Bluetooth and E60

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Guys,

Bought a nokia 6670, and connects to my ride without problems. Unfortunately, the phonebook is stagnant, did not transfer over. BreytonE60, any suggestions.

Cheers

Before getting a phone, it may be a good idea to check this site

Link for all 'official' bluetooth phones that BMW supports.

Unfortunately, the phonebook is stagnant, did not transfer over

Could you provide firmware on phone and software on your car CIP version?

BTW, I believe the BMW TCU is Motorola based, and there are talks that Nokia did this on purpose to sell more car kits :dunno:

Nobody really knows why the Bluetooth standards are not standardized :blink:

From BMW NorthAmerica, phones that are compatible:

BreytonE60,

The list of HPs on your recommended site is either US or European models. Though some are found here, but are obsolete models.

Could you provide firmware on phone and software on your car CIP version?

Don't even know where to start looking for this information. let alone what it means.

Cheers

One of the complaints about BT in E60 is that it only supports very old phones. It might work intermittently with newer ones or no voice dial or address books can't be synced etc etc.

The CIP you can't find out yourself. Only the workshop can tell you. But yours is rather new, I will bet it's later than 13.2 which supports BT.

There seems to be correlation between some info in one of the hidden menu to the CIP.

Try this:

Turn on the key to get to the idrive.
1. Press and hold the knob for about 5-6 seconds
(If you didn't hold long enough, you will get into the normal vehicle setting etc menu instead)
2. Turn the knob clock wise 3 clicks
3. Turn the knob anti clock wise 3 clicks
4. Turn the knob clock wise 1 click
5. Turn the knob anti clock wise 1 click
6. Turn the knob clock wise 1 click
7. Press the knob again

You will see that you get into a secret menu on the i-drive screen. Look for something like "kontroller" and select it. Scroll to the last entry, you should see something like "E60 ... text... 500" If yours is more than 500 it's later than CIP 13.2 for sure.

If you have the legal screen, get pass it first before doing step 1.

BTW, if you pro-nav, this method won't work.

Screen shot 2:

Mine is 500 which corresponds to CIP13.2. Thinking of going to CIP19 now.

Originally posted by Stranger@Oct 11 2005, 12:12 PM

Screen shot 1:
Stranger, looks like your model is the CBU one cos' mine has different software from yours. Also mine has no ventilation (?) slots above the screen. Your E60 is an Australian version right?

One of the complaints about BT in E60 is that it only supports very old phones. It might work intermittently with newer ones or no voice dial or address books can't be synced etc etc.
That is true, due to the time it took for development of the Bluetooth and the cars.

Wow...Secret Menu..must try tonight! Nice work Stranger! :yahoo: Love these stuffs..

BTW, i checked with AB, they say the CIP is 18.xx for their models this year.

Troubleshooting bluetooth is a nightmare..even for AB technicians. Some users have got their bluetooth to work after upgrading phone firmware.

nice phone xcell60! :) must must must try to get it to work on the car.

Hi Johnchen, your P910 works ok? what is the firmware version?

Originally posted by BreytonE60@Oct 11 2005, 05:22 PM

Hi Johnchen, your P910 works ok? what is the firmware version?
Mine's a Nokia 3230 and it works ok. Like with xcell60 I can't get the phone book to sync. Was told by AB that they have never successfully transfered any of the phone's books over to the car. They have successfully used the car's voice activated command though but not very reliable so I never set that function. Maybe I should try it and see how it works.

Mine's a Nokia 3230 and it works ok.
eh... i thought you had a P910. :D

Just now, I just saw them demo the K700, sync perfectly! but then again, the tech says, on some cars it does not work? this is X-Files le..

BTW, according to them, the snap in cradle is available for orders for some phones...hmm...old phones...damn. :aggressive:

Originally posted by xcell60@Oct 11 2005, 04:57 PM
Wow!!!!! Who are you Stranger??? Thank you for the indepth explanation.
A human being lah! :lol:

Let me introduce myself. I am anak Johor, though I spent 1/3 of my time each year in Penang when I was a kid. Now I am working in Singapore, and every few months I drive back to KL. So if you see a titanium silver/gray interior SDG plate E60 520i, with the word "STRANGER" tagged just below the rear number plate, give me a wave, yah? :yes:

In fact, most of the info I gathered at www.e60.net. I learnt a lot from the folks there.

They have successfully used the car's voice activated command though but not very reliable so I never set that function. Maybe I should try it and see how it works.

John,

I swear by the voice command. It works wonderfully. Furthermore, it exercises your memory, rather than saying "DIAL JOHNCHEN". My command is "DIAL NUMBER". If I were to put a face to the sexy voice, it would have to be Angelina Jolie.

I checked my navigation panels and I ain't got bluetooth. could this be a territory specific thinggy?

Poison,

What do you mean by territory specific. Where are you located? This should be as simple as downloading the latest idrive software by AB.

His location state Macau... i think BT is not standard in BMW HK? It is not stated on their website. May have to retrofit. :(

Originally posted by xcell60@Oct 12 2005, 08:49 AM
They have successfully used the car's voice activated command though but not very reliable so I never set that function. Maybe I should try it and see how it works.

John,

I swear by the voice command. It works wonderfully. Furthermore, it exercises your memory, rather than saying "DIAL JOHNCHEN". My command is "DIAL NUMBER". If I were to put a face to the sexy voice, it would have to be Angelina Jolie.
Hey bro, how do you go about programing in the voice commands?? Forgot the steps alredi lah!!

Top Bottom