Drive shaft Universal Joint

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Aero

Club Guest
Hi Can anyone advice or guide in identifying if i have a worn universal joint, or other.On low speed when engaging for 1st and 2nd gear, when releasing the clutch i can hear a thumb from the rear, or even a cling sound.Have change the propel shaft gilbo,recently. Check under the car, try to twist the propel shaft, can hear some cling cling sound coming from the center of the prop, while at the back near the axcel, can hear some cluck cluck sound. I do not know if it is normal, as in all gear it may need some free play, for them to work properly.Cheers.

Hi, it could be long shaft coupling and centre bush. I replaced mine recently and solved the clonking sound. Have a reliable workshop to check on it, shouldnt be too difficult to rectify it.

EuJax;576415 said:
Hi, it could be long shaft coupling and centre bush. I replaced mine recently and solved the clonking sound. Have a reliable workshop to check on it, shouldnt be too difficult to rectify it.

Thanks for the head up, where and how much was the rectification.

By the way i tried to push the prop shaft up and down it does not have any movement, only if i tried to twist then the is some clink clink sound in the middle, i am thinking of taking out the shield to night to double confirm the sound.

cheers

Hi there,

There's a few things:
1) you know when your uni center mount is worn when the rubber that is holding the bearing is sinking down. And the whole drive shaft is not horizontal to the ground. For changing things in the drive shaft. It's best to do item 7 as well. http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...aft/drive_shaft_cent_bearing_universal_joint/
2) You tuk tuk sound might be worn outout shaf item 1t:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...HD/M/1993/july/browse/rear_axle/output_shaft/ Pain in the neck process to refresh item 6 that is connected to the shaft.

Yes, freeplay is needed but not more than 1mm I think... If you twist and you can move the shaft, might mean that your bearing to diff might be worn.

Just my 2-cent.

Thanks for the advice.

But by looking from the diagram item 7 is actually a threaded ring rathern then a rubber mounting, are you refering to item 12 which is the center bearing.Refreshing the universal cuppling, yes its a good idea but need to find the right person to do it i hope Eujax can advice when he see my request.

With regards to the output shaft in refreshing item 6, may i know what do you mean by that, repacking the grease ?change the dust cover or chaging the Cv joint it self?

Cheers

Hi Aero,

For the drive drain renewal, u need 3 things (i did this so I know and also advised by my mechanic).
1) the guibo (universal joint in bmwfans) which u had changed.
2) the center mount which is 12. The rubber bushings will wear out and will start to sink downwards making it off center and will create a bend in your whole drive train.
3) last and mostly neglected is the joint between the front and the rear drive shaft. there is a plastic threaded coupling sitting inside the metal ring. when I changed mine, the plastic coupling is already botak!

Read the Haynes or Bentley manual if you have. It's a complicated process. It involves dismantling the whole shaft out and renew the kit sitting inside and reapply grease and fix back the cover. If you have a spare, then ask your workshop to rebuild the spare before fitting it in. Dun bother getting from chop shop as it will wear out again in a few years, worse still months. Of course brand new is ideal but I think it's not cheap. (i din do this, so this is from observation of my friend's ride and also information from Haynes book. The book actually talk about re-apply the grease. i saw item 6 in bmwfans so I added my common sense and advise to buy the repair kit (if got $$$ buy both interior and exterior, haha)) but then again, the whole thing might be cheaper if new...

hope this helps. :)

i'd say its your differential. If it is, and if you end up solving the issue, pls, do share with us, i am also looking for someone who is pro at differential rebuild.

am also awaiting for reply from any forumer that has done this, ie refresh of universal joint and also the rear diff.

Cheers

Hi Aero,

Sorry for the late respond. I had my car fixed at Optimum Power at Kayu Ara which is right after Damansara toll. I am not so mechanically sound, better if you seek advice from the pro. Where do you live?

Hi Eujax

Would appreciate if you could advice on what was change and also how much was the job. Did they able to service the differential?

Cheers

Aero, am currently out of town. Dont have the bill with me. I did not service my differential, just replaced the centre coupling bush or something like that. Bring your car to the workshop, that would be the best solution as the mech will be able to tell you alot more than i do.

Regards

will do when time allows.by the way how much was the job and the part change. cheers

Top Bottom