e30 m40: removing spare tire

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

selespeed

Club Guest
hi; i am thinking of removing the spare tire since it does not really serve any purpose for me because it will not fit anyway (the ex owners modified the wheel bolts using only japanese style nuts to lock). this makes the car lighter. has anyone tried that? is it advisable? will car feel front heavy? thanks.

selespeed, give it a try and let us know if you feel any difference. The weight of the spare tire does give a balance to the car IMHO.

pussy;209825 said:
wow.. 8 to 10kgs savings..and more cargo place..

8 to 10kg is pretty significant - will shave 1 second from acceleration. i will surely remove it. but first let me find something to cover the lubang. gotta find some strong sheet of wood -- must be light but strong! any idea what i should use? where to get perspex?

go to chop shops and look for wheel covers from other cars that can fit..

selespeed, why you want to remove ur spare tyre??? touch wood, what happen if tyre 'puncit'??? i have been looking for a spare tyre for loong time!!!!! i am using 17 inch sport rim. pcd 100 4 holes ( the centre hole must be bigger than usual pcd 100 4 holes) i hd measured the centre hole, its close to 75mm diameter.
if you have the right spec that i am looking for, pm me .... i rather sacrifice speed for safety! hehe... kinda old man thinking!

I ran my M40 without the spare tire in the boot for a few days once when I removed it to clean and air out. Didn't notice any difference, not that I was pushing the car anyway. ^__^

It will lighten the car a bit, but it is also subtracting it from over the drive wheels. With an M40 it probably will not be a big deal though, with the lower power and more even weight distribution compared to 6-cyl. Maybe a slight shift towards oversteer tendency, if anything at all? I think 1 second reduction is also a bit optimistic for acceleration time improvement.

I'd say the best option is to source a new spare that will fit your hubs, because it's better to have a spare and not need it than to need a spare and not have it.

Top Bottom