E36 318i or MB W124??

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Daredevil

Founding Member
A friend wants to know which one he should go for? It is understood that the MB W124, eventhough is much older has a significantly lower maintenance as compared to the 318i. Care to comment anyone?Let's pit the maintenance of a 97' E36 318i & a 1990 W124 260E....

Have a colleague who just bought a 2nd hand W124 260E... not sure what year though.

But according to him, maintenance has been pretty low. So far he only needed to perform the normal maintenance, every 10,000km. And that costs less than RM400. He was appalled at the amount I have spent on my babe already. And yes, according to my mech, the spare parts for benzis are cheaper.

My friend's car is still pretty bomb-proof, no clatter and squeaks from the interior unlike my babe.

But driving dynamics... prefer my babe. The benzi felt like a barge in comparison... or maybe because the interior isolation is so good...

I wont make the choice becoz I like both :) ... but the following is my view of the W124....comments below are based on W124 230E (converted to 'e class') which was my company car which I drove from 2000 to 2002...

Its a solid car. The 230 is a workhorse, not very smooth (4 pot) but gets the job done. The 260s are better in this respect with their 6 pot engines. I think the e class versions (later species of the W124) had better/updated engines e.g. E200, E220...the crown jewel is of course the E280....

Performance wise (230) - sufficient and dare I say a match, if not better, than the E36 318i. Fuel consumption is ok ...it is a 2.3 litre car with a heavy body after all. Handling...surprisingly good , not as involving as a samll BMW but for highways, fast sweepers etc. it is nice enuf....it feels cumbersome to drive the first time u drive it but u will soon know how to chuck it around in no time....

Maintainance....I'd say pretty reasonable...if nothing breaks, which they seldom do they are pretty reasonable to run....my guess is it could be similar to an E36...my mech said the W124s are the most robust/trouble free version he has worked on (it has less electronics than the E36 for exmaple). When they do break, some bits are obviously expensive....it is a premium car after all....

Other remarks...
- footbrake is easy to master (works well with an auto)
- dont get a manual (horror!!)
- wide availability so can be choosy (if not nice ...walk away, theres so many to choose from)
- wide availability also means it is well supported by workshops around malaysia (its a bit like an e30 ... potong parts, recond parts, 2nd hand parts all available)
- get newer e class version, they got better/more efficent engines (E200, E220, E280)...even better , get a 6 pot...torque on 260/280 is very nice and useful to lug heavy body around
- check out 'Masterpiece' species (got better option list)
- dun get funny colour (exterior or interior) difficult to sell
- if getting older version, look for those already converted to e-class look (its like an mtech II kit consists of front and rear bumber + side cladding very nice ..gives a 2 tone look :))
- they are all high mileage/old cars ...but dun be afraid....engines are designed to last and last ...mine had 180,000+ MILES on the clock when I got it!! BUT everything worked, no trim rattling (all the interior trim etc. was there) ....one word + SOLIDDDDDD!!

The last of the over-engineered M-Bs....

6 cyl engines have decent top-end pull (you'd be surprised when you set to "S" and floor the panzer!), but the steering has zero feel and very slow to respond. More anonymous, reliable and spacious. I'd get the W124 as a daily driver over a 318 E36 any day. Last CBU (UK) models look the best, 300E-24v most yummy (5-speeder I think). I'd get one with a sunroof and chuck lots of ICE into it....

i personally like 300CE (2 drs coupe), mature n sporty.
E220 master piece oso good choice, got sense of luxury.
BMW 318i is young naughty gal, MBenz E is mature sexy lady ... yr choice.
both r solid german build that last ... in performance n look.

me choose MB over E36 anytime...

comfort, luxury n top end whack is da most brief explaination u can give on da W124 E class

my dad used to own a W124 E class E200 before changing to a W124 CE300 24V n its safe to say that both cars hardly give any problem...

n thanks to Jipster for his concise n superb take on MB...well said mate!

My uncle still runs his 1988 230E, has clock up only 150k kms, no problems so far, everything still as original. Only thing is that it's a manual, no has a brand new Camry 2.4 for his town drives. Getting on with age and easier to manage with an auto...

my dad has a W124 230E manual, CBU model.
Bought from a lady who did her PhD in UK. Got moonroof. But now leaking lah. Anyone got jalan how to fix or permanently close this? My dad does not use the moonroof at all.

Low maintenance but I don't like driving it. Macam lorry. Cornering diff than BMW so sometimes I have to overcompensate. Turning on tight corners piece of cake for this piece of tank.

no idea about maintenance for w124 but if it's anything like w123 then definitely lower compared to e36. find it interesting that someone looking at an e36 (young and sporty image) is also considering the w124 (old and conservative image)...

brgds

me dad also uses the W123. Two of them. Maintains on his own except recently due to old age. One car is 1978 (white engine 200) and the other 1983 (black engine 200). Both manual.

Shouldn't we be comparing the E36 with the C200 and not the Eeeeees?

No contest:

The Merc wins on build quality and low maintainence.

The BMW wins on dynamics and drivability.

Personally, the 260E would be the preffered choice in this case. Why? 6-cyclinder torque, THAT'S WHY!

MB - Comfort, Highway travel, maintenance, and cheaper to maintain. In fact, the W124 is the best of the E class in terms of maintenance. The round light models are problematic and a joy to the mechanic, rather than the owner.

But, it handles like a truck.

I am a die-hard bimmer fan. Personally, I would rather go for the e24 M6 if I can get one in a reasonably good condition. Or the e34 M5.

Originally posted by kevster30@Jan 3 2005, 07:47 PM
No contest:

The Merc wins on build quality and low maintainence.

The BMW wins on dynamics and drivability.

Personally, the 260E would be the preffered choice in this case. Why? 6-cyclinder torque, THAT'S WHY!
Hmmm, if I were any older, I wud have got a benzi... but since I am younger, I got myself a BMW... gotta match your age to the car mah... :D oh, also have to match the car to your style of driving. Can't imagine myself driving a W124 260E aggressively...

Benz for older drivers?? I think everyone forgot about the ultimate W124...the E500....V8 5 litre monstrosity with porsche brakes.....I could drive that.......

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like the support for MB is still very strong. No denying the fact that produce damn hardy cars and the best part is hardy cars that holds its value well. I supposed no other continental cars hold their value as well as the Merc. So 3 cheers to 3 pointed stars.

Got a call from my friend who was contemplating between the E36 318 & the MB W124. THE VERDICT!

He got himself a 97 E36 328 instead. A very good condition one with full AB service records, bodykit, new AC3 rims, low mileage and very nice no. plate i.e. 1818. Lucky bastard! So looks like we're gonna have a new member soon..... :p

Hmmm..didn't another forummer put a car like that up for sale....

OK lah....he's gone for the top of the range CKD E36. Can't say its a bad choice....hahah! Ngam!

Yup, good choice...(thumbs up)... so when can we meet up with the new BMW owner????

Crap. :angry: My friend pulled a fast one on me. He actually bought a 90/93 MB W124 E260!!!! :D

Originally posted by Daredevil@Jan 4 2005, 01:34 PM
Crap. :angry: My friend pulled a fast one on me. He actually bought a 90/93 MB W124 E260!!!! :D
Bollocks...

Top Bottom