Cleaning rims, any tips?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sudonano

Club Guest
Hi there,Been wondering if there is a better way to clean the brake dust off the rims. With the 18-inch double-spoke M light alloy wheels (style 350M), it is quite difficult to stick my hand in between the two spokes with a car wash sponge/cloth to clean out all the brake dust, not to mention, it takes a long time, and you can rip your skin in the process.Is there any other way to clean it? I saw rim cleaners in spray bottles being sold at DIY stores, but I don't know if it is safe to even use those. I was planning on getting a spray bottle and filling with car shampoo+ water, and spraying it, cause I notice car shampoo clumps up the dust together. Wonder if it will work...Any other tips?Thanks!

sudonano,

May I introduce you to Alien clean. I personally have been using this cleaner on my rims, interior & exterior crevices, leather seats, etc. It is seriously good, really. You will be surprised with its capability to remove stubborn stains like bird droppings and greasy / sticky surfaces. It can be diluted or use at full strength for maximum cleaning power. For your case just spray on the diluted alien clean and use soft bristle brush to agitate the brake dust. It works like a charm for my style 5, its a beeotch to clean these by the way.

Is it safe? Well our detailing sifu KC has been using it on his client's supercars, so your UDM will be fine. The only problem is when you enjoy using it, you will find yourself busy hunting down all the dirt and grime with the alien clean and for all you know its finished already.

Here's the link to check out more on the product:

http://www.detailien.com/p/clean.html

I'm not a salesmen or whatsoever, just sharing my good experience on a fabulous product.

I've used Meguiars CHROME wheels cleaner on my rims & its really strong chemical where it can remove all contaminants on the chrome area & even the 'painted' area...it also damaged the painted areas so be careful when using the wheels cleaner...normal car shampoo will only do normal job & doesn't have the ability to remove those tar or heavy brake dust

wash your car regularly, then you won't need highly abrasive detergents.

Abu Khalid;836847 said:
Add a layer of rim coating, makes the job much easier

Agree with Abu Khalid. Send your car to G Guard Glenmarie (but usually long queue. You even need to fix an appointment to wash your car. Suggest you send to G Guard Kajang). After you do wheel coating, then you can wash your car regularly (normal wash will do but don't ever send your car to car wash that use pink chemical).

I did sent my car to G Guard. I bought diamond coating package + wind screen treatment that cost me about RM880. The result is amazing. After three weeks, the car still looks like in showroom. I just send for normal wash at G Guard also which cost me RM15 (or RM12.. I couldn't remember). I suggest you try it out.

Please go through their packages here http://www.gguard.com.my/other-coatings.html#wheel.

Rgds.

Abu Khalid;836847 said:
Add a layer of rim coating, makes the job much easier

true as well. all my cars rims are coated with the same stuff they applied on the body. with regular washing, I just need water to remove brake dust.

Thanks for the suggestions!

1. The one I saw at the DIY was Meguiar's Chrome and Aluminium (2 different versions). Though I was not sure which to try, worried about the paint so I gave it a pass. Looks like it was a good idea. BDP looks. good, and so does the BMW Original one. Time to go hunting in the stores!

2. It is washed every weekend, once a week, at home (labour of love for it lol)

3. I was considering these coating things, but actually how do they work? I was planning if I were to do a rim coat, might as well do a body coat too. I heard there are companies that give like a 2 year warranty on the "Teflon" type of coat, (someone I know got it done in Sunway for an A6 Hybrid), and once a year you need to like renew the coat again, but is it actually worth it?

Thanks again!

Is coating worth it? I believe you need to ask the guys personally.. follow the Rusted Jackets on their next breakfast run, or simply show up at MMZ tonite or tomorrow nite.

The Brake Dust Pro that brother Tee recommended appears interesting so I went out to ACE Hardware @ Publika to look for it but they do not carry the product there. I then sent an enquiry to dipyourcar.com and the response I received was that they do not send their products outside of the US. Sigh...

Top Bottom