dtc button function?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bob1248

Club Guest
dear bros..i just have my e60 05 uk spec recently, i would like to get some advice from you all regarding the dtc function..i've lok out around for some info but cant understand it clearly...is there any effect or differences on the performance of the car wheter it is off or on?cheers:stupid::stupid::stupid:

off or on, the DTC does not provide any performance gain...when u off the DTC the car allows 15 to 20% tolerance for lost of traction during driving...

sure got performance gain with dtc can rempit faster on windy roads...

XXX;404845 said:
sure got performance gain with dtc can rempit faster on windy roads...

hahaha...bro i think its psychological gain nia la...
icon10.gif

DSC = Dynamic Stability Control. DTC = Dynamic Traction Control.

In real sense, DTC is a sub-function of DSC.

By default settings, when there is no DSC light or DTC appears on the instrument cluster, DSC is ON.

When you press the DTC button once, DTC will appear on the instrument cluster. What this means is, the traction control system will intervene at a later time, ie; more slip angle before power is cut-off and auto-braking is applied (that's how traction control works).

Another usage of DTC is for users who live in 4 season countries. This is useful especially to assist the vehicle to take off in icy and slippery conditions. Engine power will not be cut off despite some slippage and this allows the driver to take off.

Hope this explains.:wink:

Cheers

There will also be another function when the DTC button is held down the DTC button for about 5 seconds, DTC and DSC will be switched off and you'll see this warning symbol somesort like a circle with a ! inside. Active steering also gets turned off.

E60MSport;404872 said:
There will also be another function when the DTC button is held down the DTC button for about 5 seconds, DTC and DSC will be switched off and you'll see this warning symbol somesort like a circle with a ! inside. Active steering also gets turned off.

i normally switch off my DTC and DSC but the active steering does not shut down...it is still working...it is just that the traction and stability control system off nia...

i've tried with my mech, quite impressive of bmw technology,

with DTC function, no matter how you corner, the car won't go side way,

once off, you can basically drift your car :)

can try in a quiet road side, then u'll b impress with beemer technology

Lancelot Adolph;404894 said:

once off, you can basically drift your car :)

can try in a quiet road side, then u'll b impress with beemer technology

i think to drift then u need to turn off the DTC and the DSC as well coz with DTC off the DSC is still running...with the stability program i don't think the car can drift...
icon10.gif
but with cars lower than the 530, abit hard la when the road is dry...

t2ribena;404905 said:
i think to drift then u need to turn off the DTC and the DSC as well coz with DTC off the DSC is still running...with the stability program i don't think the car can drift...
icon10.gif
but with cars lower than the 530, abit hard la when the road is dry...

Can confirm what was said. Only with DTC and DSC totally off, will the car happily (and occasionally, scarily) go sideways. Late night wet roundabouts in a 530 in second gear on well worn-in non-runflat 17"s = frantic opposite lock haha. With DTC off (or is it on? somehow i remember when pressing it it says 'on') and DSC on, the car will slide a bit more, but there still is comfort in knowing that the car won't spin. Preferred setting for those roundabouts, really, cos stuffing up would mean having to drive a Benz the next few days :(

Funny thing happened the other day, and it was the only time it ever happened. All systems were on, and I was heading along the Sprint to 1U, passing by TTDI, in the afternoon, dry roads, and in light traffic. They redid the road there over a year ago, right outside where Sinaran and the Bomba station is, and there now is a right hand kink where they've put a divider to separate the going-straights and the right-turners. I was going about 80, and had both right hand tyres on the white line, very close to the kerb. As I took the right hand kink, I lifted a fair amount, and immediately felt the rear end slide as my right rear was on white line. Immediate wet roundabout training kicked in and I countersteered a bit, but was a bit confused at how the car's rear moved so much, and given that I was so close to the kerb, it was a bit of a wake-up call. I'm attributing it to the combination of mid-corner lift/slippery white line/worn-in tyres and it's kinda made me realise that even with DTC and DSC and all working, it's not infallible and there will be times that the car will catch itself and you out, so please take note yeah.

Lancelot Adolph;404894 said:

There is a limit to what DTC can do.
Once you over the limit (where DTC no longer able to correct for you), you will lost control.
Don't push the car unless you know what you are doing. Be safe on road.

I rather have DTC off most time. I get earlier "warning" without DTC ;)

Cheers

t2ribena;404881 said:
i normally switch off my DTC and DSC but the active steering does not shut down...it is still working...it is just that the traction and stability control system off nia...

T2, I'm not finding faults here. Just need a friendly advice, perhaps my interpretation of the below, extracted from the operating manual is wrong.

"Hold the button for approx. less than 10 seconds until DSC lamp remains on permanently on instrument cluster. Both Dynamic Traction Control DTC and DSC are deactivated. No stabilising or traction-enhancing intervention will now take place. Intervention by active steering* which promotes stability, is likewise deactivated...."

When it says deactivated there doesn't it mean that it gets turned off? That's how I interpret it. I would like to hear on how you interpret it. Once again not finding faults but just wanting to learn more :)

E60MSport;405335 said:
T2, I'm not finding faults here. Just need a friendly advice, perhaps my interpretation of the below, extracted from the operating manual is wrong.

"Hold the button for approx. less than 10 seconds until DSC lamp remains on permanently on instrument cluster. Both Dynamic Traction Control DTC and DSC are deactivated. No stabilising or traction-enhancing intervention will now take place. Intervention by active steering* which promotes stability, is likewise deactivated...."

When it says deactivated there doesn't it mean that it gets turned off? That's how I interpret it. I would like to hear on how you interpret it. Once again not finding faults but just wanting to learn more :)

bro no prob...here's my opinion on the statement...on one particular line

"Intervention by active steering* which promotes stability, is likewise deactivated...."

The active steering being a servotronic assisted system which provide constant variable steering ratio at diff speed also works inconjuction with the DTC/DSC program...when u steer an active steering car u are actually turning the angle sensor/decoder that will then send message to the controller for the servo motor to turn the wheel according to the input of the angle sensor...when it is disable you will use the normal rack and pinion steering system by default as fail safe to the AFS system.

in this system (AFS-DSC) the active steering will make neccessary correction on the steering input by the driver if the DSC detects that the steering input is insufficient/oversteered. For example the active steering will steer itself further if it deduce that you are not steering enough to negotiate a bend by means of feedback from the accelerometer, gyro and etc controlled by the DSC module.

from the statement, when u off the DSC, you are actually deactivating the intervention/correction function of the active steering as part of the DSC control means to stabilize the car like brakes and engine power cut...and not the active steering itself...:top:

Top Bottom