Drivetrain Error

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

INair67

I experienced this on my F10 less than a year old with less than 20000 km on the car. I have taken my car to Ingress. 2 weeks complete with no indication that they are able to diagnose the issue. Initially they claimed it was the sensor, then the Vanos, then DME and the latest is trying to swap the turbo unit. This seems like a complete trial and error troubleshooting. They claim BMW Malaysia tech is with them. Has anyone experienced the same problem.

Hi InAir67,

I had experience 4 times of Drive Train Fault as per attached picture. It usually happens in the morning start ups. When this happens, car can start but gear cannot engage. I owned it for 4 months with mileage of 4600km on the dash.

I usually switch off everything completely. Wait a minute and re-start, everything went on like usual. The last it happen was about 3 weeks ago where by I sent to Ingress Puchong. Left car there for 4 days.

Ingress guys reported to me it was a sensor fault and they have changed the sensors. I think they did a refresh of my I-drive system as well as some of my settings is no more there.

So far so good. No such repeat incidences. For your case, if you have left your car there for 2 weeks, they better have provided you with a courtesy car for your daily commute. all the best.

Attachments

• 20150319_071514.jpg
    20150319_071514.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 62
Thank you for you response. Yes they did offer me a courtesy car after 4 days. I just got a call that they finally realised this is due to a valve near the turbo mechanism. Will find out more when I collect my car later.

Hi Inair67,

Please share more as the forum is the best place to share these kind of information.

Just curious,your drive train failed completely? What courtesy car did you get?

Finally got a call from Ingress that the fault is due to a faulty valve near the Vanos. When they replaced that, the problem was gone.

The problem lies when a generic error message props up there are x number of items to verify. The technicians go about doing this mechanically not really having a clue on what's wrong. This comes about through over dependance on the software to diagnose. The skill is absent. The first thing to solve the issue is always to reinstall the software!

I got a E60 with 185K Km on it on the 4 th day after making a lot of noise.

When the failure mode came, the car had difficulty going up elevations.

Dear Inair67,

Its good that its been diagnosed and they have sorted out the problem. Hope everything gets well soon and you have your UDM back!

I also had the same experience while driving a f10 520i 2012.It just shows drivetrain. ,drive at moderate speed (no fault).

I have 2 BMW, 316i (2013) & 116i (2015) - both have same problem i.e drivetrain.... BMW warranty only upto 2 years, it happen after 2 yrs 7 months (316i).... & after 11 months (116i).... so what to do ?????, very bad experience for me ....... i'm still ding-dong .... to sell it both or what...

I am not sure the fix to my issue is the fix for all Drive Train issues - you may want to prod them to check the above. I thought the newer cars come with 5 year warranties....

I had this problem 3 weeks back,

Fixed and replace Ignition Coil that costs approx RM190/ pc

Mine is 2011 523i,

Same thing, car can run, but gear change is having problem, fixed within an hour,

Good luck.

I had this on my car few weeks back, appeared the moment I start my car in klcc parking. I restarted the car and error went away. Sent to AB for checking, they cleared the code and ask me to monitor further. Apparently for f10, this is a generic error message that can mean anything. It's quite broad and I remember my E60 used to give a more accurate error message.

Top Bottom