BMW iPod Interface Questions

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

saat

Club Guest
I have a BMW Professional CD equiped 2008 E90 with USB and AUX inputs. I gave up on ICE and settled on an iPod. For a while I had an iPod connected to the AUX but found that the following: a. I needed to charge the iPod separately.b. I wanted to use the steering and stereo controlsc. I didn't like the high level head phone output I tried connecting the iPod USB cable to the USB port and it does not support charging or sound output. I have just installed my BMW iPod Interface in AB and MYR1,700 (kit + installation) to avoid voiding the warranty. Upon installation, the steering had a mind of its own and an error came out. Back it went and it was found that the entire electronics needed to be recalibrated because the electronics have been disturbed. Problem solved and no wonder the instruction says "Dealer Activation Required". 1. I found out that the BMW iPod interface does not support iPod Touch. Music can be played and the controls are functioning but it does not support iPod Touch charging. 2. I switched to my 80GB iPod Video and music come thru, controls functioning and the iPod is kept charged ALL the time (ignition on or off). I followed the instructions to create the BMWNXXX playlists. But the playlist does not come up on the presets as mentioned in the manual. 3. I have >4,000 songs (yes I am a glutton and searching for songs is a nightmare) but the track numbers show I have well over 6,000 songs. 1 & 3 are minor irritations but is there something wrong somewhere on # 2 above. Anyone has any experience in this. I also found out that AB sells an iPod Cable for MYR450. This cable has an iPod plug on one end and a USB and headphone minijack on the other end. Has anyone had any experience with the cable. I read somewhere that the tap from the iPod Plug in not high level output like headphone jack.

saat;391965 said:
I have a BMW Professional CD equiped 2008 E90 with USB and AUX inputs. I gave up on ICE and settled on an iPod.

For a while I had an iPod connected to the AUX but found that the following:

a. I needed to charge the iPod separately.
b. I wanted to use the steering and stereo controls
c. I didn't like the high level head phone output

I tried connecting the iPod USB cable to the USB port and it does not support charging or sound output.

I have just installed my BMW iPod Interface in AB and MYR1,700 (kit + installation) to avoid voiding the warranty.

Upon installation, the steering had a mind of its own and an error came out. Back it went and it was found that the entire electronics needed to be recalibrated because the electronics have been disturbed. Problem solved and no wonder the instruction says "Dealer Activation Required".

1. I found out that the BMW iPod interface does not support iPod Touch. Music can be played and the controls are functioning but it does not support iPod Touch charging.

2. I switched to my 80GB iPod Video and music come thru, controls functioning and the iPod is kept charged ALL the time (ignition on or off). I followed the instructions to create the BMWNXXX playlists. But the playlist does not come up on the presets as mentioned in the manual.

3. I have >4,000 songs (yes I am a glutton and searching for songs is a nightmare) but the track numbers show I have well over 6,000 songs.

1 & 3 are minor irritations but is there something wrong somewhere on # 2 above. Anyone has any experience in this.

I also found out that AB sells an iPod Cable for MYR450. This cable has an iPod plug on one end and a USB and headphone minijack on the other end. Has anyone had any experience with the cable. I read somewhere that the tap from the iPod Plug in not high level output like headphone jack.

try the playlist like this;
BMW1_rock(example)
BMW2_soul

it has to be all in CAPITOL letters and no space, however you can underscore then put rock or soul or fav's..

Thanks Guru.

I followed the instructions to the letter. Caps, format and all. I even tried several possible combinations.

My playlist are as follows:

BMW1-MyFav
BMW2-Lights
BMW3-RockFav

and I have tried:
BMW1 - My_Fav
BMW1 May_fav
BMW1May_Fav

And they all dont show up in the preset.

I can access all the playlist if I scroll up the list in preset 1 only.

I finally managed to resolve the preset issue.

Because of the high number of songs I have (26GB or 5,455 songs, , it took a long while for the Preset 2, 3 and 4 to come up.

