Biofuel from Palm Oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

et5

Club Guest
HI SifusAny idea on how to convert engines to run on this Biofuel? Govt seems committed to promoting this?Is this only applicable to Diesel type cars or can petrol engined cars use it? :blink: :D

I think PORLA converted some Merc with diesel engines to run with the special blend of palm oil some years back. But after that, seem to have no follow-up on this technology... not many ppl are aware of this technology and where to buy this kind of palm oil lah when fuel runs out??? But then I recalled the engine can still run with normal diesel...

Well, from what 've been told, bio-diesel works only on diesel engines, as the name suggests. It's actually a mixture of "normal" diesel and palm oil, not too sure in what proportion though, basically to supplement the actual volume of normal diesel, but I suppose at some point in time, it will be developed to run on its own, without the need to be mixed.

TQ Sifu

Since they did not use BM diesel engines.. got no ref point ..read that BM doing intensive research into Hydrogen/Methanol-gas vehicles ..nothing on bio-diesel.
oh well..seems we are putting the cart b4 the horse by setting -up palm oil fuel stations b4 the public can make an informed choice.

Mana ada system? sigh! :ph34r:

Methanol? Did someone say methanol? I have some of sale ... but you have to buy 1 load la ... that's about 20MT tons.

bio-diesel can be used in normal diesel engines, but not petrol engines.

u can cook up bio-diesel at home using waste cooking oil. dont need fresh palm oil for it. not a quick process tho. u must really love the environment to even bother. me, im going to be dead in about 20 yrs anyway, if not sooner, so i figure the greenhouse effect is my kid's (if i ever have any) problem. ;)

there are websites teaching u how to cook bio-diesel if ur so inclined.

redd

but you still the methanol right to make bio-diesel ... hahaha

anyway i'm selling methanol to bio-diesel people so if anyone wants to buy a load from them I can link you up ... cheers.

no i dont think u need methanol to make bio-diesel. u do need some agent to separate some stuff in the palm oil, but as i recall, it was a powdery substance.

i could be wrong tho, so dont quote me. :)

redd

Methanol or Ethanol can be mixed with petrol to no more than 10 percent of your fuel. Octane booster is made from the same stuff.

During the First Gulf War, Chevy came out with some duo fuel car, running on Ethanol and Petrol. You could switch fuel whenever you liked. I think it was a Chevy Cavalier. It failed because the petrol price didn't sky rocket like it did during the war of 1973.

In Brazil cars are using bio-fuel made from sugar cane. This is a great thing so far because its a combination of 20% ethanol and 80% fossil fuel. The Bio-diesel Malaysia is planning contains only 5% palm oil. So what gains can you see from just 5%. I say do more research into an independent fuel, no bio-diesel or fossil fuel. Than we maybe we can move ahead to a clean future.

In Iceland they have converted all their public buses to run on Hydrogen. Thats easy for them because they get hydrogen straight from the ground. If we were to do that we would have to generate the hydrogen by means of coal burning or even diesel burning machines. Basically going back to square one.

Mazin aka whl

Hmmm ... using fresh cooking oil doesn't make sense as it is actually more expensive than diesel. If this thing takes off in Malaysia KFC will operate a filling station. :D Then again goverment will start to tax our fried chicken.

btw whl ... Hydrogen in Iceland doesn't come out from the ground. It is supplied by an oil company. Ironically....

They heat their building and town roads with the hot water that comes out of the ground though

Oleochemical companies in Malaysia such as Cognis and Vitamin E plants produce methyl ester (methanol is used in reaction to produce this ester) and this can be mixed with diesel to produce bio-diesel ... there are other types of bio-diesels including using Palm oil itself but these require the alteration of the engine of the car.

Originally posted by seb@Jan 24 2006, 10:25 PM
Hmmm ... using fresh cooking oil doesn't make sense as it is actually more expensive than diesel. If this thing takes off in Malaysia KFC will operate a filling station. :D Then again goverment will start to tax our fried chicken.

btw whl ... Hydrogen in Iceland doesn't come out from the ground. It is supplied by an oil company. Ironically....

They heat their building and town roads with the hot water that comes out of the ground though
According to some magazine I read couple of years back, they said that the hydrogen in Iceland is naturally sourced. Maybe its just a by-product of the heat from the ground. Maybe a country like New Zealand could try the same and pass on the benefits, since they have a lot of active geisers and they are much closer to Malaysia.

Mazin aka whl

another alternative fuel for petrol engines are CNG. widely available and easier to retroffit into existing engines.... not so sure though the price, will be about 4K for quality kit with steel tanks.

downside though, you'll have to queue with the cabs while refueling :ph34r:

was doing research the other day on conversions, it'll easily fit an E30. Got help from a good friend and his father who owns a company doing the conversions.....

Top Bottom