Can AB Penang repair SMG

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Alan Teh

Club Guest
I have doubts AB Penang can fix my SMG, i asked them whats my problem of my car and they said is my clutch and actuator and give me a quote on the items. I agreed and paid a Rm3000 deposit and fixed a date for my car to send in the workshop. They said the process of fixing my car will take about 3 - 4 days. It have been a week now. So i finally put my car in their workshop, when i am in HK they called me again and adviced me to change the gear sensor and i agreed. On the 10 of march i want to collect my car and they said my car is on the test run and said i collect it on the 11 March. On 11 of march i phoned in and ask is my car ready to be collected and they said my car is still giving me the same problem after they have advcied me to changed all the parts they deem is faulty. Now they claimed is my GEARBOX !!!!! is faulty. It seems like AB in Penang will adviced their customer to change the parts one by one till they get the JACKPOT. Now my car is like a guinea pig for the mechanics to test run my car !!! Is it when BMW created a car with such an advanced technology till they cant even repair it? or do they have any idea to repair it? Maybe i am wrong, but i doubt that AUTO BAVARIA in Penang have any clues in repairing SMG.

oh great, now they claim is my o2 sensor and need to be replaced and cant guarantee me it will solve my problem...no wonder they are brand as CHOP HEAD COMPANY

Call the BMW helpline, and tell them your problem.
Enphasize you had terrible experience in Panang Service Center, and you want a solution ASAP. And also tell them you are advising your friends not to buy a BMW anymore.

You might get unexpected result :)

Bro Alan

This is my opinion ...SMG is an advance mechanical and electrical feature for e46 generation. If I am not mistaken SMG on e46 was the detune M3 SMG used on E36 track cars. Therefore, this is probably a feature which these AB or any mechanics do not fix daily or weekly like the other E46s in Malaysia.

When it was launched in Malaysia, the technicians were sent sent for several technical levels of training but over the years, may be they left AB and with the new models and technologies coming in, the mgmt may not have backfill the lost certified technicians. I know about this coz I happen to know a guy who was sent to such training on the SMG gearbox or engine and have left BMW Malaysia.

I agree it is unprofessional of AB Penang to "tai chi" around. May be, they did not do their homework to look back on the technical aspects, technician qualification and proper root cause analysis before tearing down your car.

As I told you in our conversation yesterday, escalate this issue with AB Glenmarie and BMW Malaysia. During our factory and AB Glenmarie visit last week, we were welcomed by their BMW service manager. The British guy in blue shirt and red tie. In his briefing he mentioned that he needed inputs from BMWCM member in order to improve BMW service level. So let's give him one real life issue and ask him to fix your case.

My suggestion is

1) to contact BMWCM rep or committee and find out how to get in touch with this guy. Or you may call directly to AB or BMW Malaysia and ask for him. I can not remember what is his name. Anyone can recall?

2) Do not take out your car from AB penang. Ask for it to be transferred to AB Glenmarie to be fixed. They told us their visit, if the other branches can't fix a technical issue, the cars would have to be sent to AB Glenmarie coz that is the biggest service center that has all the equipments and resource to fix BMWs.

3) Do not take your car out and let outside mechanics fix it. It is already in AB and screwed up by AB. Let them finish what they started. If you let other hands on it, the liability is null and void.

BMWCM should also play a role in this. If a member has such issue with AB or BMW Malaysia, what sort of mediation role the BMWCM can do to its members.

Planta

BMWFactoryVisit066.jpg

FYI

I have sent this posting to AB Hq when it was first posted up.

If Glenmarie cannot fix, then it will be shipped to Germany.. :D :p

RM20k for a BMW gearbox is cheap.. I was told the Alfa 156 gearbox cost RM40k.. anyway.. good luck!

Its always good to have a spare BMW at home.. :(

Alan, have u been servicing your car in AB all this while? otherwise, it can be messy-merci... :(

astroboy;303058 said:
If Glenmarie cannot fix, then it will be shipped to Germany.. :D :p

RM20k for a BMW gearbox is cheap.. I was told the Alfa 156 gearbox cost RM40k.. anyway.. good luck!

Its always good to have a spare BMW at home.. :(

Alan, have u been servicing your car in AB all this while? otherwise, it can be messy-merci... :(

My car have records of servicing at AB all this while but will not visit them after this

Dear Alan Teh

Here some story to share with you.:listen:

I'm facing this problem which what youre facing now last November. My car stuck about 2 month in AB Sungai Besi.

