Bottom Screw of Engine oil lose,need help!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

weechoon

Club Guest
The screw from the engine oil lose already(bottom).last time i changed the oil,the mechanic use a white colour tape to wrape the screw and screw it back.until now about 9 month still no problem,but i afraid one day the oil leaking.So should i go to the workshop to do it,but i ask before they send to other place to do also.Any other place i can go to chance the screw or to something?Pls advise!Thanks

Not sure about the e36's but on the e34, some mechanics use the white tape, but on the e34's there is actually a metal (copper?) washer which needs to be replaced (if it leaks i guess), and no white plumber tape necessary.

Looks more like the thread of the engine oil compartment that is holding the screw which is loose or thread out of alignment. Competent iron/steel works shop should be able to fix it. Better get confirmation from a trusted mech first though. If I am correct,the fix should be relatively cheap lar. :lol:

Originally posted by chinlai@Aug 18 2005, 10:23 AM
Not sure about the e36's but on the e34, some mechanics use the white tape, but on the e34's there is actually a metal (copper?) washer which needs to be replaced (if it leaks i guess), and no white plumber tape necessary.
So no need to repair?just use the white tape every time change engine oil?

From yr write up,the oil drain bolt is loose,meaning the screw thread has stripped,making the mechanic to unable to tighten it fully.If this is the case,you need to remove the oil pan and send it to the machine shop for a re-thread.Have done this on my e34 oil pan for RM 60 if I remember right.
Alternatively,it ain't leaking now even after 9 months(how can you go 9 months without an oil change anywayzzzz?)then live with it until the condition worsens and a re thread becomes necessary.

Or if it is the copper washer issue,then get a new one for cheap.

Top Bottom