D.I.Y servicing know how

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

diarrhea

Club Guest
Hey guys noob here,Is there anyone who are able to teach me how to self service an e46 ?just minor2 ones like changing oil filter, maybe brake pads change..maybe engine oil etc?sounds kinda cheapskate for an e46 driver huh? ....Wrong, just wanna know more about my car and its engine. the more u know about it, the more u love it rite? oh in case of future economic downturn, at least we can save up abit rite?and to protect ourselves from being conned by some dodgy workshop rite? :smokin:

diarrhea;527312 said:
Hey guys noob here,

Is there anyone who are able to teach me how to self service an e46 ?just minor2 ones like changing oil filter, maybe brake pads change..maybe engine oil etc?sounds kinda cheapskate for an e46 driver huh? ....Wrong, just wanna know more about my car and its engine. the more u know about it, the more u love it rite? oh in case of future economic downturn, at least we can save up abit rite?and to protect ourselves from being conned by some dodgy workshop rite?

Try this site, bro. Good luck

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e46

DIY is not something suitable for all individuals. Its a serious hobby and it should not be confined to just cars. U need to have some basic physic knowledge and understand how things works.

In a nutshell, its just opening a size 17 drain bolt and unscrewing the oil filter, unplug the oil filter element from the filter cap, replace oil filter o-rings and screw them back in. However, in order to do this, they are many other things that you need to pay attention to.

Oil change is a combination of skills on jacking up cars, securing the car from rolling, identifying the location of the drain bolt, identifying the best tool u have in your tool bag to release the drain bolt, what to use to open the oil filter, how tight the drain bolt needs to be when tightening, so drill oil seep out, bolt won't loose and mpre importantly, u don't damage the bolt tread or crack the oil pan.

If you are a DIY person that's familiar with wrenches and dismantling things, all the about should be easy peasy for u. Otherwise, u will end up with tendency to damage things rather than fixing things.

U need to creatively use the available tools in your tool box as you may not have the designated for the job and these are part of the basic DIY skills you need to have before meddling with your BMW. I open my drain bolt with a BMW Allen key wrench, for example. Sometime I use a size 17 fixed wrench.. different methods depending on situations.. lost the bicycle wrench.. :p

My E90 does not come with a car jack, I had to use my JDM jack to lift the car. Most BMWs have low ground clearance, making oil change difficult. My 2 other cars when doing oil change, no need to jack up. :D

I have seen simple thing like DIY replace tyre also can be difficult as some don't even know u need to do anti clockwise to unscrew, they end up breaking the bolt, or damaging the tread. :eek:

For me, I really do it to save cost.. not afraid to admit.. :p

thanx astroboy and jerman...yeap...i'm a d.i.y person,so am keen in tryin it. will try it as soon got any sifu along teaching
dare not do alone leh.

Have u identified the drain bolt? size and wrench? then u need to see what tool in your tool box is most suitable for open the oil filter cap.

You'r 90% there! .. :D

astroboy;527323 said:
DIY is not something suitable for all individuals. Its a serious hobby and it should not be confined to just cars. U need to have some basic physic knowledge and understand how things works.

My E90 does not come with a car jack, I had to use my JDM jack to lift the car. Most BMWs have low ground clearance, making oil change difficult. My 2 other cars when doing oil change, no need to jack up. :D

by the way, don't work under the car with a common jack or your car jack.. use a jack stand with a wheel choke at the wheels. can be fatal if the jack fails..if afraid, use your spare tyre a backup..

cheers..

and bucket load of teh ice kow2, I drive E46 and DIY for top part of engine only (water hoses, cam cover gasket, servicing, expansion tank). Let you learn more about your car actually.

Since we are on the topic of d.i.ys and tools, does anyone own a torque wrench? What brand do you use? Where did you get it and at what price?

Salut

solo;527757 said:
Since we are on the topic of d.i.ys and tools, does anyone own a torque wrench? What brand do you use? Where did you get it and at what price?

Salut?

I have one.. hee.. hee.. but never use it. if you done enough tightening, your feel is good enough..

Facom is one of the best tool to have and lifetime warranty.. but cost a bomb. :rolleyes:

Hi all,

I also like to DIY my E46. I never sent my car to workshop. Unless need to do diagnostic.
But I think if you want to DIY your car, you must have strong knowledge and skill on Automotive Service mechanically or electrical.

I avoid DIY on my car on Sunday unless its simple thing. If its major and upon screw up, car can't drive, must avoid Sunday where workshop are mostly closed.. :p

astroboy;528042 said:
I avoid DIY on my car on Sunday unless its simple thing. If its major and upon screw up, car can't drive, must avoid Sunday where workshop are mostly closed.. :p

Yes..you are rite!!!
I have experience..wait next day to buy spare parts..

jarance;527804 said:
I have one.. hee.. hee.. but never use it. if you done enough tightening, your feel is good enough..

Facom is one of the best tool to have and lifetime warranty.. but cost a bomb. :rolleyes:

Where did you get yours?

Salut

Top Bottom