Battery Voltage

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

suren2485

Club Guest
I just replaced my battery DIN88, when i check the voltage before starting the car it shows only 11.5V and after starting it shows 13.5. is the correct ? i read in the manual, its stated it should be around 12.6v before starting the car and after starting should be between 13.5 and 14.5 when running. mine stays between 13.4 - 13.5 only it doesn't go beyond that, Is this normal or could it be an alternator issue ?

Attachments

• a-charging_system_voltage.gif
    a-charging_system_voltage.gif
    36.6 KB · Views: 32
You have to check the voltage at the battery after start engine. If the voltage really as you mentioned, alternator starting to bye bye to you.

sorry tweiboon, cant really understand ur rational. If voltage low before starting the engine, I cant see the rational how it indicates alternator saying bye bye.

suren2485 said:
I just replaced my battery DIN88, when i check the voltage before starting the car it shows only 11.5V and after starting it shows 13.5. is the correct ? i read in the manual, its stated it should be around 12.6v before starting the car and after starting should be between 13.5 and 14.5 when running. mine stays between 13.4 - 13.5 only it doesn't go beyond that, Is this normal or could it be an alternator issue ?
you just replaced the battery.this came off the shelf and maybe low on charge.take the reading again after a day or two.

When i check the voltage at the battery at the battery shop its showing 14 . Used multimeter at friends place around 13.8. So alternator ok ?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

moots said:
you just replaced the battery.this came off the shelf and maybe low on charge.take the reading again after a day or two.
Bro moots, this is my 2nd battery, changed a while back say 2 weeks ago, sama juga results on both batteries

bro if voltage is between 13.5 and 14.5...your alt is working fine.don't worry about it.

errr...2nd battery?how long did you have yr 1st batt before it kong?
i think you better tell the whole story so we can sum up and offer possible cause and the solution...

Ok i bought a brand new battery, then i saw the voltage not according to spec, was using it for 3 weeks then i went back to the shop and told him the story, he changed another brand new battery and i still get the same. So thats the whole story :)

he he....short story that.
if you don't have starting issues or any other ielectrical issues apart from doing a direct measure and finding the voltage at rest is less than 12v....i wouldn't lose sleep over it...

Is normal LA.if you disconnect your battery terminal then it will went back to 12.6V why I say this because when you test the voltage your door is open and there is about 8-10 bulb is drawig your battery current.

moots said:
he he....short story that.
if you don't have starting issues or any other ielectrical issues apart from doing a direct measure and finding the voltage at rest is less than 12v....i wouldn't lose sleep over it...
Ah okok cool heheheh cause manual says different that's why i was curious

sewell said:
Is normal LA.if you disconnect your battery terminal then it will went back to 12.6V why I say this because when you test the voltage your door is open and there is about 8-10 bulb is drawig your battery current.
But the manually say 12.6 i reckon this includes the lights all running [emoji16]

Usually how long the battery can last? If ns60, ns70 usually max can go up to 3 years only

wgh939 said:
Usually how long the battery can last? If ns60, ns70 usually max can go up to 3 years only
If normal battery one year gone liao. Where can last so long. Battery life very much depend on usage. If lots of night driving and Aircon shorter life for battery.

My original battery went out after 11 years. My bosch replacement is more than 2 years now.

splee said:
If normal battery one year gone liao. Where can last so long. Battery life very much depend on usage. If lots of night driving and Aircon shorter life for battery.
Yes battery do last a bit longer if they are stored away from the engine compartment. The lifespan of the battery tend to last longer if working in a cooler ambient temperature but not near freezing point.

Top Bottom