BMW 3 series E36 320i Auto Gearbox fault lights

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Gee2

Club Guest
Hi dears,My problem started about 3 months ago when one afternoon, the gearbox cog on the dash lit up and the remained in 3rd gear. I made a desperate call to my mechanic who agreed to see the car the following day.In the morning, I started the car and the light went out with the transmission operating as normal.This has happened a few times now, becoming more frequent. As soon as the light comes on, I pull over, switch off and wait a few minutes then switch back on and the light goes out.The problem seems to occur when slowing down, possibly during an upshift from 3-2 or 2-1(if this shift happens). There is a loud clunk from the rear of the car, the cog lights up and the box goes into limp mode. Most of the time it will reset if I switch off.The car had an Inspection 2 in August last year and I advised the dealer of the problem. All they said was that they would change the oil in the box and monitor the problem.I've always looked to this forum for advice and opinion from the fine people that contribute and have solved a great many problems in the past.I've noticed that a few E34 owners have has similar problems with gearboxes relating to faults with speed sensors and solenoids.On the last service sheet from BMW it states that there is an internal fault in gearbox with speed monitoring.Can anyone shed any light on this before my local BMW dealer takes all my money ?? Thanks for your help.

go to a mechanic that you can trust and have a MODIC. Do a diagnostic of the gearbox and see what's wrong.

FYI, if you need to overhaul your gearbox (I hope not), budget abour RM3K-4K.

First of all, please introduce yourself in the newbie section.

Then post this in the correct sub forum.

Cheers.

hi,

Im having the exact same problem wt my ride(1997, E36-328i). The only difference will be my gearbox hangs ONLY when in "S" mode. Runs perfectly normal when in "E" mode. :stupid:

Tried many shops for opinion's, only got 1 answer....OVERHAUL!! I was still sceptical about it, if the gearbox is working fine on "E" mode wt smooth changes no matter how hard i push the car???Did the diagnostic's a couple of times and all different results(similar) on the computer, here are few,

1. ERROR: Speed Control Sensor
2. ERROR: Gear Monitoring Faulty

So, after checks and all that, replaced wt new Speed Control Sensor for RM400.. Drove up & down Genting all the way in "S" mode, no problems at all. Felt the torque and gear changes were smooth.

However this was more than a year ago!! Recently the problem is coming back when i drive in "S" mode....:eek: Did a check, and same ERROR reply again...Im still wondering why it only happens when in "S" mode?????:stupid:

QUESTION: What was ur mechs advice?? any quotes??

Will be great to share some views before i go for the last choice of overhaulin or rebuild the box, which is not cheap... Those who have encountered and solved the problem pls share some info...

YES and PLS, a small introduction will be nice. CHEERS:smokin:

THX
:top:

sachseelan;322066 said:
hi,

Im having the exact same problem wt my ride(1997, E36-328i). The only difference will be my gearbox hangs ONLY when in "S" mode. Runs perfectly normal when in "E" mode. :stupid:

Tried many shops for opinion's, only got 1 answer....OVERHAUL!! I was still sceptical about it, if the gearbox is working fine on "E" mode wt smooth changes no matter how hard i push the car???Did the diagnostic's a couple of times and all different results(similar) on the computer, here are few,

1. ERROR: Speed Control Sensor
2. ERROR: Gear Monitoring Faulty

So, after checks and all that, replaced wt new Speed Control Sensor for RM400.. Drove up & down Genting all the way in "S" mode, no problems at all. Felt the torque and gear changes were smooth.

However this was more than a year ago!! Recently the problem is coming back when i drive in "S" mode....:eek: Did a check, and same ERROR reply again...Im still wondering why it only happens when in "S" mode?????:stupid:

QUESTION: What was ur mechs advice?? any quotes??

Will be great to share some views before i go for the last choice of overhaulin or rebuild the box, which is not cheap... Those who have encountered and solved the problem pls share some info...

YES and PLS, a small introduction will be nice. CHEERS:smokin:

THX
:top:

I have same problem too... but upside down with your situation...
the problem occur only in 'E' mode only... when on 'S' mode there is no problem.... it shift very smooth and powerful... on 'E' sometimes it stuck and hard to shift until it reach 4k rpm before next change... i'm sure all this from electronic thingy faulty not g:box. dont know what to do next.... maybe modic...

huh, seems like a common problem now, wt these aging bimmers!! On another note, my odo has just reached 152,000 KM's and car just turned 11years. The first time i encountered this problem was about 1 and half years ago, around 140,000 KM's... Could it be dirty or faulty Air Flow Sensor??

I also checked the manual, refering to the faulty gearbox light that pops-up on ur dashboard...All it says is, when the light pops-up...ur gear will be dead at 4th, drive at moderate speeds and get it checked at nearest service centre. :thefinger: what a great help????

We also have some workshops and mech here in the forum, anyone kind enuff to offer some help or advice??

Help..Help... Thx :top:

cheers...

Bros .

Had similiar problem before . Every once a while driving , the warning will light up .
Cant really define under what occasion / RPM , sometimes at 140km , sometimes at 50km . Initially it was like once a month , then it got worse till once every other day .
Went to my trustee workshop , it was diagnosed to an expiring ECU . He got me
from a half cut ( ~ 1k ) . Plug it in . Been 2 years since that light came out .

The nice thing was that my workshop was not 100% sure it was the ECU , so the
onwer let me use the ECU for 1 month & only paid for it if the problem dissapear : )
Maybe you guys can try to negotiate for this deal too .

Good luck !

megatniza;326801 said:
Bros .

Had similiar problem before . Every once a while driving , the warning will light up .
Cant really define under what occasion / RPM , sometimes at 140km , sometimes at 50km . Initially it was like once a month , then it got worse till once every other day .
Went to my trustee workshop , it was diagnosed to an expiring ECU . He got me
from a half cut ( ~ 1k ) . Plug it in . Been 2 years since that light came out .

The nice thing was that my workshop was not 100% sure it was the ECU , so the
onwer let me use the ECU for 1 month & only paid for it if the problem dissapear : )
Maybe you guys can try to negotiate for this deal too .

Good luck !

hi bro, looks like my problem is back after one week since my last try wt re-setting the ECU. Would be great if you can give more advice as Im not sure what is the meaning of "ECU Expiring".... Also if you could PM me ur trustee mech's contact and add..want to give it a try. 1k seems reasonable and worth the try rather than than re-build my gearbox for more than 4K...

thx and have a nice weekend.
cheers...:top:

Bro, have u change the sensor attached to your throttle body???
It reads n' detect the air flow into the engine.
It works for my car... Am running on 320 5 speed g/box.

Cheers!
Jacko.

Top Bottom