
get the ZF5HP-18, abt RM3.5K++ incl long shaft, rear diff and ecu...but the setback is, must dismantle yourself the whole gearbox from the halfcut..and also no guarantee the gbox is a good one..pure luck...

Originally posted by motorsport325i@Oct 4 2005, 11:45 PM
dvng,

many thanks for your reply.........

But where can I get it? any recommendation ?

Cheers
can try chop shop in puchong, near koko zoggee's hideout..

Hi dvng,

Can you let me know the number or company name?

I am in SIngapore and not so familiar there...

Thanks Bro...

Cheerzx...

Originally posted by motorsport325i@Oct 5 2005, 05:40 PM
Hi dvng,

Can you let me know the number or company name?

I am in SIngapore and not so familiar there...

Thanks Bro...

Cheerzx...
pm me for details...

:ph34r: changing to Jatco??? :ph34r: for an E36? :ph34r: ..bump.. :blink:

go manual la... :p

zoggee - my friends bought a Half cut 325i Japan...

And notice that the Gearbox is different...It direct shaft....it is very fast.... even my 325i cant follow him near....

That why thinking of getting a Japanese gearbox.,...

hehez.....

Originally posted by motorsport325i@Oct 14 2005, 04:44 AM
zoggee - my friends bought a Half cut 325i Japan...

And notice that the Gearbox is different...It direct shaft....it is very fast.... even my 325i cant follow him near....

That why thinking of getting a Japanese gearbox.,...

hehez.....
to defined the top speed you want..??? change to a lower differntial only. Go lower ...like..below 3?? that if you can find one. :nyehehe:

I did saw one...but thats a secret oso. :ph34r:

Top Bottom