BMW's new engine and tranny lineup

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

E46Fanatic

Club Guest
Some specs on the new BMW F10 5 series. Glad to see that the auto tranny is now almost as efficient as a 6 spd manual gearbox. Still not as good as a DCT (faster than manual gearbox) but amazingly efficient ~.1 sec difference with the manual to 100km/h. For E46 5 spd auto tranny, it was an avg difference of 1.1 sec btw the auto and manual. E90 6spd autos was about 0.7 secs difference. Also no RFTs as std option, only for 550i and mostly 3 ltr engine sizes even for the 523i ! I guess the 520d will be the best selling in places like Malaysia where road tax structures don't favor 3.0 ltr engine sizes. Weight as gone up on average of 130kg over the E60
F10specs.jpg

There'll probably be other variants for the Malaysian market. No one will buy a 3l petrol here that gives only 204hp and 8.2s for 0-100. :rolleyes:

Only one Auto variant and that's the 550i, 8 speed auto !! :eek:

Schwepps;496659 said:
There'll probably be other variants for the Malaysian market. No one will buy a 3l petrol here that gives only 204hp and 8.2s for 0-100. :rolleyes:

Hmmnn... funny thing is all the 525~535 regardless of fuel type are all 3.0L !! :eek:

That's in the UK bro. All mid-size engines, and few autos. Most Brits prefer manuals. My relatives there have never driven autos before, and don't know how to. :D

On the other hand, for the US, 3l would be considered too small, and practically all Yanks have never seen a stick-shift (manual) before, and think they only existed in the 1st half of the 20th century.

The variants launched here will include smaller engines and will all be auto. ;)

Schwepps;496675 said:
That's in the UK bro. All mid-size engines, and few autos. Most Brits prefer manuals. My relatives there have never driven autos before, and don't know how to. :D

On the other hand, for the US, 3l would be considered too small, and practically all Yanks have never seen a stick-shift (manual) before, and think they only existed in the 1st half of the 20th century.

The variants launched here will include smaller engines and will all be auto. ;)

I'd say that's true about Malaysian's actually ... The only manual gearbox of recent models of BMW offered in Malaysia has been either SMG or DCT. The americans however love their manual gearbox bro :top: Just look at bimmerforums or bimmerfest :D
Also i'm pretty sure they'll offer a manual 550i for the US market if the market demands it

There are enthusiasts of course, but trust me, 95% of Americans have never seen a stick-shift before. Reaction of my daughter's university mates to her saying she could drive a stick-shift: "You know how to drive a stick-shift? COOL!! Like how old is your car girl?" :D

Here, everyone had to pass the driving test in a manual, but to buy one these days is not easy...

Schwepps;496695 said:
There are enthusiasts of course, but trust me, 95% of Americans have never seen a stick-shift before. Reaction of my daughter's university mates to her saying she could drive a stick-shift: "You know how to drive a stick-shift? COOL!! Like how old is your car girl?" :D

Here, everyone had to pass the driving test in a manual, but to buy one these days is not easy...

Women who know how to drive a stick in the US are considered extremely sexy by most american males :). Your girls will be spoilt for choices then. Can view our local driving test system as a good investment :p.

Schwepps;496675 said:
..practically all Yanks have never seen a stick-shift (manual) before, and think they only existed in the 1st half of the 20th century.

Uhmm not really... Plenty of stickshift in the US,and many drivers there still prefer manual cars,especially imports.Granted,most are enthusiasts but there are indeed more enthusiasts for every 100 drivers in the US compared to everywhere else in the world.The US is simply heaven for car enthusiasts.Hell,only in the US do u get a 6speed manual e60 M5..u can't even get those in Germany!

My dad had a stickshift when we lived in California many years ago,my siblings had stick when they studied there as well.

Very perceptive E46F! :) My daughter was describing a guy who was trying to hit on her, complete with American accent. It led on to the inevitable "Can you teach me?" :D

Ad from apparently the ONLY driving school in San Deigo that offers stick-shift: https://www.allcitystickdrivingschool.com/ :rolleyes:

supergripen;496783 said:
Uhmm not really... Plenty of stickshift in the US,and many drivers there still prefer manual cars,especially imports.Granted,most are enthusiasts but there are indeed more enthusiasts for every 100 drivers in the US compared to everywhere else in the world.The US is simply heaven for car enthusiasts.Hell,only in the US do u get a 6speed manual e60 M5..u can't even get those in Germany!

