BMW E39 530i M-Sport Individual Aegean Blue Edition 2003

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Eggie86;501294 said:
Haywire bro, when will you be coming back?

Can't wait to see your E39 in the flesh! Haha. Must yamcha someday, fellow Bristol kaki! :top:

I'm coming back in August..container should arrive somewhere in September. but not sure when the car would be release from Kastam n JPJ and all of that. Might be a while, need to do appeals for the import tax some more..the car might not be out until November I expect..

XXX;501296 said:
....the smg steering retrofit ...will it work on all E39's or only those from a certain period?

From my research I found out that the retrofit can be done to all Steptronic cars post 03/1999 build date....E46 and E39. Thats when BMW switched from single stage to two stage airbag system. But if you dont have the same shape steering wheel you need to buy a new airbag as well which costs as much as the steering itself.

Parts needed:

1. SMG Steering wheel
2. Airbag
3. New SMG slip ring/column switch
4. Wiring loom to connect to existing steptronic system (Very easy to create yourself just by using computer wires)

Note that you cant just add the paddles to an existing steering due to the different wiring systems, plus there are no holes to install it at the back of the steering. If you look around and do a search on the forum I believe there are a few used SMG steering on sale in the past..not sure if they are still available.

UPDATE: Turns out you CAN add the paddles to existing M-sport steering. Needs the bracket and paddles, will require cutting through the steering to install the mounts.

haywire;501312 said:
I'm coming back in August..container should arrive somewhere in September. but not sure when the car would be release from Kastam n JPJ and all of that. Might be a while, need to do appeals for the import tax some more..the car might not be out until November I expect..

OOh, alright man. Still over half a year to go. Haha. Finishing your studies already?

E28driver;501339 said:
Lovely E39! How's Bristol these days, I used to live in Frenchay.

Bristol is alright..recently voted the most desirable city to live in UK...everything's good. Broadmead got a new shopping extension: The Cabot Circus which opened in September 2008, not sure if you're still here when that happens. Its a lot better than Broadmead itself, a lot better quality shops and branded. Bristol even go TWO Apple store now!

I have lived in Frenchay, Filton, Stoke Park and Easton for the 7 years I'm here

Parts for the dashboard pixel problem have arrived, but I haven't got free time to myself to do that yet. Probably will do it tomorrow when I'm alone in the house, baby's in nursery.

I've bought all the parts needed for the AV input to the dashboard screen as well, just waiting for these to arrive and install.

Minor modifications now since money ran out heheheh. Expecting a major service around the corner, only 2 green lights left with Inspection II on schedule so better save for that.

Will keep you guys updated with the pixel repair DIY.

Wah...go UK, study,work etc......and when he returns, heads out to buy his dream 5 series....and then, retrofits the car...by HIMSELF. Talk about Macguyver..luxe edition!

Two HUGE thumbs up for this guy!

haywire;501319 said:
From my research I found out that the retrofit can be done to all Steptronic cars post 1999....E46 and E39. But if you dont have the same shape steering wheel you need to buy a new airbag as well which costs as much as the steering itself.

Parts needed:

1. SMG Steering wheel
2. Airbag
3. New SMG slip ring/column switch
4. Wiring loom to connect to existing steptronic system

Note that you cant just add the paddles to an existing steering due to the different wiring systems, plus there are no holes to install it at the back of the steering. If you look around and do a search on the forum I believe there are a few used SMG steering on sale in the past..not sure if they are still available.

helo haywire,

good job done:top: btw on your smg steering wheel with paddle(and furthermore, it's with tricolor stiching), really envy u lah bro.

how much you spent on the steering wheel set(item 1-4) and of course your time effort in completing the whole steering set-up.

thank you:top:

I bought that complete set from the US for around $945 usd if I'm not mistaken ($699 for the steering wheel and £199 for the slip ring and wiring and the rest is shipping). But he only declared the item for $85 to minimise my import tax to the UK.

But of course I was using my old airbag so I didnt need to pay for those.

I know its expensive, you can even get E60's steering wheel with paddles for around half that price but it is a rare item, quite hard to find plus its new. But what the heck I been dreaming about those for the longest time hehe.

oh and it takes less than an hour to install..but you gotta research first how to do things (how to remove airbags etc)

haywire;502998 said:
I bought that complete set from the US for around $945 usd if I'm not mistaken ($699 for the steering wheel and £199 for the slip ring and wiring and the rest is shipping). But he only declared the item for $85 to minimise my import tax to the UK.

