BMW Performance Mods

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
ryvinson;440951 said:
Another drawback is the Alcantara paddle shifts derived from the 335i that lacks the cock-sure feel of the M3 shifters. Final nail in coffin...steering with the intricate electronics appears to be (pardon the French) a bitch to fix. BUT the LED is indeed awe inspiring, a guaranteed conversation piece providing bragging rights ad infinitum. Fans tout it as the Holy Grail of steering wheels....and does look the part. I mean I hardly blinked when I was driving a client's car as I was so taken by the the dancing lights and flashing numbers. To me the steering, as much as it does the job on the tracks and the undeniably bling factor, is first and foremost a novelty that I know will wear off faster for me than the skin's forewarned premature decomposing. Additionally, as much a geek as I'd consider myself to be, the car's already fully laden with electronic gizmos without more from the LED. It's a sad decision. I do love the wheel but my good senses albeit impaired by lust for fast cars can't ignore the so obvious downsides. So perhaps before I draw the curtains on the Alcantara LED, could someone out there provide another viewpoint on the upsides or even challenge my findings and conclusions?

That leaves the M3 DCT as a default option. Never like defaults, always prefer options by design. But life is such. The M3 is the antithesis of the Alcantara LED. Not as contoured or as sexy for sure BUT provides a very, very confident, authoritative CEO like feel that screams DFWM (Don't F... With Me...in French). But deceptively cozy with the smooth Nappa skin with the mandatory tri colour stitches. But I like the shifters best - sure, firm and uncompromizing. No vagueness about them. The shifters' are infact so good Bimmer nut cases swap the Alcantara LED shifters for the M3's. Some users do complain about the thickness or fatness of the rims that interferes with hard, quick turns when cornering or avoiding collissions etc.

Cheers!

I think the Alcantara LED Performance steering comes with the DCT paddle shifter option. Meinauto has one installed on his E92 M3. Very sweet combo!

attachment.php

ryvinson;441121 said:
Schwepps - Hi and how's the fizz man? Throught you're a Nazi on the prowl in this forum asking the questions you asked. Just think of yours truly as the Turin Shroud clothed in mystery (okay not as divine) or The Stig post Schuey....

E46 - yup, two doors of anything like a coupe is definitively more sexy. Personally would go for a e92 320i over e90 325i as prices about same (280k?) pre-registered even though former runs short of serious horses. But one doesn't opt for a coupe for heart stomping performance. More for the design, sophistication, asthetics and the differentiation (the lifestyle works) from plebeian saloons. Well look no further at the debacle that is the M3 saloon...a sacrilegeous travesty of justice to the iconic coupe. Wouldn't be caught dead in the former. And if one is so inclined to paint town red with a Megan Fox (drool) wannabe, a Jessica Alba (drool, drool) lookie-like or a Gossip Girl snobby type, only the e92 does the job. Keep the M5 for dad...

Cheers!

I feel really good now, thanks!

Hi Guys, I have fitted my car with the Euro Pef Intake, US Perf Exhaust Kit and Perf Braking System.

After about 1000km with all three fitted together, I would say the experience so far is quite pleasant.

Perf Intake gives the best performance increase and the braking system does give a more reassuring stop.

As for the exhaust, it feels quite normal and the sound is quite laggard in normal D mode. However once is it switched to DS or manual, it changes totally. The sound is more solid and the power is perfect. Not sure if there is BHP improvement but there is surely torque improvement as you can feel perky within 3000 to 4000 RPM. Before having the exhaust the torque seems to max out at about 3000rpm only.

Now I am looking at the BMW perf steel pedals, any lubang anyone?

Cheers!

Come join us for the private track day on Aug 10th. A good time to enjoy all the mods. Yeah agree with the brakes. Once you get used to 6 pot Brembos, other car brakes feel quite scary LOL. I can't wait to track it :)

E46 - hold your lust for the Alcantara LED. Strong grapevine chat over new, enhanced version out making present one a dinosaur...or buy dinosaur-to-be for less than 3k with shifters when stocks dumped. Complaints aplenty over gooey skin and mind-of-its-own electonics....

JPB - now you don't need to apologize for lack of horses in your ride....you're making a statement man...let them apologize for lack of fine taste....

e90-3100 - hey, that's good stuff you fixed although never heard of them...duh...but you wanna aluminium pedals not steel...you're not driving a Sherman tank huh? Wanna lubang, check with JPB. Wanna tech stuff, gotta check with E46...

Cheers!

E46Fanatic;441158 said:
Come join us for the private track day on Aug 10th. A good time to enjoy all the mods. Yeah agree with the brakes. Once you get used to 6 pot Brembos, other car brakes feel quite scary LOL. I can't wait to track it :)

Bro,

Is it ok just to drop by during the track day. Cant commit to the event due working on that day. But surely can drop by after work.

Cheers

Breaking news! BMW Perf brakes.....

Front 6 pots and rear 2 pots only for 1 series.

For 3 series (except 335), ONLY front 6 pots fitted. None for rear unless force-fitted with 1 series rear pots at high cost and risks....

So why only front pots for 3 series when it's RWD? Rusty recall of my physics 101 that I flunk miserably, and got dumped by then GF, say that when brakes are applied, car weight transferred all to front. Hence front ended Brembos critical regardless of AWD, FWD, RWD. Bimbo Brembos at rear only serve to balance car when brakes applied...so almost waste of $$$$$ to install.

