E36 318i M40

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

masCh

Club Guest
I'm running an E36 318i M40 engine.I cant get my speed over 160kmh on PLUS highway.I cant get my speed over 70kmh on some stretches of the hilly mountains near Perak on PLUS.Do I have a problem? Or is this normal?

Right foot not heavy enough?? :D

Seriously,should have some prob if cant exceed 160kmh on a highway AFTER you have tried your best to max out the speed. :ph34r:

:eek: Yeah bro, get your car check by a good mechanic.
How fast you can hit the 160km/h? Thats oso count.

or is it about time to change yr engine to 6 pots hehehe :nyehehe:

It's not normal..the car should be able to top at least 190km/h on straigth and flat..

I used to get at least 180kmh when I first got the car.
I think the only thing I changed was from 15" rims to 17"

The rest are still stock.

hmmnn.. must be fuel regulator, AFM, clog exhaust/cat, dirty injectors, tps, or dirty fuel filter..

pssst..snake.. you have a friend..

Heh, I went to my mechanic a couple of months ago that I can only get a top speed of 70kmh at the hills between KL-Ipoh and he said its normal for 1.8

Is it?

I know that I feel the max of 160kmh is not normal.

I've replaced my fuel pump, and about 2 months ago my gearbox warning light came on, but its not been on ever since. Could the gearbox be the problem too?

btw, it takes about 30secs - 45 secs to get from 90kmh to 160kmh

Originally posted by masCh@Jul 15 2006, 03:38 PM
Heh, I went to my mechanic a couple of months ago that I can only get a top speed of 70kmh at the hills between KL-Ipoh and he said its normal for 1.8

I'm on a 2.5 and I can tell you a top speed of 70 km/h between KL-Ipoh definitely isn't normal even for a 1.8. Even my Wira goes faster at those spots. There will be an effect going from 15"s to 17"s but it shouldn't be THIS bad.

There are just so many possibilities on what is causing your car to lose so much power. I'd suggest you get your car for a checkup ASAP, something is definitely out.

heh, both my mechanics blame the rims.. its like they cant be bothered to check.
maybe i should try workshops in KL or Selangor.. anyone could name a place? I'll hit the workshop on my next visit

I'm on 17" too and can reach 170km/h with full load (4 adult passengers) on a straight and flat road.

Get a second opinion, bro.

Check the items suggested by pussy. :yes:

I'll hafta come find you Zoggee on my next visit.. maybe end of this month

Originally posted by masCh@Jul 18 2006, 07:06 PM
I'll hafta come find you Zoggee on my next visit.. maybe end of this month
I'm back up north la....call me. we TT back up north. :wink:

I'm using the same car type and engine also but mine is a manual.. also takes forever to reach top speed compared to an evo engine that I was using previously but it can go beyond 160. I travel up north now and then and average about 750km on a full tank (with 3-4 adults). Maybe you can compare my results with yours and see if there is any significant difference.

same specs with mine also ... I'm using 17in like yours. Hmm.. maybe I'm a slow driver keke on average only 120-130kmh sometimes 150-160 on long straights

Top Bottom