But of course I was using my old airbag so I didnt need to pay for those.

I know its expensive, you can even get E60's steering wheel with paddles for around half that price but it is a rare item, quite hard to find plus its new. But what the heck I been dreaming about those for the longest time hehe.

oh and it takes less than an hour to install..but you gotta research first how to do things (how to remove airbags etc)

thanks haywire, btw how much is that airbag? and can you provide me the detail of the US company that u ordered from?

million thanks:biggrin::top:

Mann....i just can't stop drooling over & over & over again & again & again of your Aegean Blue! Awesomeness to the max...just love the M pars, the sat/nav, the M steering wheel w paddys, the M bumpers and the leather stitched center console & door cards...hmmmm...Sigh....

Me so wanna do up all those to get to where your ride is! I mean all the things except for the leather stitched console and door cards else there goes my existing interior!

kokwei9035;503216 said:
thanks haywire, btw how much is that airbag? and can you provide me the detail of the US company that u ordered from?

million thanks:biggrin::top:

He is actually an eBay seller but i did the transaction off ebay, to save ebay fees and also in order for him to declare a lower value. if you buy it from him on ebay he'll have to declare real price which is close to USD1000 (imagine the import tax) but he only declared it as USD85 for me. also lower price paid off ebay.

This is his ebay listing http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M3-SMG-steering-wheel-X5-E46-E39-E53-E38-E83-NIB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5a8bf3e9QQitemZ130368140265QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Airbags are around £150 GBP second hand, new are at about 400-500 pounds.

bimmerholic;503249 said:
Mann....i just can't stop drooling over & over & over again & again & again of your Aegean Blue! Awesomeness to the max...just love the M pars, the sat/nav, the M steering wheel w paddys, the M bumpers and the leather stitched center console & door cards...hmmmm...Sigh....

Me so wanna do up all those to get to where your ride is! I mean all the things except for the leather stitched console and door cards else there goes my existing interior!

One of my friend suggested that I repaint the car to white and tint the window black once I get back to Malaysia. He said will look better. I said noooo waaaayyyyy this is a special edition colour..no chance of me changing it. Even if I need to repaint I'll repaint the same colour again.

Hehe..I guess its just my luck that I'm here, choices are plenty. There are even 3 more (THREE!) of the exact same car (Aegean Blue special edition) selling on Autotrader but for so much more money. I'm lucky I got mine quite cheap. And its years of researching and looking at photos and drooling before i know what spec I want and I stuck to those specs that I've set.

I spent at least 1-3 hours everyday on autotrader over the past year looking at these cars. Been drooling mostly but didnt know when I could buy one.

Been living the dream since I bought it a month ago...everyday also trying to find an excuse to drive the car somewhere..when I come back home normally I took the long road. Near my house is a highway and sometimes I even turned back and do another round before I come home (highways are free here..no tol tol) and when arrived I stayed in the car for at least 10 mins..belek belek...before I went into the house. hehe. Living the dream.

haywire;503263 said:
He is actually an eBay seller but i did the transaction off ebay, to save ebay fees and also in order for him to declare a lower value. if you buy it from him on ebay he'll have to declare real price which is close to USD1000 (imagine the import tax) but he only declared it as USD85 for me. also lower price paid off ebay.

This is his ebay listing http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M3-SMG-steering-wheel-X5-E46-E39-E53-E38-E83-NIB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5a8bf3e9QQitemZ130368140265QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Airbags are around £150 GBP second hand, new are at about 400-500 pounds.

hi haywire,

just email the seller and awaiting the reply.i requested for the whole set(steering wheel; airbag and paddle shift harness kit) and hopefully get the response.

what state r u from?me from Penang...

Close enough...I'm from Sg Petani, Kedah originally. but will try to find work in KL when I get back.

very nice e39 msport. i am really loving that blue you have. tempting tempting... should i go for a respray..sigh..haha

Been trying to DIY the dash pixel repair all night with no luck yet. Will continue tomorrow. Definitely cant recommend this, its too hard.

Superb e39 bro!!:top: And the DIY jobs...:top: **respect**

I so should have bought back an e39 m-sport, instead i bought back an e46! a 318i at that :banghead: coz at first tot had not enuff budget...

minivan;503571 said:
Superb e39 bro!!:top: And the DIY jobs...:top: **respect**

I so should have bought back an e39 m-sport, instead i bought back an e46! a 318i at that :banghead: coz at first tot had not enuff budget...

Sell off the e46 and buy e39..racunnnn..:stupid:

Top Bottom