Battery warning lights

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

effierizal

Club Guest
Hi everyone and good day. Need some advise from sifus here..My UDM battery warning light came on this evening. At first, it was intermittent, then it stayed on until I reached home from the office. Is it early sign of alternator going kaput? I did a self-test on the OBD. Voltage reading before engine start was 12v+, and after starting, it hovers between 12v+ and sometimes dipping to 11v+. Some says it should stay above 13v+...:afraid: If anyone has encountered this before, please share. Your inputs are welcomed. Cheers

I think for the next few days, better refrain yourself from driving around until you get it properly checked by ur mech..or else there's a risk you might get stranded somewhere..it's very likely the alternator is not doing its job..better check the alternator first, and then move on to the battery..else u might end up unnecessarily changing the battery

just my 2 cents..

Thanks guys for the advice. Called Marvyn (0197540438) this morning, he in the business of selling new & recond alternators (and even repairs yours) in Batu Caves. Unfortunately due to Merdeka Day his shop is closed and will go there first thing tomorrow morning for checking / repair / change. Quoted me RM 400+ for a recond unit.

Any advice on these recond things? Budget extremely tight as Hari Raya just around the corner..

Cheers

recon alternator should be OK. Normally they change the rectifier bridge that is faulty.

btw, it the alternator that is not working. change it and try to conserve power when driving.

Hi,

I am also looking form an alternator, but when you said recon, does it means that the alternator had been done something to it?

What abt buying from a half cut garage, that consider recon or used? BTW RM400 that ok, new RM1,700, I saw one last week at one of the workshop which having my car attended to. Ask for warranty

Tx

Recon mean that the alternator previously have some problem. Could be faulty rectifier bridge, worn out slip ring or carbon brush. The workshop will take the faulty alternator to a wireman for repair. He will change whatever part that is faulty and hence it is considered recon. Usually recon unit comes with 3 to 6 months warranty.

Chop shop are USED part from car that are taken off the road. If the part are from Japan, then they are quite reliable but it depend on your luck. Usually recon unit comes with 1 to 2 weeks warranty.

So, which is more reliable and cost difference between the two?
Which do you go for?

SBB;557334 said:
So, which is more reliable and cost difference between the two?
Which do you go for?

which ever cheaper.. both also used.. i take the recon unit.

Update;

Instead of getting a recond unit, Marvyn adviced me to repair mine as I would retain all the ori housing, pulley, etc. He changed all bearings, brush, rectifier bridge, and even cleaned up the whole damn thing and looking spanking new!

After 1+ hours and RM 580 lesser later, the 11 yrs old alternator is pumping 13V+ based on the OBD and 14V+ according to Marvyn's volt meter.:rock:

Cheers

p.s: If yours kaput already, just repair it instead of getting a recond or chop shop unit while watch what are being replaced and you know why..:top:

That's good news...u already save RM1,120 compared to a new unit (duit raya). I sure gonna keep his number in case mine kaput. BTW mind giving the address?

I had the same problem last 3weeks. I change the alternator with the new one.. It's cost me around RM1200 including workmanship.

Top Bottom