BMW E60 Facelift

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bindablitz

Club Guest
BMW 5-Series has just received a facelift. Apart from the minor tweaks at the nose and bumper, plus equipment upgrade (e.g. Night Vision, head-up display, more initiative i-Drive), the biggest changes must be the engine range. Here's the summary of all engines available: Petrol: 550i: same as before, 4.8-liter V8, Valvetronic, Bi-Vanos, 367hp, 361lbft 540i: same as before, 4.0-liter V8, Valvetronic, B-Vanos, 306hp, 287lbft 530i: magnesium engine now adds piezo direct injection and ditches Valvetronic. 3.0-liter L6, Bi-Vanos, 272hp, 236lbft. (Old engine: 258hp, 221lbft) 525i: same as 530i engine. Actually 3.0-liter but detuned to 218hp and 199 lbft. (Note: 325i employs 2.5-liter engine with 218hp and 184lbft. It's a bit confusing) 523i: actually 2.5-liter L6. Also with piezo direct injection. 190hp, 173lbft Not sure when will it come to Malaysia.

Interesting....what's this piezo direct injection? Supposedly better than Valvetronic?

Also in some markets, the 530i has been replaced by the 535i using the same N54B30 twin turbo engine as debuted in the 335i.

very powerful engines indeed, wonder how are the final design of the nose and tail gonna look like, hope not too radical like the 3 series

The night vision and head-up display gonna be a nice feature, which brings you closer to the M5

quiksilve said:
very powerful engines indeed, wonder how are the final design of the nose and tail gonna look like, hope not too radical like the 3 series

The changes are very subtle. Just minor restyling of front and rear bumper and some detail changes to the head/tail lights.

The engine revision is bigger news. The US market will see the return of the 535i badging with the N54B30 engined variant.

More details here:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2070115.003/country/gcf/BMW/new-bmw-5-series-facelift-in-depth

The rear lights are LED, so it's gonna be another highly popular retro-fitted item like that on the E39......and I was wondering why BMW didn't fit the E60 with LED lights when it was first launch, that's the reason.

bmFIVE said:
The rear lights are LED, so it's gonna be another highly popular retro-fitted item like that on the E39......and I was wondering why BMW didn't fit the E60 with LED lights when it was first launch, that's the reason.

yeah i was wondering why even toyota camry now got the LED rear light . ( even Myvy) why not 5 Series. Will the latest 5 series will new facelift and LED rear light?
I really hope so... thinking to get one 523 or 525 but why it doesn't come with auto fold side mirrors???? man .....

Unfortunately, the 525i has become a 3 litre car with the accompanying disadvantage of high road tax in Malaysia...

wglee said:
Unfortunately, the 525i has become a 3 litre car with the accompanying disadvantage of high road tax in Malaysia...

yeah expensive road tax ... shd narrow decision then :p wondering when will be available. perpahs after chinese new year?

keeekeee said:
yeah i was wondering why even toyota camry now got the LED rear light . ( even Myvy) why not 5 Series. Will the latest 5 series will new facelift and LED rear light?
I really hope so... thinking to get one 523 or 525 but why it doesn't come with auto fold side mirrors???? man .....

Yeah was a little dissapointed there with the non-auto fold side mirrors on the E60, but none the less a very good car to drive and be seen driven in.

Man, it sounds confusing! A 525i with detuned 3.0 litre engine?!! I wonder if the updated engines will be carried over to the E90. This only makes economic sense i.e. they can't be producing so many engine variants cos that's costly! So, with this new direct injection, the valvetronics may soon be obsolete? Looking at the technical outputs of the new and old 525i engines, it doesn't seem like quite a big jump compared to the earlier 192 hp vs. 218 hp. Yet again, the century sprint times could reveal a more telling difference?

Putting a 3 litre engine in a mid-ranger like the 525i (or the 325i) is a bad idea for tax-sensitive markets like ours.

For those who do not wish to pay huge import duties and a hefty roadtax for 3 litre cars, they'll have to settle for the 523i (and 323i) which unfortunately is not as powerful (in terms of bhp AND torque) as the "old" 2.5 525i (and the 2.5 325i).

Time to grab the present stocks of the "old" 2.5 525is and 325is, I say!

wglee said:
Putting a 3 litre engine in a mid-ranger like the 525i (or the 325i) is a bad idea for tax-sensitive markets like ours.

For those who do not wish to pay huge import duties and a hefty roadtax for 3 litre cars, they'll have to settle for the 523i (and 323i) which unfortunately is not as powerful (in terms of bhp AND torque) as the "old" 2.5 525i (and the 2.5 325i).

Time to grab the present stocks of the "old" 2.5 525is and 325is, I say!

Yup, my thots exactly!

Agreed, they should have stayed with the 2.5litre engine rather than the detuned N52B30 engine from the E90. That engine is more technically advanced. The very least they should have changed the badging.

Btw for the US market they have revised the 525i labeling to 528i using a retuned version of the N52B30, generating 230hp. The 530i (using the N52 in 330i tune) is mirrors the changes in the E90 and is upgraded to the 535i using the 3.0 twin-turbo. The 4.8litre 550i remains the same.

The Sport with aero package on the E60 looks great! Check out the new M rims...

e60_overview.jpg

quiksilve said:
Yeah was a little dissapointed there with the non-auto fold side mirrors on the E60, but none the less a very good car to drive and be seen driven in.
Bro, even some proton wira side mirror can be fold, RM300K vehicle can't fold. Hope BMW can consider it in future

wglee,
it mean 2.5 only RM890 but 3.0 up to RM2000? so much different ar? man!

aermyn,
hopefully the new facelift side mirror can be fold :(

Top Bottom