E34 Cannot Start Engine (HELP !)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

rushramlee

Club Guest
Dear All,I've gone through previous forums but still can't find a solution. Here's what happened :1. My E34 1995 520i had been having problems starting in the morning for sometime. Needs to crank the ignition very hard a number of times before it'll start.2. Yesterday, the engine started and then stalled. After that it can't start at all. Tried to jumpstart but still cannot start.3. I sent my car to a nearby mechanic and he says that the knock sensor is faulty and its changed. But the car still wouldn't start.4. The mech told me that the voltage to the sparks are low and he suspects that there is a shorted wire somewhere. I asked if the coils are faulty, but he doesn't think so since all 6 coils show the same low reading.5. Is there a possibility that my immobilzer is shorted some how and preventing the ingine from starting ?Would appreciate it if you guys can help me out on this or recommend a good mechanic.Thanks :)

I had a similar bad experience before... caused by timing sensor.. please double confirm with mech.

Hopes it helps.

My first place that I would try is to take out the immobilzer...

Its very likely that your immobilzer is faulty.

dont knw if this tips will help.....try ur fuel pump,fuel pump relay/wiring,
are ur baterries the right DIN?,thn like pussy says....crank sensor,it could also be tht ur alternator isnt charging.....
many reasons y it wouldnt start,but like white tip says.....do double check with ur mech.
all the best and do fill us in on wht was the actual cause aight!
rgds,
-brad-

Originally posted by rushramlee@Aug 2 2005, 05:06 PM
Dear All,

I've gone through previous forums but still can't find a solution. Here's what happened :

1. My E34 1995 520i had been having problems starting in the morning for sometime. Needs to crank the ignition very hard a number of times before it'll start.

2. Yesterday, the engine started and then stalled. After that it can't start at all. Tried to jumpstart but still cannot start.

3. I sent my car to a nearby mechanic and he says that the knock sensor is faulty and its changed. But the car still wouldn't start.

4. The mech told me that the voltage to the sparks are low and he suspects that there is a shorted wire somewhere. I asked if the coils are faulty, but he doesn't think so since all 6 coils show the same low reading.

5. Is there a possibility that my immobilzer is shorted some how and preventing the ingine from starting ?

Would appreciate it if you guys can help me out on this or recommend a good mechanic.

It might also be the fuel regulator that needs to be replaced.
If yours is old, the diaphragm within the regulator might not be functioning well anymore.

I also had a similar problem previously but it was solved when I changed to a new fuel regulator.

hi...just sharing my experience...it's happened to me before and after changing the fuel pump, everything works fine...hope it helps...good luck...

hello.... any feedback ? if the engine is cranking, got fuel coming out, got spark.. then it is the crank sensor...

Originally posted by thomask@Aug 3 2005, 02:18 AM
hi...just sharing my experience...it's happened to me before and after changing the fuel pump, everything works fine...hope it helps...good luck...

Yeah .. last week , while travelling at 140kmh .. suddenly (dgn tiba-tiba ... ) there is no response from the throttle.

Pull aside .. after that cannot start liao .. Crank boleh .. but refused to start ..

Cari punya cari - fuel pump .. Ehhh .. not bad worr .. 18yrs old fuel pump !!! 1st time change ..

So, yeah .. like Pussy (I love u) said, check minyak naik or tidak .. 2 minutes job .

The fuel pump is okay .. there is pressure from the fuel pump ... the mechs going to check the starter solenoid and the fusible link .. i'll keep u guys posted when i get the car fixed.

Thanks for feedbacks :)

Top Bottom