E34 535i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

1stbeemer

Club Guest
Hi, I have been offered my first beemer from an uncle as a giftE34 535i (M) brought in Europe in 94, the car has been parked in his garage the past several years. - leather interior - grey- infitiny speakers- walnut- 40K on the tacho (genuine)It is in immaculate condition - spotless inside out. He enjoyed the car too much to drive it!Driver tasked to start and run engine every week.I have never owned a beemer before. I know many of you enthusiasts here are experts.My questions:- I dont see many of this variant on the road, should I be concern about maintenance/service in KL? (car has always been in Ipoh)- i plan to use it on my daily run in to work (Klang Valley), apart from the roadtax (I know already), how much should I budget for monthly upkeep? I do about 50km per day- although getting this as gift, can someone give me an estimate market value of this car (rough benchmark suffice)?I appreaciate any answers and pointers. Should I accept this generous offer? thank you1stbeemer (hopefully!)

Anything free should be welcome lah!

Seriously if you are not concerned abtr the road tax then really the other thing to consider is fuel cost as the 3.5 L engine can be rather thirsty when pushed. Maintenance wise parts shd be readily available from engine, to body and suspension.

Congrats on the gift, just beware of the racunners on this forum...

Yo Man! Its great to hear that another 535i E34 lurkes in the wilderness....hahaha

anyway down to business:

1. Congrats on the great choice of car! (Its a true highway cruiser - it will run circles around any japanese car at sustained speeds of 200plus kph on the highway all day all night long)

2. The 3.5 litre M30 is a bulletproof engine when maintained carefully. i.e. fully syn engine oil at every oil change + a properly maintained cooling system i.e. thermostat, hoses, coolant, radiator cleaned etc etc...will never see an overhaul for quite some time.......well into the 300 thou km mark......

Weak points for engine are:

1) Headgasket if the cooling system isnt maintained as scheduled

2) All rubber hoses (intake manifold, fuel regulator, oil breather, idle valve, fuel and vacuum hoses) get hard and crack. Its a hot engine - check out the size of the radiator and you'll understand why? :)
(but not to worry there are tons of silicone high temp hoses to choose from all of which will last the lifetim of the car - buy once and leave it so no worries there.

3) AirFlow Meter (It uses that stupid mechanical flap which tends to bind with dirt and require servicing and tuning to keep it in check) but not to worry there are readily available hotwire AFM conversion upgrades. :) heh heh

Weakpoints for Drivetrain are:

1) Auto Gearbox - Dont rev that thing in neutral or park koz it'll wreck itself to bits! and change your ATF regularly!

2) Manual Gearbox - Can't say koz i havent delt with one b4?

Weak points for Suspension are:

1) Rear subframe bushings - Tend to crack after wear and resulting in a clunking or rear end odd steering wheeling (
2) Front end shimmy under braking. Suspension arm bushings are undersized for a car of this wieght and once wear are very annoying koz the damn car starts doing funny things.

(Not to worry, once again there are thousands of polyurethane bushing upgrades to eleminate this problem entirely)

Electronics:

1) Your Display console will tend to go bonkers if its old.....those capicitors, diodes and other funky shit will tend to crack and get funky wid age resulting in all sort of electrical gremlins like your rpm meter moving by itself when stationary....etc etc...

2) Fuses, Relays, Wire Harnesses

Yahoooooooooooo !!

ANother BIG SIX .. it's MANUAL !!!!

Now I got fren (not that u guys are not my fren laaa ....)

Dude .. we need to hook up ... togeder with KWS ....

Mine is EURO Spec as well.. did it mentioned yayyyyyy .. MANUAL !!!
Let's yum-cha .... and I will share with u ALL the pain and glory ..

U want chip - Superchip, ALPINA, potato chip
U want short-shift
U want AC Ekjos ?
U want 17" AC wheels ...

later .............. :eek:k:

Hey..talk about 535..i saw one half cut lying on one of the chopshop's rack...

any one interested??

1stbeemer, you are so lucky to get free car..., so dump in some money for necessary repair or upgrades lar...maybe around RM20K.... :wink:

ciao.. :D

Originally posted by 535i@Dec 2 2005, 08:49 AM
Yahoooooooooooo !!

