Common problems on E46: the "75k mile list"

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
well, mine have not reached 75k miles and already the following two items have been changed:-

Accessory Belt and Tensioner Failure
Worn tensioners and idler pullies will sound like a squealing noise from the engine bay. Belts should be inspected for cracks regularly. If a belt happens to snap, the cooling system will fail as the water pump will cease to operate. Power steering and the alternator will also fail to work. Again, pull over and shut the car off immediately should you suspect a belt failure or see the temperature gauge rise past the 3/4 mark.

Oil Seperator
Non M cars. If you have a poor idle and periodic Check Engine lights, you may have a bad oil seperator. This valve tends to go bad and introduce a vacuum leak which produces the above symptoms and will eventually strand you somewhere. We started seeing these a year ago and we are now repairing more and more cars with this problem. Typical mileage seems to be around 80k. The good news is that the part is only around $75..the bad news is that the labor runs about 4 hours, depending on the year of the car.

This one below was changed as a "precaution" and also to increase performance using Powerflex brand :-

Lower Control Arm Bushing Failure
Common symptoms for torn or cracked lower control arm bushings are undesired front toe changes during cornering, vague and rubbery feel in the steering, and vibration experienced while braking at freeway speeds. Non-M bushings are commonly replaced with M3 bushings to increase performance with little to no change in comfort.

To be honest, e46 318i 2.0 valvetronic is a sick car. A lot of things starts to fall apart after 3rd year lifespan. The only advantage is its fuel economy which i am really impressed, 680km drive with a full tank without a refill :D

wow, for a 2 litre car can go until 680km with full tank, that is amazing, especially its a BMW

Originally posted by Mouse@Mar 4 2006, 11:01 AM
wow, for a 2 litre car can go until 680km with full tank, that is amazing, especially its a BMW
680km for full tank...amazing man. perhaps it's the way you drive...shell??

I have changed my lower control arm bushing twice in 4-years and was complaining how fragile it can be until E46F told me it's a common pwobwem.

Hey braders...

Just my 2 cents worth of other freaking "common problems" on the e46...

Air-cond resistor that controls blower speed
Water leak from doors: routing & glue issue
Tensioners n belts
Rear exle jerk or tuk sound
Fan clutch slowing down or whinning sound
engine cover seal and oil filter seal

it seems like most of the issues other than regular service are "common" as the mechanic puts it...

Bit sad for a RM265k when new car...

Guess its common to go to workshop also huh...knn

Romeo

Originally posted by romeo_v12@Mar 6 2006, 09:48 AM
Hey braders...

Just my 2 cents worth of other freaking "common problems" on the e46...

Air-cond resistor that controls blower speed
Water leak from doors: routing & glue issue
Tensioners n belts
Rear exle jerk or tuk sound
Fan clutch slowing down or whinning sound
engine cover seal and oil filter seal

it seems like most of the issues other than regular service are "common" as the mechanic puts it...

Bit sad for a RM265k when new car...

Guess its common to go to workshop also huh...knn

Romeo
Heheh... I kena 5 of the 6 items you had highlighted. Yes, it's quite sad for a top European product.

I heard lots of horror stories on CBUs too but it's not just BMWs. Mercs got their share of 'common' pwobwems so sez my mekanik.

Ahhhh ur car 6 pot ah raymond cannot make it lahhh, cant even reach 600km ekkekekekekeke dont ever try it, even an e39 520i with 70 litre of tank full can't reach kuala terengganu from jb.....hihihihiih proven already by me.

Top Bottom