Dashpanel not function

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
jarance said:
Zul, is this the same problem as yours?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLn8XFkGoA
A bit different:
1. Temperature gauge - This one show max hot , mine was zero
2. Fuel Gauge - This one show full tank, mine empty tank
3. No mileage trip indicator.....only parking light and air bag light functioning

Zul, btw is your radio working?

If it is working, check whether the clock display is showing on the radio. Another thing is check whether your CD changer is working or not. Pls revert back

jarance said:

If it is working, check whether the clock display is showing on the radio. Another thing is check whether your CD changer is working or not. Pls revert back
Thanks Mr Jarance,

My radio is working, will update on clock display and CD changer condition.
Further info... just replace remote casing, now door lock and unlock work fine. Then I try this advise..open door with key, close the door, switch on at position 1 within 5 sec off back, push and hold door open button and pres door open button 3 times. My problem still unresolve....

zulkifli said:
Thanks Mr Jarance,

My radio is working, will update on clock display and CD changer condition.
Further info... just replace remote casing, now door lock and unlock work fine. Then I try this advise..open door with key, close the door, switch on at position 1 within 5 sec off back, push and hold door open button and pres door open button 3 times. My problem still unresolve....
It should be Hold Open Button and Press CLOSE button 3 times for the re-sync of the key.

jarance said:

Mr Sifu Jarance,

There's no clock display and I remove connection to the CD changer but still no progress.
I try this advise.....remove fuse 10. 34, 43 and start the and put again still no progress.

Should I buy new meter cluster?.....is it just plug and play?

zulkifli said:
Mr Sifu Jarance,

There's no clock display and I remove connection to the CD changer but still no progress.
I try this advise.....remove fuse 10. 34, 43 and start the and put again still no progress.

Should I buy new meter cluster?.....is it just plug and play?
You might have a K-bus problem. The clock display on the radio get the data from the instrument cluster via K-Bus.
Either the instrument cluster is not working or there is a shorting in the K-Bus from some other modules.
To confirm it is a K-Bus problem, you need to check whether the CD changer is working with the radio
because the changing or selection of one of the 6 CDs is via K-Bus.
You mention you remove the CD Changer. Can you confirm whether you can play some music with the CD changer.

Nope, the meter cluster is not 100% plug and play. There is mileage recorded in the cluster (IKE) and Light check Module (LCM).
If there is discrepancy in the reading between LCM and IKE module, it will show a "dot" beside the mileage display.
You need to sync this data in order to normalize the display. Both can be done using INPA or BMW Scanner diagnostic tool.

Before you decide to change the display, do the following:-
1. swap with a friend instrument cluster of similar model.
2. Try to reboot the cluster ECU (IKE) with INPA or BMW Scanner diagnostic tool.

Step 2 is easier thing to do if you have the diagnostic tool.

Dear Jarance...my cd changer work fine, any else device function through K-Bus system?

zulkifli said:
Dear Jarance...my cd changer work fine, any else device function through K-Bus system?
Multi function steering wheel. Looking at the schematic, there are others device as well for E46.

bus.jpg

http://www.bimmernav.com/images/ibus.jpg
ibus.jpg

Send to workshop today....suspect my meter problem.
Will update after get a meter from kedai potong.

Put on new meter(kedai potong)....problem settle, only "!" appear and beep2 sound before crank the engine.

Changing to a new cluster meter would trigger the tamper dot. Not sure if this can be bypassed as easily as resetting the mileage.

Yeow said:
Changing to a new cluster meter would trigger the tamper dot. Not sure if this can be bypassed as easily as resetting the mileage.
just sync the data between IKE and LCM module.

Thanks all for the advise.....
Mr. Oldman, I'm planning to repair my old inst cluster.

Hi zulkifli, I experience the same thing not too long ago. I don't use the car on daily basis, but at least once every 4 days. One day, everything on the cluster doesn't work except indicators in bottom right corner. Couldn't afford another cluster, decided to fix it.

When the cluster was disassembled, one portion of the board - the right side can be seen oxidized. Darken solder and copper traces lifted from the board. The problem was fixed by repairing the broken copper traces with another wire. It worked well after that, and obviously no tamper dot. I will try to get the picture out from my phone. Hope this helps.

Just would like to add, when the cluster is not working, turn signal still works just that there is no clicking sound and light indicator from the cluster.

Aircon magnetic clutch also wouldn't engage, probably the IHKA doesn't get external temperature information.

the symptom, engine is running at the moment
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:1276]

disassembly
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:1277]

ignore this mod
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:1278]

Oxidation, probably due to moisture
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:1279]

Everything have to be removed
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:1280]

After the fix
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:1281]