Cold Start

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

cjb

Club Guest
Hi Guys,I need a lil advice and hope you guys can help me out with this. It all started a month back while I was away; my mum could not start the car ('89 E34) in the morning and when she could, she could not keep it idling with out having her foot on the escalator. Based on what lil knowledge I have, it had something to do air flow valve (not sure the proper term logy). So I took it to my usual mechanic, he serviced the air flow valve, adjusted my tappets and changed the spark plugs. He also said that my plug cables should be replaced when he could not fix the problem. Now, I have gone to seek a second opinion on Saturday. This guy now says that he will need to redo what my usual mechanic has done as he feels it was not done proper as the tappet sounds out off alignment and the engine sounds very rough. As of this morning, he says that my camshaft is worn out, 7 out of the 12 circular thingy is out by a couple of mm. His advice is that he will continue to try to fix cold start problem without a top over haul or replacing the camshaft. He will only be able to let me know the outcome after a couple of cold starts in the next few days.This is my dilemma;1. Should do the top over haul (approx 1.2k with out replacing parts)?2. Should I just replace my engine block to a M20B25, currently M20B20 (manual)? which might just cost me as much as the option no 1. Hope I could get some feedback from you… Thanks

Top Bottom