ANother BIG SIX .. it's MANUAL !!!!

Now I got fren (not that u guys are not my fren laaa ....)

Dude .. we need to hook up ... togeder with KWS ....

Mine is EURO Spec as well.. did it mentioned yayyyyyy .. MANUAL !!!
Let's yum-cha .... and I will share with u ALL the pain and glory ..

U want chip - Superchip, ALPINA, potato chip
U want short-shift
U want AC Ekjos ?
U want 17" AC wheels ...

later .............. :eek:k:
This was the RACUNNER I was telling you about...

Originally posted by wan520i@Dec 1 2005, 08:51 PM

any one interested??

1stbeemer, you are so lucky to get free car..., so dump in some money for necessary repair or upgrades lar...maybe around RM20K.... :wink:

oh!! i saw one oso in muar chop shop!!
3.5L engine with oto gear box asking rm3k+++

I should be so lucky. Congrats on the acquisition and welcome to the club. Big six... drool, drool, drool.

Originally posted by wan520i@Dec 1 2005, 08:51 PM

any one interested??

Manual or auto ? :p

Auto dun want ....

Originally posted by 1stbeemer@Dec 1 2005, 07:57 AM
Hi, I have been offered my first beemer from an uncle as a gift

E34 535i (M) brought in Europe in 94, the car has been parked in his garage the past several years.

- leather interior - grey
- infitiny speakers
- walnut
- 40K on the tacho (genuine)

It is in immaculate condition - spotless inside out. He enjoyed the car too much to drive it!

Driver tasked to start and run engine every week.

I have never owned a beemer before. I know many of you enthusiasts here are experts.

My questions:

- I dont see many of this variant on the road, should I be concern about maintenance/service in KL? (car has always been in Ipoh)
- i plan to use it on my daily run in to work (Klang Valley), apart from the roadtax (I know already), how much should I budget for monthly upkeep? I do about 50km per day
- although getting this as gift, can someone give me an estimate market value of this car (rough benchmark suffice)?

I appreaciate any answers and pointers. Should I accept this generous offer?

thank you

1stbeemer (hopefully!)

M30 is or THEBIG SIX (or SICK ..) .. is strong. U can rev all u want and the only thing u will get is humming engine and not screaming ... !!

1) Consumption - circa Rm60 (new price) for 200 MILES ... on 17" in wheels
2) R/Tax - ehem .. RM 4,080 per annum
3) Value - really .. dunno .. My car was valued at 60K by BCB Finance (88 model)

Braking - one of the best - to my opinion. But it cost a bomb to replace the disc n pad. Ori of course.

Suspension - standard is alrite - U can also got for BILSTEIN n KONI. The latter is available in KL

Clutch - mine was change 4 yrs ago. Sorry, no stock in KL but can order. Last time - cost me 1.5K just of the clutch.

Gearbox - Getrag 260/6. Very hard to find. Known for tingling noise for high mileage. No cure ... Live with it ...

Steering - speed sensitive. The controller is at the front passenger side.

Sunroof - clean the drain or u will find urself drenched when it rains. Circa RM300 for the lining.

Rear diff - UK Specs manual is V3.64. Auto maybe 3.91.

Power - 218 bhp (varies) with 280nm torque.

Top speed - 230kmh (as per the specs) ... :nyehehe:

Originally posted by wan520i@Dec 2 2005, 12:04 AM
The 535 i saw at sg.buluh...i think is auto trans. :wink:

There are maybe less than 20 535i auto running around.
I know only 3 unit of 535i Manual ... 1stbeemer makes it 4 ...

Info based on workshops, friends, AB etc etc. I think the brudder of Sultan of Kedah got 1 oso.

like dat can have a "535" club.......guess who is the president.....!!!

Originally posted by teejay@Dec 2 2005, 06:19 AM
like dat can have a "535" club.......guess who is the president.....!!!

Vote Suther for PREZ .. ehhh wrong thread .. !

TJ .. dun hijack laaa .. nanti kena sound ... :hmmph:

Top Bottom