Car Alarm and Security Question

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

joshuawq

Club Guest
Hello All Sifus!I just recently bought the new 323i. I had not planned to buy a BMW so early however my car, a civic 2.0(08), was stolen right under my nose in front of my house somewhere between 3am to 6am. So that certainly sped up my decision and helped give me a valid reason(for my wife) to get a BMW. So far all claims etc etc has been good.I was wondering if this is a good place to discuss about our security system(?) or would it be better to just ask my questions during TT sessions.But I'll ask anyway,1. How safe is our STOCK SECURITY SYSTEM?2. Do we need to install aftermarket SECURITY SYSTEM? eg. Cobra, GPS etc etc3. I was told not a single new BMW (after 08) has been stolen, is this true? (unless driver hijacked)4. Other advise appreciated.The questions are very general in nature, but I really want to hear as many opinions as possible. ThanksRegards,Joshua

joshuawq;471542 said:
Hello All Sifus!

I just recently bought the new 323i. I had not planned to buy a BMW so early however my car, a civic 2.0(08), was stolen right under my nose in front of my house somewhere between 3am to 6am. So that certainly sped up my decision and helped give me a valid reason(for my wife) to get a BMW.

So far all claims etc etc has been good.

I was wondering if this is a good place to discuss about our security system(?) or would it be better to just ask my questions during TT sessions.

But I'll ask anyway,

1. How safe is our STOCK SECURITY SYSTEM?
2. Do we need to install aftermarket SECURITY SYSTEM? eg. Cobra, GPS etc etc
3. I was told not a single new BMW (after 08) has been stolen, is this true? (unless driver hijacked)
4. Other advise appreciated.

The questions are very general in nature, but I really want to hear as many opinions as possible.

Thanks

Regards,
Joshua

Hi bro, seems Bimmers attract lots of ex-Honda owners. My Accord 2.4 ('08) was stolen right from my house porch too 4 mths ago, after a short 7mths of ownership. Thank God i got back 100% claim of insured sum.
I think BMW's security system is pretty solid, u need the key fob to start the engine unlike Honda's useless immobiliser (or is it e-Mobiliser). Unless ur 3er has comfort access, and ur car is parked in ur porch and the key is within the range. I read about bimmers with comfort access havng security prob fr other forums.
I didn't install any extra safety features in my 120i, besides the occasional use of RM40+ steering wheel lock. What to do, Cheras security sucks and the guards were hired to watch birds.

Dear joshuawq,

I did ask the SA about the security of Bimmers. I also worry about the comfort access. The SA told me that the effective range for comfort access is about 1 meter. I failed to open the door when SA hold the key at the other side of the car. I am not sure how reliable is that. Really need advise from experts here.

Hi,

I own a e46 325i and have a problem with my stock alarm....It does not seem to want to open the doors or booth when the buttons are pressed...But i do not have problems starting the car or locking it manually with the key.

Question is, is it adviseable to put in a third party alarm system, if yes - will it affect the stock alarm that exists currently? I was told the key has a chip in it and it is supposed to have a rechargeable battery..seems like the battery just does not want to be charged...

Please help
Thanks in Advance,
Suresh

I think most Euro premium marques (BMW, Merc, Audi etc) comes with pretty good Car Alarm system. They are as good as the best after market alarm, sometimes better.

The reason why these days you hear so many car jacking is that the security system has gotten so good it is hard to steal the car otherwise.

Also, most of the car secutiry system are linked to the key now. So you have a cumbersome second remote if you change.

I would advise not to bother.

not much you can do to prevent ur car from being stolen. Just to make u happy and satisfied and not regret in the future with this word " why i'm not install anything...if i install.... " . So at least this word came out " i've try anything...but still happened...nothing can be done". just remain with existing alarm system, and add vibration sensor. Add brake lock ( can find it at carrefour, steering lock seems to be no normal type of lock)

Top Bottom