Cost of replacing tires - better with BMW ?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dmi3

Club Guest
Hi ,

My ride is a F10 528 i .
It is soon time to replace the tires on my UDM and the sevice guys in SEGAMBUT told me that BMW is offering a good deal for tire replacement .

245/45R18 DUNLOP S/MAXX x 2 and 275/40R18 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx x 2 + Installation , Balancing , Alignments allin would cost RM 7630.
I have always though they replacing tyre is best done in Klang for BMW's .

Any input on the issue from anyone ? How much did you all pay for changing all 4 tyres.
Please note than when done by BMW it comes with some sort of warranty where if the threads are less than 50% worn and the tyre gives way or gets punctured ....its a 1 to 1 replacement.

Looking forward to the input...thanks !!

Changing tires at the authorised BMW SC is pretty expensive. why dont u scout around for similar sized tires. bet u'll be surprised at the price difference. yeah.... i guess most car owners still frequent Klang to change tires......

yes the warranty offer is valid, n IIRC, there was a member here who actually claimed his tires (on his new ride tho) after the tire bulged. but the process is going to take a while....

It's highly unlikely (won't go so far as to say it will be a cold day in hell) that BMW SC will be cheaper

I got my 4 tyres changed at KW Auto Tyre Services Sdn. Bhd. No. 164D & E, Jln Chan Sow I, Off Jln Sungai Besi, last year (Sep'15) at a total of RM6,466 but with Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR (same size with yours).

After 10 months of 25,000km travelling, both front tyres wore out (uneven thread) and I got replacement at BMW Batu Pahat (Millennium Welt) at RM3,324.97. (Dunlop 245/45R18)

It depend on how you look at the difference of RM1,164.
Warranty is another issue you have to consider. How many time your tyre puncture within a year?
Brand of the tyre is also important, durability and quality. So far I am satisfied with Dunlop.
The workers' skill of the alignment is important. Never go to a inexperienced workshop as they don't realise how fast the car can go.
If I am not mistaken 1 to 1 only applicable to at least 90% of tyre thread. if more then that, buyer have to top up a little bit for 1 to 1 replacement. E.g. Thread at 70%, you have to pay 30% of new tyre fee.

BMW is definitely cost a bit higher but if not much difference then you can consider that as an insurance for your tyre. Please check with difference authorised dealers, you might surprise there will be a price difference. Klang have the cheapest type in town but beware of the manufacturing date (stated on the tyre), make sure you get not more than 1 year from the manufactured date as the life time is normally less than 3 or 4 years.

gendong said:
Changing tires at the authorised BMW SC is pretty expensive. why dont u scout around for similar sized tires. bet u'll be surprised at the price difference. yeah.... i guess most car owners still frequent Klang to change tires......

yes the warranty offer is valid, n IIRC, there was a member here who actually claimed his tires (on his new ride tho) after the tire bulged. but the process is going to take a while....

fifty5 said:
It's highly unlikely (won't go so far as to say it will be a cold day in hell) that BMW SC will be cheaper
Thanks for the input . The service assistant was so sure that his pricing was good and just with a little premium only as they have launched a complaint to BMW that thier pricing was too high and no one was using thier service .
Would be nice to get info on how much people spend in Klang . Mike Tann spend 6.5k - Extra 1k from what was quoted to me but in my case its Dunlop tires which is slightly more expensive if memory serves me rite .

MikeTan said:
I got my 4 tyres changed at KW Auto Tyre Services Sdn. Bhd. No. 164D & E, Jln Chan Sow I, Off Jln Sungai Besi, last year (Sep'15) at a total of RM6,466 but with Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR (same size with yours).

After 10 months of 25,000km travelling, both front tyres wore out (uneven thread) and I got replacement at BMW Batu Pahat (Millennium Welt) at RM3,324.97. (Dunlop 245/45R18)

It depend on how you look at the difference of RM1,164.
Warranty is another issue you have to consider. How many time your tyre puncture within a year?
Brand of the tyre is also important, durability and quality. So far I am satisfied with Dunlop.
The workers' skill of the alignment is important. Never go to a inexperienced workshop as they don't realise how fast the car can go.
If I am not mistaken 1 to 1 only applicable to at least 90% of tyre thread. if more then that, buyer have to top up a little bit for 1 to 1 replacement. E.g. Thread at 70%, you have to pay 30% of new tyre fee.

BMW is definitely cost a bit higher but if not much difference then you can consider that as an insurance for your tyre. Please check with difference authorised dealers, you might surprise there will be a price difference. Klang have the cheapest type in town but beware of the manufacturing date (stated on the tyre), make sure you get not more than 1 year from the manufactured date as the life time is normally less than 3 or 4 years.

Thank bro . This was really helpful . I wanted to know what the going rate is . Looks like the BMW pricing premium is minimal considering the warranty and the peice of mind tat comes with it .
Would be curios to know if others paid the same or not...

dmi3 said:
Sport max 050 ...why do you ask ? Big difference in both ?
I found out that the price for this tyre is a lot cheaper than Continental and Michelin high end range but unsure about the performance. I was scouting for tyres and was recommended by tyre shops on Sport Max 050 Plus as it's made in Japan. Hence just trying to find out more information about it as well because I don't see many reviews online.

dmi3 said:
Sport max 050 ...why do you ask ? Big difference in both ?
I found out that the price for this tyre is a lot cheaper than Continental and Michelin high end range but unsure about the performance. I was scouting for tyres and was recommended by tyre shops on Sport Max 050 Plus as it's made in Japan. Hence just trying to find out more information about it as well because I don't see many reviews online.

Top Bottom