Body Vibration of E34

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Black Machine

Club Guest
Hello Fellow bimmers,just wanted an opinion on how to solve this problem,had spent a big portion of savings to repair this problem. But just couldnt get the ultimate driving exp....no offence fellow bimmers.maybe anyone can recomend a used long shaft(not sure the name)or a cheap place to get it.i'm a bit low on budget

Hai,welcome you ,Black machine,you looking the used long shaft then go and search at chop shop!!!!can you let we know how your car vibrate?

Black Machine;211368 said:
Hello Fellow bimmers,just wanted an opinion on how to solve this problem,had spent a big portion of savings to repair this problem. But just couldnt get the ultimate driving exp....no offence fellow bimmers.

maybe anyone can recomend a used long shaft(not sure the name)or a cheap place to get it.

i'm a bit low on budget

E34 is fussy machine when come to vibrate ............ specific , otherwise you will spend more for nothing.

and not many place good in repair long shaft.

Hello Fellow bimmers,

thanx 4 d warm welcome.

info:vibrates during acceleration during cruising around 80-90 km/h
maybe anyone can recomend a used long shaft(not sure the name)or a cheap place to get it(which Chop Shop?)

E34,1990-5 SPEED-Manual.

Black Machine;211610 said:
Hello Fellow bimmers,

thanx 4 d warm welcome.

maybe anyone can recomend a used long shaft(not sure the name)or a cheap place to get it(which Chop Shop?)

E34,1990-5 SPEED-Manual.

vibrates during acceleration during cruising around 80-90 km/h : very famous front side issue , did you changed the thrust arm bush as well ?

Go Kg Subang for chop shop if you think long shaft is the issue ...

Hello Fellow bimmers,

thanx Iqlima 4 the quick info

i never changed the thrust arm bush or anything related,according to my formen the prob is long shaft.

thanx 4 the chop shop info thats a real help,most of shops near my area cuts troat.

E34,1990-5 SPEED-Manual

Just a suggestion because I saw this before on one car I was looking to buy....the rim bengkok (18") so it vibrates....took to the mech and he confirmed it was due to that.....but as u sed the long shaft tats the first thing they suspect when it vibrates...

Black Machine;211665 said:
Hello Fellow bimmers,

thanx Iqlima 4 the quick info

i never changed the thrust arm bush or anything related,according to my formen the prob is long shaft.

thanx 4 the chop shop info thats a real help,most of shops near my area cuts troat.

E34,1990-5 SPEED-Manual

Generally for E32 but E34 share almost the same built

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/

Have a look under suspension and steering - Upper control arm bush

Black Machine;211610 said:
Hello Fellow bimmers,

thanx 4 d warm welcome.

E34,1990-5 SPEED-Manual.

Actually my e39 oso vibrate like ur car, when acceleration on 80km/h-100km/h.

Can it be possible the long shaft problem too??:confused:

hello fellow bimmers,

Does e39 have the same prob?.According to my formen there could be heaps of other reasons to that could contribute to body vibration,a quick check with your formen could solve the problem before matters get worse.

eg:cuplings,drive shaft .

E34,1990-5 SPEED-Manual.

black machine, what rims are you using. I had a similar vibration prob when I got my ride. It was due to the hub centric rings not installed as the rims is not originally for e34. Just a tip..

hello black machine...ermmmmm seems to b look like my previous problem b4 and what i do is replace the flex disc and center bearing and it is done....

hello fellow bimmers,

good replies from you guys. mayb my 18 inch's rimms is also a major contributer to the prob like you said!
But the vibration i meant was so great that the whole body of the car shakes like its goin to lose it any minute......currently im using my other car...till i solve the prob.....

proton aeroback,1.3,manual,99,14 inch rimms. Ha ha ha ....

E34,1990-5 SPEED-Manual,18 inch rimms.

any updates on this?
My E24, similar suspension setup with E34, same vibration problem at 80km/h. Installed hub centric spacer for the non stock rims, replaced control arms, still vibrating.
Any other ideas? Track rod ends maybe?

If it is only between 80-90 and maybe a little at around 110 -120 then the rims bengkok is the most likely reason. This is especially true if you are not using the standard 15". The tire balancing is also a factor. Had mine balanced on and off wheels, still had the same problem, then the more experience tyre guy re-balanced and the problem solved.

Yep done balancing and repaired the rims too.
I'm changing the tie rod ends..which is quite worn..then see how it goes.

Guys, this wheel shimmy is common and is a combination of hub-centric for those using non-stock rims, wheel/tire itself is not well balanced, wheel bengkok, and also possibly worn thrust-arms.

Method of solving to start with easiest and cheapest method and work your way up.
1) The front axle wheels are causing these , so make sure the *best* pair is in front, with tires same make and same condition. If both balanced properly, check if hubcentrics are needed. Get them and install them. You can source spacers which are hubcentric.

2) Go to tire shop and get a wheel balancing done on BOTH front wheels. Make sure the mounting is done correctly, the rusted hub needs to be lightly sanded and cleaned, and so does the aluminum wheel side that makes contact. Alum and steel will rust due to different metals (just chemistry). Bolt and torque lugnuts correctly.

Test for it. if the shimmy goes away. It might just come back again after several months. Uneven wear on the tires like flat spots can cause this easily. So check tire conditions. Put your best tires up front.

Worn thrust arms can make the situation worse. Typically causing "violent" shaking around 90-100Kph speeds. If you test it on the highway, it should be very consistent in the shake coming and going.

Good luck guys. I think this shake is the direct result of poor suspension design for E34. AT least on the front-end.

Bro, the vibration can be from a few sources.

1: unbalance rim and tyre rotation for the front.
2. Worn out front trust arm bush.
3. Front brake rotor.
4. Long shaft.

Top Bottom