Breaking in a new F30

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

omnimech

Club Guest
Hi All,The date of delivery for my brand new F30 is quickly approaching. I wanted to ask the bros on their thoughts on running in the car. Tried looking for a thread in the F30 sub forum but couldn't find anythingStandard Run InThis is advised by BMW. Run in of 2000km. Max 4500 rpmMax 160 kmphVersusBat out of hell run inGo nuts and redline the car after the 1st full tankOpinion and advice will be appreciated.

Follow the BMW guide. It's a BMW after all. They know their car best.

splee;821515 said:
Follow the BMW guide. It's a BMW after all. They know their car best.

Not necessarily true ... It's more like what BMW marketing and finance dept knows best.

Remember the lifetime gearbox oil? Or the 25k (now 15k?) oil change interval? It's all Per BMW recommendation lol

But for run in just go with BMW specs. I hope BMW includes free oil change when hitting the first 2k km if not do change the oil and filter anyways.

All I know is after 5,000 kms I already masuk Sepang la. Both my 325 and my CRaZy ... Hehehe ...

What did you bros do with the car after the run in ?

Did you change the engine oil on your own ?

The first service from BMW is 12k according to my SA . O_O

omnimech;821612 said:

Up to you bro. If you have the money you can change the engine oil after 2k. Or else just wait till 10k. I am changing at 10k.

The f30 I just gotten last month has free servicing every 12k km as per advised by sa and shown in idrive

omnimech;821612 said:

Just do the oil change yourself at 2k km if you love your ride and planning to keep her for sometime. I did just that with my e46 back then when I first acquired her and she still purrs beautifully even after 100k km

omnimech;821506 said:
Hi All,

The date of delivery for my brand new F30 is quickly approaching.

I wanted to ask the bros on their thoughts on running in the car.

Tried looking for a thread in the F30 sub forum but couldn't find anything

Standard Run In
This is advised by BMW.
Run in of 2000km.
Max 4500 rpm
Max 160 kmph

Versus
Bat out of hell run in
Go nuts and redline the car after the 1st full tank

Opinion and advice will be appreciated.

so what did you decide to break in your f30?
^^

Most automotive assembler will advice run in around 1000km-2000km...
That is normal but diff is the 1st service schedule...
Only BMW if not mistaken there is no 1st service at 1000km..
The schedule service is 12000km...so for ur mind freedom better do change the oil n filter at 2000km...like B33mEr says...

keta aku standet je...tak apa kan...

my run in is not far from night swan.. err.. AB Jalan Tun Razak.. tak de gate.. so just out side the carpark only.. first rev was to redline.. kekek

the other day i saw the production of the F30 in you tube.... i dont know if they follow the same over here in kulim anot..... the car already revving before out of the factory...

lazzydogg;832986 said:
the other day i saw the production of the F30 in you tube.... i dont know if they follow the same over here in kulim anot..... the car already revving before out of the factory...

Revving the engine is common place for all automotive makers.

The run in period, from what I gather is more for the new tires and brakes to be run in .

As we all know new tires and new brake pad / disc rotors are not as effective when new, compared to after a 500 km run in.

------------------------------------------------

And for those who would want to know .

My run in period was finished after my car existed ingress gate.

On my 3rd day of ownership, I followed the fabled "Rusted Jackets" to Ulu Yam.

It was an eye opening experience for me as this is my first UDM / rear wheel drive car .

lazzydogg;832986 said:

All UDMs assembled at Kulim r tested on a dyno machine until 150kmh. Then on the test track cruising at 120kmh.
ie it's tested up to the recommended running in parameters. Apparently the engines hav been revved & tested before they r shipped here. Kulim guys aren't sure how high they've been revved. Based on how meticulous is the assembling process & testing, I wld guess up to the technical limit.

Top Bottom