comments on e46 318i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

evox2

Club Guest
hi, I'll be getting e46 318i jap spec m-sport next week. However i heard many bad comments on 318i, they told me few been repaired so frequent as monthly which cost over few k. How true is it? They mentioned BMW electronic parts is very easy to get spoil. They told me to get 320i is much better. Can any of the sifu here kind enough to give me some guidelines?I checked the car is registered at 2005, mileage 70k plus. All power window, side mirrors all ok.

sometimes it depends on luck also. is best if the car have service record. take the car for inspection before purchasing it to minimise damage to wallet later.

this issue has been discussed over and over and over again! read the thread about maintenance for the E46 and then decide for yourself before asking us to decide for you!

sorry evox2...too many people just don't take the time to read anymore these days. they don't do their own research and expect answers!

BMW electronics easy to get spoil? why ? cos your friend poured holy water on it ! why is it repaired very frequently..cos he's a whinner...he drives an expensive car and when something goes wrong, he want people to pity him..next he will whine about his job...about his social life...bla...bla...bla...

there should be a ruling in the forum for this. issues that has been discussed over and over again should be shot !

have you ever asked yourself his question, if driving a bimmer sucks...why is everyone trying to get hold of it or why are there so many units on the road? are malaysians that...huh?...dumb!

i don't quite understand it myself. i've owned a few BMWs, and all my visits to the mechanic have been due to 1) routine maintenance, 2) replacement of wear & tear items, and 3) backside itchy for mods. the visits have never been due to 'problems'. oh, as for my E46, ownership has been very sweet indeed.. :wink:

p/s - only bad comment i've heard about the 318 is that they are 2 cylinders short.

mizhan;400523 said:
p/s - only bad comment i've heard about the 318 is that they are 2 cylinders short.

:trytofly:

Hellraiser;400516 said:
this issue has been discussed over and over and over again! read the thread about maintenance for the E46 and then decide for yourself before asking us to decide for you!

sorry evox2...too many people just don't take the time to read anymore these days. they don't do their own research and expect answers!

BMW electronics easy to get spoil? why ? cos your friend poured holy water on it ! why is it repaired very frequently..cos he's a whinner...he drives an expensive car and when something goes wrong, he want people to pity him..next he will whine about his job...about his social life...bla...bla...bla...

there should be a ruling in the forum for this. issues that has been discussed over and over again should be shot !

have you ever asked yourself his question, if driving a bimmer sucks...why is everyone trying to get hold of it or why are there so many units on the road? are malaysians that...huh?...dumb!

:dito:

CHILL...
E46 is great...Get it check out before you burn a hole in ur wallet..

Ken46;400537 said:
CHILL...
E46 is great...Get it check out before you burn a hole in ur wallet..

same principle applies when you take a girl out....get her checked out too!

sorry to upset you. In fact i did searched before, i maybe new to this forum but i had been in zerotohundred for long time. I just try to find out is there any problems with so called electronic problems that i heard.

From what i searched here, the most common things to change is expansion tank, lower control arm? Something i'm unclear is the thermostat thing? Is there 2 thermostat in bimmers? How frequent need to be changed?

Anyway, peace guys. I'll be getting my e46 in 2 or 3 days time. Really can't wait for UDM :top:

evox2;400316 said:
hi,

I'll be getting e46 318i jap spec m-sport next week. However i heard many bad comments on 318i, they told me few been repaired so frequent as monthly which cost over few k. How true is it? They mentioned BMW electronic parts is very easy to get spoil. They told me to get 320i is much better. Can any of the sifu here kind enough to give me some guidelines?
I checked the car is registered at 2005, mileage 70k plus. All power window, side mirrors all ok.

two remarks :

1. 318i required so freq as monthly which cost over a few k

- this matter has been clarified and discussed in the many threads. try looking again..and again the root cause of the problem. maybe your friend bought a junk from the scrap yard...

2. bmw electronic parts is very easy to get spoil

- which electronic parts are you refering to ? pls be specific. if you go see a doctor, the doctor will also ask you "mana sakit..?" ...right? how come your friends electronic parts so easy to rosak? did he buy genuine parts? or did he buy it from pasar road and try to pass it off as original ???

after all said and done...who will you listen to? your friend (whom we don't know) or the people in this forum (whom you don't know) but may know more about the BMW than your friend?

evox2;400569 said:
sorry to upset you. In fact i did searched before, i maybe new to this forum but i had been in zerotohundred for long time. I just try to find out is there any problems with so called electronic problems that i heard.

From what i searched here, the most common things to change is expansion tank, lower control arm? Something i'm unclear is the thermostat thing? Is there 2 thermostat in bimmers? How frequent need to be changed?

Anyway, peace guys. I'll be getting my e46 in 2 or 3 days time. Really can't wait for UDM :top:

in the threads it is mentioned may many times to get a trusted reliable mechanic to have a look at the car before purchasing? have you done this? if no...why? you don't seem very clear what to change and what not to change. what about the hoses? is there a service record from the previous owner? why so eager to change this and that lah?

come to our regular tt sessions. make friends. buy drinks (teh only) and if you are nice enough, you may get someone who knows enough about the car to help with your selection or who can direct you to a reliable mechanic. pay a little money. save alot of headache.

Hellraiser, thanks for your comments. Too bad i'm not from west malaysia, if not i'll be joining u for tt.
It just generally i heard lots of people mentioned 318i lots of problems, thats why i'm asking for comments here. I trusted forummers here because i know at least they are all driving bimmers.

May i know if gt1 scan is very important before buying the car? What type of diagnostics it can scanned?

thanks again.

I had 318i for 1 year, 325i for 2 years now I'm stuck with 330i since last year. All E46 facelift.
I visit the dealer only during routine service and experience no electrical problems. I had problem on electrical only on my 318i E36 (power windows, central lock) and experience no similar problem when I changed it to 320i E36. probably just bad luck :D

for GT1, it can detect if bimmer have faulty in engine, electrical, ABS etc.

evox2;400595 said:
Hellraiser, thanks for your comments. Too bad i'm not from west malaysia, if not i'll be joining u for tt.
It just generally i heard lots of people mentioned 318i lots of problems, thats why i'm asking for comments here. I trusted forummers here because i know at least they are all driving bimmers.

May i know if gt1 scan is very important before buying the car? What type of diagnostics it can scanned?

thanks again.

thanks for the kind feedback guys. tommorrow i'll get a gt1 scan to prevent getting a lemon. all the feedback very much appreciated!

i drives 318 everyday for 2 years..no major problem yet,just normal,routine services..

evox2;400572 said:
may i know what is GT 1 inspection? can what it diagnose?

It can diagnose almost every fault that can be detect with the thausand sensor in a car..so u will know that car have major problem or not.

Yup E46 have two thermostat bro..better to change it every 5-6 years.:top:

just had gt1 test today. Everything running good except for camshaft top sensor. They quoted rm300 for oem or rm450 for the original part. Finally i'll have peace of mind to get this UDM :top:

The mech recommended me to have injectors cleaning, decarb, change gear oil, fuel filter.

Top Bottom