I was impatient and after about a min and nothing came up, I switched the preset thinking that it was not working. This time I decied to wait a little longer. It took about 1.4 mins for Preset 2 to show track 1 and took almost 3 mins to for Preset 4 to show teh first track.

Now the system is showing correctly:

Preset 1 - Playlists
Preset 2 - Artists
Preset 3 - Albums
Preset 4 - Genres
Preset 5 - Podcasts
Preset 6 - Tracks

Will certainly give the pass thru a look.

Cheers

saat

For item I, I have the same problem. Reason is because the newer ipods ie touch and nano 4G has a slightly different connector.
BMW ipod package is still using the old connector. BTW, I installed mine at Sapura for only RM 1280.
The same goes for my Harman Kardon player at home. It plays but does not charge my nano 4g. But it is OK for my Touch 1G.
My JBL player is ok for all Ipods.
A bit silly for Ipod to change the connector configuration and waste of all our money.

ozone;393517 said:
For item I, I have the same problem. Reason is because the newer ipods ie touch and nano 4G has a slightly different connector.
BMW ipod package is still using the old connector. BTW, I installed mine at Sapura for only RM 1280.
The same goes for my Harman Kardon player at home. It plays but does not charge my nano 4g. But it is OK for my Touch 1G.
My JBL player is ok for all Ipods.
A bit silly for Ipod to change the connector configuration and waste of all our money.

Yeah, I did a search and found huge discussions on this. It seems Apple removed the Firewire support in their connector on the latest iPods. So all accessories, docks and connectors that supports has built-in firewire support in the connectors that is fully compatible with older ipods, will no longer support charging of new ipods. So your HK will niot charge the latest ipod touch.

Just another tactic of apple to make more money.

saat;393592 said:
You know where it's sold here?
I don't think u could get it here. U have to buy it from Ebay or Amazon. There r a lot of IPOD accessories not available in MY or SG.

saat;392032 said:
Thanks Guru.

I followed the instructions to the letter. Caps, format and all. I even tried several possible combinations.

My playlist are as follows:

BMW1-MyFav
BMW2-Lights
BMW3-RockFav

and I have tried:
BMW1 - My_Fav
BMW1 May_fav
BMW1May_Fav

And they all dont show up in the preset.

I can access all the playlist if I scroll up the list in preset 1 only.

not like that saat!

like this

BMW1_rock
BMW2_slow

MUST USE UNDERSCORE

guru;394030 said:
not like that saat!

like this

BMW1_rock
BMW2_slow

MUST USE UNDERSCORE

Yes Guru tried that one too. Like I said I tried all possible combinations including the ones mentioned in the Apple FAQ as shown below:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: How do I make a BMW playlist in iTunes?
Answer: Here's some examples of acceptable names for a BMW playlist:

• BMW1 - Rock
  • BMW3_Jims Mix
  • BMW2 highway mix

saat;394038 said:
Yes Guru tried that one too. Like I said I tried all possible combinations including the ones mentioned in the Apple FAQ as shown below:
Question: How do I make a BMW playlist in iTunes?
Answer: Here's some examples of acceptable names for a BMW playlist:

• BMW1 - Rock
  • BMW3_Jims Mix
  • BMW2 highway mix

issit? haih..that's strange. . .

when you synced your ipod to the itunes, did the playlists show up on your ipod too?

did you copy songs into those playlists? i mean there ARE songs in the playlist right?

guru;394290 said:
issit? haih..that's strange. . .

when you synced your ipod to the itunes, did the playlists show up on your ipod too?

did you copy songs into those playlists? i mean there ARE songs in the playlist right?

Yes the playlist appears in the iPod.

All the "BMW" playlists including other standard iTunes playlists, do appear at the root of Preset 1 only. The presets will now be as follows:

Preset 1 - Playlists (Standard iTunes and BMWXXX)
Preset 2 - Artists
Preset 3 - Albums
Preset 4 - Genres
Preset 5 - Podcasts
Preset 6 - All Tracks

BMW1 thru 6 does not appear under the corresponding Presets as mentioned in the manual and FAQ.

I read somewhere that this is a feature with the "newer" interfaces.

Top Bottom