BMW 320i RFT tyre got screwed today

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

enthuse

Hey guys,

My 10 months old BMW 320i Sports Line front tyre got screwed. What a bad day !!

Appreciate if you can share your knowledge and experience with me on the following:

1. Does BSRI cover punctured tyre? (It's a long shot, no harm asking anyway)

2. Does the insurance cover punctured tyre?

3. Is it possible to patch my Bridgestone RFT tyre in the front driver side? Check out the picture, it looks like a long big screw :-(

4. If answer to (3) is yes, where do you usually do it (prefer good workmanship) and how much does it usually cost?

5. If answer to (3) is yes, will it affect the maneuverability performance. I do like to speed (>180km/h) once in a while and would like to know if it puts me in danger while in high-speed.

Thank you so much...

Attachments

• 20141119_214628 (Medium).jpg
    20141119_214628 (Medium).jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20141119_214535 (Medium).jpg
    20141119_214535 (Medium).jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 52
BSRI and insurance do not cover a punctured tyre and it's not advisable to repair a punctured RFT due to safety reasons as mentioned in your manual especially when you mention there's a big screw in it. Better to spend 1k+ to change than to lose your life =]

Small matter la bro. As long as the cut is not at the side wall, you can just patch it at the tyre shop and it's all good to go. I did on my old GY RFT and no issue at all up to 60k km. In fact, I would think that RFT should be safer to repair compared to a normal tyre.

Hi guys, if you want to take an advise from a girl.......this should be an easy and simple fix, several months ago when my tyre almost got punctured because of a nail, the tyre mechanic just pulled out the nail, injected a piece of rubber to seal up the hole caused by the nail then inflated the tyre with nitrogen gas. Until today the tyre is so far fine. My advise is, make an attempt to repair it before you decide to change the tyre which could cost you a bomb.

Rather than a simple $5 plug, you should do an internal patch of the tyre where the tyre is dismounted and a correct sized patch is then applied inside the tyre where the hole is. This is widely recognized as the preferred method over plugging especially where the cavity is bigger.

Cost around $20 and will take about 20-30 minutes to do and can be had at any good shops that does RFT tyres. Just ask for internal patching

126748717b72af04584ffb31c25eaee9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$5 patch for me too. No problem at all. Can whack to 60k km no issue at all.

agree with the other...
RFTs are not magic tyres and nothing complicated about the construction.The sidewallls are reinforced to take the force of the tyre deflation so you can continue to drive safely to the next repair shop.Just patch it up like conventional tyres and you're good to go.
1. no
2. no
3. yes
4. any tyre shop osso can
5. no.you can whack that feller to an excess of 200km/h (speaking from experience lar)

it can be patch as no issues.
if the puncture is on the firewall then throw the tyre away.

This happen to RFT last year in Cyberjaya. I continue drive back home to Putra heights which is about 30km away. No problem at all.

But the tire cannot be patched lah. Tukar baru. Look at the screw... 3 1/2 inch screw.

74c66c0facff04e813b84530f62c6340.jpg

4ec6b3b15614f5937b6016563cd97635.jpg

jakpo
Sent from Tapatalk V3.1.0

Rm5 repair, no problem. did that on my Csc5p before, lasted till the tyre reached the wear indicator.

For your screw puncture, the patch will do. No issues and have done it MANY times with no effect till the tires are due for change.

Hi guys and girls,

First of all, thank you so much for sharing your experiences! Each and every response from you are greatly appreciated :)

Finally, had my tyre fixed. The screw wasn't all that long after all. Requested for internal patch, the price was slightly higher at RM 35. The mechanic applied double patches on the inner side of the tyre.

Noticed that there was rust when the mechanic took the tyre out. Have you seen anything like that?

Attachments

• 20141122_131637 (Small).jpg
    20141122_131637 (Small).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 43
Normal for BMW.. Apply anti rust spray or grease before installing wheels will do.

..except when you patch it, and continue driving, in case accident caused by use of patched tyre, i believe, warranty is not valid..friend of mine had it, and he was unable to get a dime, as insurance claim was that tyres were patched therefore compromising car safety, blah blah..

enthuse said:
Hi guys and girls,

First of all, thank you so much for sharing your experiences! Each and every response from you are greatly appreciated :)

Finally, had my tyre fixed. The screw wasn't all that long after all. Requested for internal patch, the price was slightly higher at RM 35. The mechanic applied double patches on the inner side of the tyre.

Noticed that there was rust when the mechanic took the tyre out. Have you seen anything like that?
quite normal on all cars i would say and not just BMW.

@astroboy, @ACS325i - I would not expect rusts on that many places from a new BMW, but then what the heck.. it is what it is...

@Ecc0 - Hhmm.. This got me thinking hard if I should change the tyre after all...

my advice:

go for internal patch -Tip top rm 20-30 more safer ,rather rm 5 patch.

Top Bottom