Confessions of E46 newbie

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

moriz

Club Guest
Car : E46 318i CKD (Nov. 03)Mileage : 58KOnwership : 3 weeks plus The spare keys were OK when they reprogrammed it but now its acting up again. I cant start the engine with the spare key but when i pull it out, start using the main key, stop, put the spare key back again - its can start pulak....:confused: Anywayssss....I've sent the car for the first full non-partisan check up at a recommended workshop (Autopex Glenmarie) and this is the damage.First the good news:All mechanical parts showed little wear and tear as the past woman owner must have drove the car like a kancil in a housing area. Now - the bad news:As a result of limited use, some of the gaskets (O ring beside the last ignition coil and oil sump gasket) have leaked during time and the rear rotors have warped even though the brake pads are still thick. Arrrggh........So I replaced the following:1. Rear Rotors2. Rear Brake Pad, sensors, fluid3. Engine and gear box mount4. O ring at camshaft5. Replace Fuel Filter 6. Replace plugs (Ori BMW NGK)Total RM2050.To do this week:1. Oil sump gasket replacement (gasket is cheap but the labour is......) 2. Gear oil change (for my piece of mind)3. Radiator flushing (for my piece of mind too) 4. Belt replacement & tensioners (ok...ok....I'm being paranoid!)The car is already running like a dream but I am a perfectionist. This is getting addictive...... But that would be it for now. The expecting wife is already becoming sensitive that I pay more attention to her car than her!Hell has no fury than a pregnant woman. Damn you, BMW.......

Moriz,

Firstly, congrats on getting your good-condition ride, and welcome, welcome to the club. You will find many fellow fanatics here.

Secondly, all of us hardcore addicts can emphatize with your addiction. I am among the guiltiest transgressor perpetrating the the crime of spending more time, energy and resources in the car than in other areas more deserving...

It is common for guys here to lavish attention to their cars at the expense of the attention on their spouse, so ordinarily, I would just chuckle when I read posts like this.

However, the line ought to be drawn when the spouse is in her current condition. So, unless massive discord at home, endless tales about how daddy neglects family and children even while in the womb repeated endlessly at home and at all family gatherings, and embossed with grander details when in-laws are involved is your cup of tea.... allow me to pontificate.

Pregnant wife deserves more attention than your car.

:D

Now, back to your car, my suggestion is to ensure you are dealing with a reliable workshop recommended by knowledgable friends. You are going through the initial period of bringing up a previously-owned car up to standard, and your quest for perfectionism will cost you an arm and a leg even if you are careful, and the rest of your limbs with a lung and kidney thrown in if you are not.

What you've done so far seems quite standard. I would have gone for other types of spark plugs, like Bosch or Denso Iridium, but never mind.

As for the belt, you should be able to see whether they are cracking on the edges or not, esp when you bend them slightly. If no sign of cracking, probably no need to change for now, but, since it is a low-cost item, small price for the additional peace of mind.

Other than that, the list seems fine. Am surprised you are not complaining about any sound when going over bumps caused by bushes (esp lower arm bush). Watch out for that in the near future.

Enjoy your ride, and remember, be fair to the two loves in your life. The expecting one should have higher priority. :cool:

My Mantra:

1. I will not think or make any statements about the beemer in my wife's presence.

2. I will not neglect my other car even though it has been relegated to a uncovered parking lot. I'm sorry Frontier.....the germans made me do it.....

3. I will not wake up in the morning, peek at the window and smile like an idiot when I see the beemer. If my wife catches me doing this - I will be sleeping in the car for good.

4. I will not suggest bavarian names for my baby like - Ahmad Hamann, Kamarul Schnitzer or Breyton Badawi to my wife....

5. Japanese is good - Bavarians are expensive...

Curse you, BMW.........

My Mantra:

1. I will not think or make any statements about the beemer in my wife's presence.

- Good resolution, but this one will be very hard to keep. Post here more often to get it out of your system.

2. I will not neglect my other car even though it has been relegated to a uncovered parking lot. I'm sorry Frontier.....the germans made me do it.....

- Aiyo.... no comment.

3. I will not wake up in the morning, peek at the window and smile like an idiot when I see the beemer. If my wife catches me doing this - I will be sleeping in the car for good.

- Wake up in the morning, smile like an idiot at the wife, and pay her lavish attention. Then you can smile like an idiot at the car for the rest of the day.

4. I will not suggest bavarian names for my baby like - Ahmad Hamann, Kamarul Schnitzer or Breyton Badawi to my wife....

- Moriz, that is a good one. Badrulsham Megat Wijaya? I assume you are expecting a boy?

5. Japanese is good - Bavarians are expensive...

- But we still love them...

First of all, welcome to the forum and do enjoy your stay here...

BlackCat

PS: Btw, how much did you pay to replace all the mountings?

Heyya Lee 36268,

Wise words indeed.

Don't know yet if its a boy or a girl. Will know in about a months time. But I'm not particular as long as its a healthy baby.

I've been looking at that RECARO stroller cum baby carrier......hmm......its looks good with the black leather seats but its gonna burn my pocket........resist! resist!

Hi Blackcat,

i cant remember off hand but its about RM400ish for both engine and gear mount. Lemme check and tell you later.

hey Moriz...i got the same car as yours about 7 weeks ago...and been staring and smiling at it the moment i open the door, finding excuses to go out even doing groceries...making sure not a single scratch on the car, not a single dirt, etc....
so trust me ..u r not alone...and about the cost of repairs....just let your wifey falls in love with the car..and the bills wont mean anything later on...

heyya love bmw,

Am gonna pickup the beemer this evening after she spent at night at the workshop.

The problems were just leaky gaskets around the oil sump, torque converter and gear box. I'd rather change the gaskets and o ring now before it affects the other mechanical parts...

But they had dismantle the whole thing!

Its kinda scary watching your torque converter lying on the floor on the floor!

So its good as new now (also with new gear oil, engine flush, mobil 1, air filter, new hoses etc)

....albeit I'm RM2500 broke but its a small price to pay for peace of mind in the future. The good thing is that there was limited wear and tear on the mechanical parts as the mileage was only 57k. But leaky gaskets after irregular usage is expected lah...so you win some, you lose some...

In total I spent RM4500 to get it back to mint condition....but once you floor the pedal.......ahhh.....no regrets...

Shaifulo,

Apa nak buat?....makan roti lorsss till next paycheck.

hey bro moriz, dont worry...u r no alone. i think we are the only bunch of guys that keep all the receipts after repairing the car. u have a mint car, and u know it can run fast when u put yur feet to the pedal...i have done around 180km/h with my wife staring at me...hahahaha. it is a just nice feeling even when u r eating roti till the next paycheck

Do not know whether its true or not but the Auto Bavarian Engineer said that E46 maintenance is much easier than E90 provided schedule services accordingly.

Hey guys,

I've been a member of this forum for some time, and a follower even longer. Had been wanting to get my UDM for ages. Toyed with idea of E36 328, but finally I got my 2001 E46 325!

So as I get more into the car, would hopefully be able to contribute more to this forum.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard alxy !!

Hope u shall join our TT and enhance your experience in services, spare part and maintenance. This will help you to optimize your knowledge in bimmers and enjoy the ride then.

acidburn, i have heard about the TTs and their obvious benefits. But quite difficult for me. Too many family and work commitments. Still would love to join one day. Let's see how it goes. Cheers!

Engine sounds roughly

moriz, did you manage to rectify the rough sound of the engine, I am havinf the same problem too.

Top Bottom