Brakes for 525 and 530

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

pam312

Club Guest
To all sifus....i am actually confused over the brake rotor size for 525 and 530

here's some background.....

my engine clocked some 200k km and lately....the engine oil has been diminishing fast....like every 2000km to 3000km, i need to top up a liter....on top of that....the tuppets have been getting noisier by the day....esp early morning or cold start
engine power also reduced

so did an engine check at my regular mech....took the engine down and open up....with thoughts of doing an overhaul

first....apparently the oil pump is not working well enough
second, the camshafts are scratched badly....
the piston rings are gone, the pistons and cylinder wall are worn too.....although they can be polished

so my mech recommended i put in a full 3.0engine which is cheaper than doing a full overhaul coz my gb also about time

so after comparing the costs and also checking out a few other known mech...seems putting in a 3.0 is the more viable option

but here's the confusion part....i checked several websites....the brake size for 3.0 and 2.5 is different, with 3.0 slightly bigger

but my mech told me its the same size
the half cut that i bought, also had the same size

so is it really same size or it should be different...

the half cut i did check the vin and engine numbers....they are 3.0 as registered

2.5 rotor is 296mm

3.0 rotor is 324mm

Probably the original rotor has been sold and replaced with the 2.5 that has been traded in.

Anyway you will need a halfcut to get the full 3.0 power, because maf, disa valve, airbox, ecu and many other part are different. Changing just the engine will not give you the full power of M54B30.

thanks haywire....that's the reason why i went with halfcut and not engine lantai

hhhmmm so now i need to hunt for brakes

Btw my engine has done 320k km and yes its eating engine oil like you too...but no budget so just topup lorrr hhehehehe

since the brake is smaller by 28mm (effectively smaller by 14mm of contact surface), is it going to post great danger?

What.....great danger?You will not be in any danger situation at all la bro........
Unless you track the car,don't lose sleep over the brakes disc size lar.....it will still stop the car....and stop the car safely it will.....
Put in the M54B30 and feel the car thereafter.I can bet you that you will not feel any different from when it was an M54B25.

But if you do and you feel like it,upgrade the disc later lor....

moots said:
What.....great danger?You will not be in any danger situation at all la bro........
Unless you track the car,don't lose sleep over the brakes disc size lar.....it will still stop the car....and stop the car safely it will.....
Put in the M54B30 and feel the car thereafter.I can bet you that you will not feel any different from when it was an M54B25.

But if you do and you feel like it,upgrade the disc later lor....
thanks moots....that's reassuring

when you say it won't feel any different from a B25....did you mean the performance or the brakes?

pam312 said:
thanks moots....that's reassuring

when you say it won't feel any different from a B25....did you mean the performance or the brakes?
brakes bro........
performance kalu.......vavavoooooommmmm...power bro....... :love:

the only diff now,apart from the added power (yum yum) is the slight additional increase in weight of the B30 engine.which is in effect,negligeable.
it's just that in general,any increase in mass will have an effect on the braking distance if the same brake set up is retained.

this is interesting.....since B25 and B30 is built on the same block but different piston height....generally speaking....
shouldn't B30 slightly lighter given the fact that more air/fuel mixture means less/shorter piston size and given that the piston is heavier than air/fuel mixture??

Thats what i thought too, basically the engine weight difference in neglegible, but once you tasted the power of M54B30, you'll tend to go faster hence why you would need bigger brakes.

haywire said:
Thats what i thought too, basically the engine weight difference in neglegible, but once you tasted the power of M54B30, you'll tend to go faster hence why you would need bigger brakes.
koret la bro haywire...."with great power comes great responsibility"........but in my old age....i drive like mak cik onny ...90km/h on the left most lane....minyak super save wor....

ps. n you are right about the quiet forum lately.....

i've tasted the power of 3.0......honestly....been dreaming of it for a long time
since the ori engine kaput.....hand itchy pulak

what do you guys think about zimmerman rotors?

Bro I have done the same upgrade to my ride 525 - 530. You actually do not need a half cut. I change complete engine. Reflash ECU. The only diff between my ride and a factory 530 is the exhaust, final drive, 6-7 clutch plates in gearbox and the 3.0 transmission control module sofrware and torque converter and final drive.
There ar not much difference between the 2 engines. Wiring harness is identical. My car is running on 530 with 525 parts that I have mentioned above. The brakes are still original 2.5 car stops when I want it to. Just sharing my experience I have done it 4 years ago and I am still driving the same car.

Top Bottom