e30m40 engine stalls during idling

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by 535i@Jul 20 2005, 11:31 AM
Eventhough u have swapped ur AFM, try this ..

When the idle is erratic, pop the hood and knock the AFM (not so hard laa) with ur fist. If ur idle is normal, it's the AFM.

DME will read ur previous AFM reading - even when u swapped ur AFM. Need to reset the fault before installing the new AFM ..

That's what I did to my M40 ...
thanks for your advice and ye si have done that and it' still not good.

the problem is that after say 3 minutes or so, the idle decided to steady. but as soon as i press the gas pedal and let go, the idle fluctuates. before that it swings wildly up and down and the econometer swings from left to right.

lately in the morning, it has become more difficult to hold the idle and the engine just wants to die.

fabian, should i take out the rubber tube from AFM to the throttle body to test for leaks? i think this should be the easiest to troubleshoot before moving on to throttle body and ICV?

here's another problem and i wonder if it's related. it has never happened before. after getting stuck in thre jam for about 30 minutes, i found that the engine hesitates when i accelerate. it feels like one (or more) of the pistons fail to fire causing jerk (minor i can feel). it feels like a misfire or perhaso could it be due fuel starvation in the fuel line?

but then after a while, this disappears. so, what is the problem. for your infom i have the new pligs in less than a month ago. so, quite unlikely to be the cause.

advice please experts!

selespeed

selespeed... still no cure ?

try this...i cured my eratic idle everytime it happens..

1. since all mechanic's check this and that.. please check your trottle body.. open the plastic elbow.. if you see black thick oil inside, clean it up with carb cleaner.. that's the problem.. all the oil from the valve cover breather hose accumalate there..

or

2. your spark plug rotor is worn out or your plug cable or your ignition coil defectif..

regards.

bring it to TT this friday, and hopefully it will be solved by the M40 experts.....

Originally posted by pussy@Jul 20 2005, 08:44 PM
selespeed... still no cure ?

try this...i cured my eratic idle everytime it happens..

1. since all mechanic's check this and that.. please check your trottle body.. open the plastic elbow.. if you see black thick oil inside, clean it up with carb cleaner.. that's the problem.. all the oil from the valve cover breather hose accumalate there..

or

2. your spark plug rotor is worn out or your plug cable or your ignition coil defectif..

regards.
thanks pussy, i will do that tomorrow...

Originally posted by teejay@Jul 20 2005, 09:00 PM
bring it to TT this friday, and hopefully it will be solved by the M40 experts.....
i'm in jb area la, kulai. any TT on friday in jb? i hope to meet some m40 experts there

i sometimes travel down to jb for work.....

will PM you if i do go down sometime, maybe can give you more ideas once i've actually look at it

but do look at suggestion posted as it more or less covers the symtoms you are experiencing

good luck

Originally posted by teejay@Jul 20 2005, 11:23 PM
i sometimes travel down to jb for work.....

will PM you if i do go down sometime, maybe can give you more ideas once i've actually look at it

but do look at suggestion posted as it more or less covers the symtoms you are experiencing

good luck
ok, teejay. thanks.

Originally posted by Zoggee@Jul 20 2005, 12:59 AM
there must be some error reading(fault codes) in ur DME...go check!!

My car idles like washing machine la... :(
cipek, yours is non-stock, okai.....

woit pussy mind your own business......pussyface......!!!!

glad to hear its getting better, do check the other hoses, coz if you can't really see the holes, one tip is to get soapy water and rub it all over the hoses, then you can see if the the foam gets sucked in-make sure your engine is on!

TPS hardly gets faulty, it needs to be calibrated to make it work proper, suggest you keep your old one and let us test it out for you

Originally posted by selespeed@Jul 21 2005, 10:06 PM
suddenly my car seems to have so many things go wrong.
After 15 years, can't expect to still work like new right??? ;)

bro care to share with some pictures .... blur blur larrr about the TPS thinggy ... :p

glad to hear its tip top now......

now for the performance upgrade........!!!!

BVO?? Hey! That's in Sin Ming Dr in sg. Bro,you in sg ah? I go to your "rival" workshop, J4C. keke No worries mate. My old timer also sometimes manyak prob. But when she is fine,damn! everythings forgotten and forgiven. :yes!:

Selespeed..you can oso seek advise from the BMW SG forum fella Greg Soh. very nice dude. and a very good driver too..he whacked a few soup up car in Pasir Gudang track. :D

Top Bottom