I did asked for replacement car during the service and they don't give me. (they said: sorry semua kereta sudah keluar). :eek:

At first AB Sungai Besi mentioned they want to checked the gearbox wiring. After a week they said the wiring is okay. They checked the ECU and also they said okay. They said my ECU is the latest version.

Finally they said my gearbox need to be change. They quoted me RM26,000.00 :eek: for the brand new gearbox with 2 year warranty. They give me 50% goodwill warranty as my car is over the warranty period. BMW Malaysia give the approval.

They asked for RM10,000.00 minimum of deposit as they claim it is a company policy.

They call me to pick up the car and after 2 months and the best part is my car cannot move as I engage the gear same like before (stuck another a few days) and they asked me to change the ECU which cost me another RM 4,800.00. This time no warranty given to me as not approved by BMW Malaysia.

I think my car problem is with the ECU not the gearbox. As what people always think of "they just do trying and error until hitting the jackpot". And all the cost will be pay by the customer.

In total I paid RM 18,000.00 ++for my car. It is not small amout of money for me. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Some of my friend said you need to "bang table" which I don't have time to do that. (busy a work... cari makan) But sometime it work with them as I received a few inputs form my friends.
They get full warranty and no need to pay for the parts.:top:
Anyway Good luck and I seconded what Planta said.:rock:

And my car work perfectly now after changing the ECU:listen:

Regards

YM.

Sounds like they start with the highest profit margin item to replace first, then move on to cheaper items.. very smart..!!

Why didn't the use test parts and try out first? Doesn't make sense la.. we all go chop shop shopping for ECU also the same ma.. if it doesn't rectify the problem, we just return the ECU only ma... where got need to pay one... :D

astroboy;303943 said:
Sounds like they start with the highest profit margin item to replace first, then move on to cheaper items.. very smart..!!

Why didn't the use test parts and try out first? Doesn't make sense la.. we all go chop shop shopping for ECU also the same ma.. if it doesn't rectify the problem, we just return the ECU only ma... where got need to pay one... :D

Youre rite. The price for gearbox is killing.

Did aksed for that but they said they dont keep any stock for both items. They take my new gearbox from PTP and ECU from AB glenmarie outlet.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Careful with them Astroboy when your warranty is over.

They will let me know the outcome tomorrow....semms like the mechanic boy enjoying my car....when i pass the car to their workshop all LED display is OFF. I checked my car this afternoon, all is ON, KNN !!! They always take my car out for cruising, this is what my friends told me coz they see my car on the road always.

planta;303007 said:
As I told you in our conversation yesterday, escalate this issue with AB Glenmarie and BMW Malaysia. During our factory and AB Glenmarie visit last week, we were welcomed by their BMW service manager. The British guy in blue shirt and red tie. In his briefing he mentioned that he needed inputs from BMWCM member in order to improve BMW service level. So let's give him one real life issue and ask him to fix your case.

My suggestion is

1) to contact BMWCM rep or committee and find out how to get in touch with this guy. Or you may call directly to AB or BMW Malaysia and ask for him. I can not remember what is his name. Anyone can recall?

2) Do not take out your car from AB penang. Ask for it to be transferred to AB Glenmarie to be fixed. They told us their visit, if the other branches can't fix a technical issue, the cars would have to be sent to AB Glenmarie coz that is the biggest service center that has all the equipments and resource to fix BMWs.

3) Do not take your car out and let outside mechanics fix it. It is already in AB and screwed up by AB. Let them finish what they started. If you let other hands on it, the liability is null and void.

BMWCM should also play a role in this. If a member has such issue with AB or BMW Malaysia, what sort of mediation role the BMWCM can do to its members.
planta, u gut tly all tis b4 ar?

i tel u now, it all how siao 1.

i komplane liao siao, even in tis bmw follum, hopping tis forllum kan hlep bekau it ofleesial forlum u see. PHOOI! tis forllum kannot help 1. it jus a fourlum. BWM won giv a sheet abut tis. evan dee komeetee alloso say thay kannot bling tis issue 2 bmw kos thay no authoreetii 2 do so one.

XXX;303021 said:
FYI

I have sent this posting to AB Hq when it was first posted up.

phooi la u.

wah elekcion month now wana elp is it.

las time i kar giv mee ploblem more ten osama giv bushy plobbem u, i ask four elp flom tis florum to bling my issue to bmw, yall say yall kannot do aniting.

PHOOI to yall.

Alan Teh;303400 said:
Bro Nautica, i have sent and fax to them already

hey Alan, i just noticed you wrote this....well, i hope your fax brought about the kind of assistance and attention required to fix your car's gearbox. please keep me informed what is the latest on your repair when i see you on this sunday's beach outing

Top Bottom