Camber Adjustment for E36, 328i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

PCW

Club Guest
Taikos and Sifus,I need some advice and input on the following issue:I just came back from the tyre shop from doing my allignemnt for my E36,328i. But I was told by the mechanic, that my front camber has lagi, so need to be rectified. IN order to rectify, I was told the nut needs to be changed for both the front sides.He quoted me RM180 per side for front. So total is RM360 including allignment. Whereas he said the back just need to adjust, no replacement of nuts required.I need advice as to whether this is correct and is the price too pricey or acceptable.Many thanks in advance.PCW

Hi guys,

The nuts that we was referring to were the nuts that needs to be changed inorder for the rectifucation of the camber, if not with the original nuts adjusment of the camber cannot be done, so he claimed.

If I am not wrong the current front camber is -1.02 there about for both the fronts.

Thanks.

Front camber on the e36 is not adjustable..at least, BMW didn't design it to be adjustable.
So if you want help here..perhaps tell us which nut you're referring to, because "nuts that needs to be changed inorder for the rectifucation of the camber" doesn't mean anything to us.

2wenty6;648774 said:
Front camber on the e36 is not adjustable..at least, BMW didn't design it to be adjustable.
So if you want help here..perhaps tell us which nut you're referring to, because "nuts that needs to be changed inorder for the rectifucation of the camber" doesn't mean anything to us.

Yes bro, the front are not adjustable but in most cases the tyre shop guys will recommend to use "PUMP" and adjust. I told them to FO because the last time they did that to my EG6 left me with bills fixing the wheel bearings. If still want to adjust then best bet is get the top mount adjustable camber plates.

Hi 2twenty6,

I am sorry, I really don`t know how to name the nut/ screw, its on the vertical bottom end of the front absorber. Hope this is clear.

hi pardypeople,

if the front camble was not made to be adjustable, then is it possible for the front cambers to lary/ be out of place? If possible, how is this adjusted back to place? what shout be the correct reading for the front and back camber? I am running on 17Inch rims with 225/ 45 tyres front and back with eibach prokit.

Thanks alot guys for your kind help.

PCW,

If you are staying in PJ or KL, perhaps the best place to correct your front & rear alignment/camber problem is MPS Auto at Sunway, Subang Jaya. They are very well versed with BMWs and lots of us from this forum frequent the services of MPS.

PCW;649007 said:
Hi 2twenty6,

I am sorry, I really don`t know how to name the nut/ screw, its on the vertical bottom end of the front absorber. Hope this is clear.

hi pardypeople,

if the front camble was not made to be adjustable, then is it possible for the front cambers to lary/ be out of place? If possible, how is this adjusted back to place? what shout be the correct reading for the front and back camber? I am running on 17Inch rims with 225/ 45 tyres front and back with eibach prokit.

Thanks alot guys for your kind help.

To answer your questions:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CB32&mospid=47444&btnr=31_0419&hg=31&fg=10

Look into the link, maybe you can tell us which bolt/nut you're referring to? I'm gonna go ahead and guess #3. Now, your mechanic might not be totally off, because people do add shims or washers to that bolt in order to increase camber. But we do not know what exactly will he be doing, and what exactly is wrong with your nuts :)p) And, not knowing those, the price seemed a little exhorbitant.

Front camber is non-adjustable from factory but it doesn't mean it won't run out of spec. Your car had been put through more than a decade of use, you can't expect tolerances to be like new. Basically, there are many possibilities on what could be replaced. But know that even a few millimeters at the right place could have drastic effect on the camber measurement. In other words, if something is bent slightly then it will affect camber. The easiest way, but not likely the cheapest, is to go with an adjustable camber plate.

With that being said, -1.02 should not be TOO out of spec. I believe the lower range is -1.3 degrees and the M3 has about -1.7 stock.
Does it matter? It depends on how you drive, but I would say for a daily driver, probably not. Nothing to really worry about.
But like bro herbert said, bring it to a reputable mechanic if you wanna get it fixed.

I hope this helps.

Bro Herbert,

Thanks alot for the recommendation, I will drop by MPS Auto to get it check. I am from Kota Kemuning.

Bro 2twenty6,
Its Item No. 5 on the link. Is it expensive to replace and it is true that with the replacement of that nut, the problem can be resolved? Anyway, will drop by MPS Auto to get it checked. Really appreciate your help.

Thanks guys.

Top Bottom