My dad had a stickshift when we lived in California many years ago,my siblings had stick when they studied there as well.

Sure there are bro. There are also lots of Brits and Italians who drive autos. I'm talking about the majority of people there to whom a car is just transportation, and for eg, spending time in a car forum would be a very nerdy thing to do. ;) Car companies market to the majority.

I took my driving test in Michigan in the late 80s in a Colt stick shifter.. the examiner saw I was using a stick shift, she think twice before getting in.. :eek: during a red light stop on an up hill. I engage handbrake.. she almost fail me due to that because she say I shouldn't engage parking brake when I wasn't parking!! :eek:

Anyway, when the driving test is over, she didn't fail me and even complimented me the way I use the clutch to balance the car during an up hill stop go and she even say I a smooth driver!!.. :D :D

In a nut shell, even in the late 80s, auto box in US is very common because it doesn't cost a lot more and easy to use and its allowed during a driving test.. almost every one uses one in a driving test.. even if they need to borrow from someone else. Using a stick shift for driving test is not very smart.. :p :D

I took mine in Kansas with a manual Accord CA3, which was a popular car with Malaysian students then, sweet memories...5 years driving license for USD12 bucks. I still kept it somewhere as a momento :)

Yup, agreed with Schweeps that majority of the Americans are noob when it comes to driving a manual, and hence the relatively lower resale value for cars with manual tranny. It is only asians like us that mopped up the stickshift mitsu 3000GT, 300ZX, Honda Civic Si and etc.

Cheers

Schwepps;496659 said:

Looking at all the variants, the 525d seems most enticing, if BMW Msia brings it in subject to fuel quality issues.

The 523 and 528 seemed to share similar 3.0 liter engine block, and given the roadtax structure here the locals may not find it appealing, or will there be a 523 with a 2.5 liter engine capacity for our local market?

Cheers

Schwepps;496787 said:
Very perceptive E46F! :) My daughter was describing a guy who was trying to hit on her, complete with American accent. It led on to the inevitable "Can you teach me?" :D

Ad from apparently the ONLY driving school in San Deigo that offers stick-shift: https://www.allcitystickdrivingschool.com/ :rolleyes:

Apparently not bro there's a few in San Diego that will and can offer driver's training in stick shift :D

http://www.teendrivingschool.com/tds3.htm

But as was mentioned by E46F and you the guy must surely be trying to hit on your daughter ... No man worth his salt will ever admit that he doesn't know how to drive a stick shift (x macho larr :D hehe)

B33mEr;496854 said:
But as was mentioned by E46F and you the guy must surely be trying to hit on your daughter ... No man worth his salt will ever admit that he doesn't know how to drive a stick shift (x macho larr :D hehe)

Apparently her whole group was impressed, and there were some who didn't even know such technology existed. :D X macho only to us la. They only think it's quaint and antiquated, and they're not into quaint and antiquated stuff.

PS: BTW, actually I think she's forgotten how to drive a manual already. I know my wife has. :D

astroboy;496796 said:
I took my driving test in Michigan in the late 80s in a Colt stick shifter.. the examiner saw I was using a stick shift, she think twice before getting in.. :eek: during a red light stop on an up hill. I engage handbrake.. she almost fail me due to that because she say I shouldn't engage parking brake when I wasn't parking!! :eek:

Anyway, when the driving test is over, she didn't fail me and even complimented me the way I use the clutch to balance the car during an up hill stop go and she even say I a smooth driver!!.. :D :D

In a nut shell, even in the late 80s, auto box in US is very common because it doesn't cost a lot more and easy to use and its allowed during a driving test.. almost every one uses one in a driving test.. even if they need to borrow from someone else. Using a stick shift for driving test is not very smart.. :p :D

Smooth drive eh :top:

Did she deduct points because you didn't engage 1st gear after parking? Weird American habit.

Why wierd Viewey? :) I used to engage 2nd, as taught by my parents. After all, we engage P in an auto, and it slots a pin into a cog for the same effect.

Top Bottom