Bumpy ride

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

busdriver

Club Guest
Hi everyone,Would like to know your thoughts about tis problem i'm having...bought an e36 318i last month, during test drive the ride was bumpy so thought it was becoz of the absorbers and sure enough visual inspection showed that the rear absorbers had to be changed. so i changed the absorbers front n back, bilstein black..however the ride is still very bumpy..is there anything to do with the springs?..not sure whether its still on standard springs or not coz i bought it from car dealer...or is there anything to do with the tyres?...its running on continental comfort contact-1, 205/60 R15 91V...from the manual this tyre size is not in the recommended list...thank u so much guys...

Check tire pressure and tires size it maybe too big..the 60 profile should be ok..

bro,check what springs that is currently installed.my guess is that aftermarket stiffer springs are on and if so they will be stiffer than normal

205/60/15 is the standard size for udm on 15 inch rim. If you have after market sport spring on, then there is 1 or 2 finger gap betweem the tire & fender. If there is more than 2 finger gap, then u r on standard springs. When you change the absorber, did you also change the absorber top mount?

Crymson;536782 said:
205/60/15 is the standard size for udm on 15 inch rim. If you have after market sport spring on, then there is 1 or 2 finger gap betweem the tire & fender. If there is more than 2 finger gap, then u r on standard springs. When you change the absorber, did you also change the absorber top mount?

Hi bro,

Yeah i can barely fit 2 fingers in between the gap...does that mean that its on sport springs?....shud i change it back?...i mean wat are the pros of having stiffer springs?....personally the bumpy ride kind of annoys me..its like the car oscillates up n down when i'm driving fast over uneven surfaces like certain portions or shall i say most of the PLUS highway...about the absorber top mount..is it the part that is made out of plastic material?...part no 33531136395, item no 4..... http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CA04&mospid=47468&btnr=33_0386&hg=33&fg=45 ......changed both sides....thanx bros...

busdriver;536819 said:
Hi bro,

Yeah i can barely fit 2 fingers in between the gap...does that mean that its on sport springs?....shud i change it back?...i mean wat are the pros of having stiffer springs?....personally the bumpy ride kind of annoys me..its like the car oscillates up n down when i'm driving fast over uneven surfaces like certain portions or shall i say most of the PLUS highway

Likely it's on sport spring coz it lowers the car. When you change your absorbers (Bilstein black, also known as B4) you should be able to see some sort of logo on the spring. If you put the sport spring with at least Bilstein B6 or even better B8, it will not be bumpy but firm.

Getting a secondhand standard springs are cheap and cost less than RM300. Keep your sport spring for future use after you change to bigger rim and change to better absorbers.

Crymson;536896 said:
Likely it's on sport spring coz it lowers the car. When you change your absorbers (Bilstein black, also known as B4) you should be able to see some sort of logo on the spring. If you put the sport spring with at least Bilstein B6 or even better B8, it will not be bumpy but firm.

Getting a secondhand standard springs are cheap and cost less than RM300. Keep your sport spring for future use after you change to bigger rim and change to better absorbers.

Hi,
Thx for your advice bro...about the logo,didnt notice it when the absorber was changed coz i wasnt thr...do u mean that if it is a sport spring there will be a logo and for standard no logo?....pardon me for my ignorance...:wink:...i think i would go for the standard springs since i've installed the B4's....maybe B8 next time with watever sport springs on the car now...

Top Bottom