BMW Z4 E85 (Year 2003-2005) Notchy/Sticky Steering Feel

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

my.soul

Hi guys,

I bought a used BMW Z4 E85 Year 2003, and I realised that everytime I drive and try to maneuver (changing lanes) at moderate speed (80km/h), the steering feels sticky/notchy. Meaning that there's like some disconnection in the steering wheel, which I personally think it's dangerous since I couldn't grip the car properly. After doing some research, this seemed to be a common problem for early batch of BMW Z4s pre-facelift versions. (2003-2005)

Please have a look at this thread, experiencing by some owner, which I think the closest issue to what I've experienced now:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1411724

Do you guys owned the facelifted versions? Can I test drive yours to make a comparison? And those who experienced this, how do you solve this problem?

I had an 06 E85, that started developing the problem on its 6th year. Research does indicate that the problem afflicts early preface lifted models but mine was a post face lift. The problem gradually got worse. It became too annoying and sometimes dangerous at high speeds. It spoilt the fun of open top sports car motoring.

The ultimate recourse was to replace the entire steering column which is quite costly (est 14K) and there are no units available locally. I was advised not to replace it with a used or refurbished unit. One of my friends did that and eded up replacing the refurb unit with a new one.

Figuring that it will end up with the replacement of the steering column anyways, I decided to take the plunge of a no return mod which was recorded by a few who had the problem. I installed in a grease nipple at the intersection of the steering column motor and replaced the grease with a grease gun. It solved the problem. The problem did recurr after 9 months but not as bad as before and to fix it, I pumped in grease again. I was able to enjoy the car again. But I know that I needed to ultimately replace the column, I sold the car instead of investing in a replacement, cis the car was getting old and I was thinking of replacing it with an E89.

Try it, you might be lucky.

Top Bottom