Civic 2.0 or e46 328i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Zee77

Club Guest
Dear Bros, I'll be upgrading my 4 year old honda City to new Civic 2.0. Currently my daily drive is e46 328i which is 8 years old. The bimmer is in good condition but occasionally some parts need to be changed due to wear & tear. FC is bearable keeping in mind that it's a 2800cc car and the sweet sounding in-line 6 is great! I am now working in KL & home is in Penang. Just wondering should i switch my daily ride to the new Civic and keep the bimmer in Penang or stick with the bimmer? I would also be grateful to get feedback from any bros who has Civic 2.0 regarding any problems with the car?One word of advice on City Vtec, watch out for gear problem. Mine has just passed the warranty period by 1 year and the gearbox has problem engaging the 4th gear. Must be the stupid 7 gear system which comes with the car. Honda Malaysia refused to change the 'box FOC and a new one costs RM20K!! New City & Jazz reverted back to 5 gear system again. Definitely something wrong with the 7 gear system. Cheers & have a great weekend guys!!

Bro,

My advice keep yr E46 for daily drive & buy an E39 for long distance travelling.:top:

Zee77;381792 said:
Dear Bros,
I'll be upgrading my 4 year old honda City to new Civic 2.0. Currently my daily drive is e46 328i which is 8 years old. The bimmer is in good condition but occasionally some parts need to be changed due to wear & tear. FC is bearable keeping in mind that it's a 2800cc car and the sweet sounding in-line 6 is great!
I am now working in KL & home is in Penang. Just wondering should i switch my daily ride to the new Civic and keep the bimmer in Penang or stick with the bimmer?
I would also be grateful to get feedback from any bros who has Civic 2.0 regarding any problems with the car?
One word of advice on City Vtec, watch out for gear problem. Mine has just passed the warranty period by 1 year and the gearbox has problem engaging the 4th gear. Must be the stupid 7 gear system which comes with the car. Honda Malaysia refused to change the 'box FOC and a new one costs RM20K!! New City & Jazz reverted back to 5 gear system again. Definitely something wrong with the 7 gear system.

Cheers & have a great weekend guys!!

the gearbox in the City is a CVT,its got variable ratios..the 7speed are just virtual ratios which i think is just pure gimmick cuz its just crap.

just leave it in auto(cvt) mode and be done with..for overtaking,i'd go to S from D to get the shorter ratio program for quicker pick-up,then once u've passed the traffic,just go back to D.i've had my Jazz for 2years now and so far ots been pretty good.i've already clocked 65000km...btw,i'll change the CVT to a manual if the thing goes kaput on me.the Jazz/City is such an easy car to drive,i don't think it'll be much of a hassle to drive a manual.

so keep both ur cars in KL and use the City for city driving and the e46 for ur balik kampung..no need to waste money,well,that's what i'd do..of course,in the end its your money so only u can decide.

i was between civic 2.0 and a yr2000 E46 328 about 15mths ago....can't decide because one is brand new car and the other is already almost 8 yrs old but in a very good condition ( the owner is a friend of mine). had a civic EK3 before and it never failed me, thus i have good confidence with civic lineage. But E46 is just a beauty and definitely a driving machine! in short, i m ok with both cars.

dunno how to choose, so i let my wife decide as she would be using it most of the time. she finally chose civic because it is a brand new car and she said that bimmer was an old car....

after a yr over... i m still in this forum lurking around.... not that i dun like the civic... it is a very good and reliable car... and it drives good too... but still... something is still missing in civic... it lacks character like the bimmer...

I have the 2.0L VTec Civic and a E46 325i. After spending a day with the Civic i long to get back in to the bimmer. The Civic may be good at getting from point A to B but the UDM is certainly the one that brings the smile. The 325i is my choice. :)

i would buy the new city...its all u need as a daily drive...plus some fun factor like 120hp, 5-speed auto (they replaced the CVT), paddle shift, shift-hold control...and keep the 328i for real driving pleasure

my wife has the civic 2.0 too...and like many has said it lacks the character and purpose. it's not that fast, not that comfortable, not that fuel economical, its also not that cheap...hmmm...wonder why i had bought it...

initialM;381803 said:
Bro,

My advice keep yr E46 for daily drive & buy an E39 for long distance travelling.:top:

Yup ... agree with bro initialM :top:

Thanks for the feedback guys.. Yup i certainly agree that the bimmer is the better drive.. 2800cc with in-line 6 is just great!!! Bro InitialM, dont think i need an e39 cos my e46 is wonderful and stable on the highway.. Bro Supergripen, better be wary of the CVT gearbox dude.. The City was good before the gearbox problem. Very functional and economical for town driving but too light for highway driving.. That's where the 328 comes in... haha! Wow, ess530i looks like you only have negative views on the Civic.. Dont think i would another City though.. Civic does look sporty and lower.. City looks tall and narrow.. Looks mildly improved in the new one.. But I know i'll regret if I get the City again.. Bro Shama, get a bimmer larrr as your weekend car... 3 series is definitely a driver's car.. Well, i guess i'll just keep the 328 here and buy the civic as my daily ride... 328 to be used when required ie; when i need power, prestige and performance!! Cheers guys! BImmer rules..

Top Bottom