Driveshaft balancing

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chinlai

Club Guest
I have some free play on my drive shaft and am tempted to change the bearings/bushings and all for the centre joint.. but I was warned that by doing that I have a chance (around 20%) of it causes vibrations. According to the mech, this is caused by an unbalanced drive shaft (like a wheel needs to be balanced).This has put me off reconditioning the part now, but was wondering if anyone knew of a place which does drive shaft balancing?

Originally posted by skar19@Aug 29 2005, 09:39 PM
PM tyke he knows where to get driveshaft balanced

Did my long-shaft balancing with Ah Wai .. RM 700 .. ouch !

Originally posted by chinlai@Aug 30 2005, 10:12 AM
I have some free play on my drive shaft and am tempted to change the bearings/bushings and all for the centre joint.. but I was warned that by doing that I have a chance (around 20%) of it causes vibrations. According to the mech, this is caused by an unbalanced drive shaft (like a wheel needs to be balanced).

This has put me off reconditioning the part now, but was wondering if anyone knew of a place which does drive shaft balancing?
The components that can wear on a prop shaft (aka drive shaft aka longshaft) are as follows:
1. center U joint
2. rear U joint
3. center support bearing
4. the splined joint between the fwd and rear half of the propshaft

I have replaced both the U joints and the center support bearing on my e30 and I do not have vibrations issues thank god.However it helps to have an experienced machinist to install the U joint.It needs to be perfectly centered and aligned to the propshaft axis. :D

On the e34 i have replaced the center support bearing only.U joints seems to require replacement soon as there are clunking noises when unsynchronised gear changes are effected.

Top Bottom