Woweee.....here I come with the front ended Brembos. Mmmmmm.....my 19" Perf double spokes with da yellow brake calipers gonna look just like promotional cover of BMW Perf brochure. Yup, held back on the brakes till now owing to high cost of fixing the Bimbo Brembos at rear and the worrying/annoying "cut & paste" job required to boot. Not the "plug & play" that I plan to adhere religiously with retro fits....so the front Brembos fit the bill....perfectly. Am a very happy man indeed!

E46, E90-3100 and others, how did you guys fit yours...as per above physics 101? Did workshop need to recalibrate the OBC to register/recognize/accept the Brembos? Thanking you graciously in advance.

Cheers!

E46F thanks for the invite, I have something on for that day but I will definitely do my best to try to push that appointment away ;-)

Hi Ryvinson, mine is fitted only with the front Perf Brakes. According to some research I did, the current rear brakes of the E90 is as capable as the Perf Brakes rear. That's why, no changes is needed.

6 pot brakes are great! The confidence is there!

E46Fanatic;440867 said:
I have a feeling the reason US version uses the panel filter design instead of the cone is due to the additional carbon filter element which fits into the intake box. The carbon filter prevents oil fumes from leaking out to the environment when the engine is turned off. But yeah, based on this alone, Euro and US spec cars should theoretically have different power outputs.

Yeap all US spec cars have the charcoal element which in the M3, for example, is embedded in the stock filter and for other cars eg the 5 series is a separate element which can be removed

It is interesting that despite the additional charcoal element, power outputs are similar for US and Euro spec cars. Eg the m3 Euro spec is 420ps which is 414hp, as quoted for the US version

e90-3100 - thanks for input. You don't sound (pardon pun) like the Perf exhaust is worth it? I didn't pick up the "WOW" tone in your description? Also sounds like you need to rev more owing to loss of low end torque that's typical with any boosted exhaust setup? Hmmmm....the Perf exhaust.may not be worth the time, effort and money huh? You're confirming my worst suspicions on that "cut & paste" job and only for 2 status quo pipes. But do please correct me. Please. Hmmmmm...even as I write, hatching up Plan B for exhausts......Eisenmann Race, Arqray, Akraprovic....all satisfying my wet dream quads and deep throat...ooops... deep throaty, bassy sounds that is. Okee...save exhaust discussion for another day.

Meinauto - Wow! You and E46 speak same, stranger than strange lingo mate...dun understand. But Mexican wave. Gotta address your "unsprung weight" contention on my 19" rims another time. May need to consult you on your Akraps....

Cheers!

Hi Ryvinson, probably not too good in putting my expressions to words. I should say the perf exhaust is fantastic and it meets my requirements.

The tone is neither too loud or too soft as it gives you the sporty feeling yet you will not be feeling less comfortable.

On performance as mentioned, it did not reduce my low end torque but rather improve my torque. The torque feels much stronger and you can feel it builds up all the way till probably 4000RPM before it maintains there where else when it is without the exhaust, you feel lesser torque and max out at 3000RPM.

E90-3100;441210 said:
E46F thanks for the invite, I have something on for that day but I will definitely do my best to try to push that appointment away ;-)

Hi Ryvinson, mine is fitted only with the front Perf Brakes. According to some research I did, the current rear brakes of the E90 is as capable as the Perf Brakes rear. That's why, no changes is needed.

6 pot brakes are great! The confidence is there!

got some pictar of your ride bro. not yet seen E90 with front only performance brakes:eek:...guys..standby...

Rear brake no need too makan wan, too makan will buang.. :p .. besides u can drop gear for engine drag.. try it! U'll love it!

E90-3100;441241 said:
Hi Ryvinson, probably not too good in putting my expressions to words. I should say the perf exhaust is fantastic and it meets my requirements.

The tone is neither too loud or too soft as it gives you the sporty feeling yet you will not be feeling less comfortable.

On performance as mentioned, it did not reduce my low end torque but rather improve my torque. The torque feels much stronger and you can feel it builds up all the way till probably 4000RPM before it maintains there where else when it is without the exhaust, you feel lesser torque and max out at 3000RPM.

Thanks E90-3100. I was concerned about the loss of low-end torque too but am glad to hear your feedback that this is not the case. I believe that the perf air intake is meant to match the perf exhaust and both bring out the best gains. I sure hope this is the case with my Euro Perf Air Intake and US Perf Exhaust, the bestest of the best, hahaha!

So, I'm now looking forward to do mine soon. E90-1000, please confirm, you did your exhaust at Obermaier right? Fred, any news on ETA?

Oh, the front brakes only install sounds good to me for budget considerations. How much just for the front ah? Fred, I might as well call you lou tou already since so much of my hard earned dosh is coming your way, heh.

astroboy;441260 said:
Rear brake no need too makan wan, too makan will buang.. :p .. besides u can drop gear for engine drag.. try it! U'll love it!

Fun wan..when buang then boleh lipat sideways maa..:top:

E46Fanatic;441158 said:

yoo, you confirm going?:top:

Go to Sepang in force guys! Compensate for our beloved BMW pulling out of F1. :(

velocity;441259 said:
got some pictar of your ride bro. not yet seen E90 with front only performance brakes:eek:...guys..standby...

Sure sure, I will get it uploaded next week when I am back in KL...currently out of Malaysia..

Top Bottom