e21 Brake

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

beemer04

Club Guest
Guys noticed my e21 brake judder when hard braking, any recommendations I coujld get it skim?Preferably somewhere in PJ or Damansara area?How much would skimming cost?

The juddering may not neccessarily be the discs. It could be worn bushes or tie-rod ends.....

PM me for details for the PJ Dsara area, skimming usually costs RM50 per disc

Originally posted by kevster30@Nov 7 2005, 12:27 PM
Call me lar......... :D
chillz bro... hehehe...

ya beemer04, just call him. he'll buka-jalan for u.... :nyehehe:

Is the juddering only when you brake hard? Could be due to road conditions, no?

As Kevster said, do check your suspension bushes, including anti-roll bar bushes.

From Burtonpower site

Brake Juddering
Brake juddering is a fairly common complaint on all cars, whether standard or high performance. In most cases, the brake discs will have warped and a replacement set is the obvious cure for the problem. However, the cause of the problem can often be found elsewhere and the replacement discs will soon warp as well. It is not only essential to fit new brake discs, but to also rectify the cause of the problem in the first place, otherwise the juddering is likely to return.

From our own experience, we have found that the following causes are likely to result in a warped brake disc:
Seized calipers - either a seized caliper piston or a seized caliper sliding pin will result in uneven forces being applied to each side of the brake disc. Suspension bushes - tired TCA or anti-roll bar bushes.

Poor quality pads - these can overheat quickly, particularly if the brakes are used often and hard. The excessive heat from the pads can cause the discs to overheat, resulting in the discs warping.

Hubs - although rare, it is possible for the hubs to warp. Bolting a disc to a warped hub will always result in brake vibration. The same will also happen if any rust from the hub face is not removed before fitting the disc. After fitting a disc, we always recommend checking for disc run-out using a dial gauge. If the run-out is out of tolerance, then the disc should be re-fitted in an alternative position (i.e. turned through 90o) until run-out is within tolerance.

More info on brakes

https://www.burtonpower.com/technical/tt_brakes.html

OR

It could be ur e21 wants to have this

Girling%20mounted.JPG

Girling%20mounted2.JPG

Thanks for the builds on the brakes, must say indeed it is a good insight, yes I have noticed the following:-

1. Judder when braking hard
2. Right hand side tie rod leaking.
3. Shocks bush mounting cracks

As for the disc and the pads not too sure, will check it out at Kevs mechs this weekend on the damages.

Ichiwan nice ride, wish I could afford to have similar to yours, anyway plan to keep it original and mint as possible at this moment.

Ichiwan:- Can help me to source the BBS rim caps as the BMW ori caps could not fit.

there's a competent e21 mechanic in the damansara area?? may i know where you all?

Hv got all the woes resolved via the replacing the following parts:-

1. Replaced the front brake pads jurids and skim brake discs
2. Replaced front n rear shocks (BOGE) with bush, dust covers, shocks mountings and anti roll bar bush.
3. Overhaul the steering rack by replacing all the seals and lubricants
4. Replaced engine mountings and auto gearbox mountings (2 pair each)
5. Replaced lower arm (L & R) and and tie rods (L & R)

Outstanding
1. Air cond blower not strong - Priority (Heard of Selvam might need to check this out anybody no loc)
2. BBS caps missing 4 pcs - Priority
3. Car tint - Secondary (Hv not decided brand to fit)
4. Recarpeting - Secondary

helloo have u all registered for AD...its just 2 weeks away

Top Bottom