Buying A E46, Please Advice...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

stvnfu

Hi all BMW sifus,

I'm looking to join the club and just love the E46, well can only afford a for now. Have been a regular visitor here the past 2 months or so gathering information on the car and now I am confident it's not really a difficult or too expansive car to own so, decided to jump into the BMW wagon! :rock:

I have been scouting around for one recently. My plan is to get a 2001 to 2003 model or which ever that can fit in my 20k cash budget. Would appreciate your advice on which is the least trouble and cheaper to maintain engine variant and more fun to drive: 1.8, 1.9 (M43 right?) and 2.0 (N42 I think?)

I have found one imported facelift model, year manufactured 2001, 2.0liter in mudah. From the photos looks taken of, clean straight lines with clean interior and all...well it looks loved. Planning to check the car out today or tomorrow.

Can I post the the link of the add here?

Appreciate if you can advice me on:

- Whether spare parts for the import models easy to get in Malaysia?
- And are the parts more expensive than local models or they are the same?
- What are things to check for and how to check them?

Thanking all the sifus in advance for your advice and guidance.

Cheers,
stvnfu

I think 20K cannot get a 2001 E46 unless car prices have fallen so drastically in the past months. Correct me if i am wrong.

If anyone wants to sell you a E46 for 20K there could be some thing wrong with it and they are trying to get rid of it. Bring someone knowledgeable about BMW with you when you view/test a car.

1) Spare parts are the same for import or local models
2) Most of us get out parts from used parts shops. New and original from BMW are very expensive.

I tend to agree with Crusher's comments regarding 20k cannot get a e46 2001. I think the pricing for e46 2001 should be in the region of RM30k. Having said that, a car more than 10 years would have the usual wear and tear and replacement would be necessary and you are looking at at least RM 6k to RM 10k for replacement of parts.

crusher said:
I think 20K cannot get a 2001 E46 unless car prices have fallen so drastically in the past months. Correct me if i am wrong.

If anyone wants to sell you a E46 for 20K there could be some thing wrong with it and they are trying to get rid of it. Bring someone knowledgeable about BMW with you when you view/test a car.

1) Spare parts are the same for import or local models
2) Most of us get out parts from used parts shops. New and original from BMW are very expensive.
Thank you for the feedback crusher, yeah I'm just pushing my luck with the 20k. You are right the current market asking price is from 28k - 36k, but the one thing I know about 2nd hand car dealers is that they buy trade in cars for extremely LOW price...they took my 4 year old Audi A4 for less then like 40k below market price about ten years ago :motz:

So that's what I'm doing to them now :59:

Herbert said:
I tend to agree with Crusher's comments regarding 20k cannot get a e46 2001. I think the pricing for e46 2001 should be in the region of RM30k. Having said that, a car more than 10 years would have the usual wear and tear and replacement would be necessary and you are looking at at least RM 6k to RM 10k for replacement of parts.
Thank you for your advice Herbert...cheers!

Sometimes we can't blame used car dealers for trading in car for extremely low price. If you are in their shoes, you would do likewise. When you look from the logical and business point of view, they are buying a depreciating asset and taking risk of any high value components failure in the car especially so for BMW (the sensors, electronic modules etc) which are expensive even from chop shops. Gone were the days whereby used dealers can made some pretty decent profit and now many aren't doing that well. Further more, used car dealers would always preferred buying cars that are still under finance (higher the redemption sum the better) as compared to cars that are no longer under finance where they need to pay CASH.

Hi stvnfu,

I am owner of a e46 325i 2003 and would consider selling it for the right price.

Cooling system is new, engine hosting replaced new,new pair of lower arms, gear box gasket etc is new...basically engine and gear box in excellent cond. use for family

IAK said:
Hi stvnfu,

I am owner of a e46 325i 2003 and would consider selling it for the right price.

Cooling system is new, engine hosting replaced new,new pair of lower arms, gear box gasket etc is new...basically engine and gear box in excellent cond. use for family
Hey bro, is the car still on sale?

Top Bottom