Auto Transmission Oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by willie@Oct 20 2005, 04:48 PM
jarance, mine not really don't want to shift.... it goes to 2nd gear, then at about 3,000 rpm suppose it should up shift right?? the gearbox doesn't, instead the gear like went to Neutral (the engine RPM goes to 6,000) and the car is not moving at all, just like reving it at Neutral.... any comments???
yup this is a contact problem for the gear shift...

The neutral and drive position are close to each other. If the drive mode contact is worn out, it will sometime fail to sent the signal to the control of the auto tranny.

have the contact check out. even if I am wrong, it don't really cost you much..

Originally posted by dannisboo2001@Sep 29 2005, 12:11 PM
Hi All the Guru..Did the auto trasmission Oil not need to change? like service Up 2 limit we have to change the black oil..but my mechanic told me not to change??

*'ll it be rosak my gear box after some time, if i not change it?

thx 4 ajar..
personal experian .. before i do that also have a lot of defference advice from everyway, after changing the auto gear oil and rear dif oil my old 325i was running very smooth and powerful than before, ( even drain out oil still look good ). I was very happy for that. so try, but get the right specification accordingly before hand. good luck!

My E34 facing this problem.
When going up hill the "Trans Program" message appear on the VDO and ask me to refer to manual handbook. The gear position indicator go off at the same time. It only stuck to 1 gear and won't shift when this happen.

After restart the engine, the message go off and it return to normal.
I tried to push M button and shift to 2nd gear when going up hill, the problem didn't appear anymore.

This problem only appear when I going up hill and not all the time. When I drive in town, it's just perfectly OK.
What could go wrong that cause this prob?

Thanks!

Thinking of changing my auto tranny oil and r/diff oil soon, anybody used redline before, is it good;

any spesific spec for udm ? or just dextron III
how many liters required ?
cost?

Diff oil
Spec ?
volume ?

WOW, we gotta offer you guys some special deal or something.. sorry if this post is against any policies here, if it is, sorry.. just delete it. But really I feel like we can help members here in this area of avoiding auto transmission rebuilds ..we do transmission flushes everyday for almost every make and model you can think of.. and it is a way better option than a rebuild.. we have been 99.9 percent successful in keeping our customers from rebuilding/repair .. this includes everyone whose gearbox was pronounced DOA by EH and M-scope.

Heat is the killer and time is the enemy.. it's only a matter of time before the heat beats your ATF and kills your gearbox.. so fight fire with fire and go with High temp fully Synthetic ATF.. we have both Redline High temp and Royal Purple MAX ATF .. then got Lubegard Red for insurance..

The way we do it - first a test drive and then do a scan.. we make sure the problem is not too far gone or is electrical related etc.. our process is with a closed loop machine and specific BMW adapter.. the car is hoisted the machine connected and we begin with running the car ..wheels turning through the gears.. tranny pumps out to the cooler as normal operation, where we intercept it to the machine's internal waste collector and from a fresh supply new ATF is returned the gearbox.. this continues until the all the old ATF and crap is pulled out.. and what is flowing out is almost as clean as what is going in.. the machine is not those cheap Taiwanese or China brands.. it is a fully digital Japanese machine that is rated the best and safest in the world.. made by Yamada ... to help ease the cost we start off with a standard ATF to get the gearbox clean then swich supply pails to the final fill ATF which will usually be RP MAX ATF or Redline.

Besides the fixing of problems .. the fully Synthetic high performance ATF's I mentioned truly last a long time even in this climate, before requiring another flush.. as much as 80K kms.. not like the "Semi-Synth's OEM part number claiming to be Lifetime joke ATF" ..as well the overall vehicle performance can be noticed as there is less drag from the autobox and ... peace of mind is priceless..

Peace,
Autochild

Sounds impressive bro. I'm now at the 180,000KM mark and had my ATF flushed with a regular ATF cocktail from Caltex or Castrol (can't remember)about 30,000KM ago. About RM170.

How much would your ATF flush procedure and SuperDuper lifelong concoction cost for a ZF 5 Speed? The car is a late model E34.

Cheers!

No commercial addresses and telephone numbers. Do you and your PhD partner know how to read?

hey guys..interesting thread.

i've got a slight worry..i'm sensing something amiss with my gearbox.its a 5speed steptronic e46 328i.so far,regular D mode shifts are smooth up to 4th..now,between 4th to 5th somehow the gearbox goes into lazy mode and refuses to upshift when i slightly feather the throttle.it'll just maintain a constant engine speed without any acceleration.its so irritating..normally when we accelerate from 1st right up through the ratios,as we get to the desired speed we'll feather the throttle and the box'll shift to 5th and settle.well,mine won't do that especially lately.
to coax it to 5th,i'd have to actually step on it a bit more then only will it reluctantly enter 5th.sometimes i get so irritated i'd just go to step mode and nudge it to 5th then back to D.
what do you guys think?
it works fine in step mode even during hard acceleration runs..shifts smooth.

Originally posted by Bp88@Nov 6 2005, 06:48 PM
My E34 facing this problem.
When going up hill the "Trans Program" message appear on the VDO and ask me to refer to manual handbook. The gear position indicator go off at the same time. It only stuck to 1 gear and won't shift when this happen.

After restart the engine, the message go off and it return to normal.
I tried to push M button and shift to 2nd gear when going up hill, the problem didn't appear anymore.

This problem only appear when I going up hill and not all the time. When I drive in town, it's just perfectly OK.
What could go wrong that cause this prob?

Thanks!
BP88, the symptoms you described is like exactly what happened to mine. Basically the trans program code is out, and when that happens the gearbox ECU will activate the "safe mode" preventing further damage to the tranny.

You could do two things 1) do a flush and hope the problem goes away and 2) open up the tranny and check for broken parts.

I did option 2 since I could hear some whinning noise which was not present before and voila it was a broken first gear housing.

On the same note, I have tried Redline's Fully Synthetic ATF...and its awesome!! :)

Infringement of forum policy [/QUOTE said:
Guys,

I have used Autochild's services before and I highly recommend them. Ask for Brendan, this man will look after your needs.

He did some work on my manual tranny(oil replacment and treatment) and it now shifts brilliantly!

We do 10 Automatic gearboxes for every manual box we do.. we (BIASED) recommend it ;)

peace,
Autochild

Originally posted by Autochild@Dec 4 2005, 01:40 AM
WOW, we gotta offer you guys some special deal or something.. sorry if this post is against any policies here, if it is, sorry.. just delete it. But really I feel like we can help members here in this area of avoiding auto transmission rebuilds ..we do transmission flushes everyday for almost every make and model you can think of.. and it is a way better option than a rebuild.. we have been 99.9 percent successful in keeping our customers from rebuilding/repair .. this includes everyone whose gearbox was pronounced DOA by EH and M-scope.

Heat is the killer and time is the enemy.. it's only a matter of time before the heat beats your ATF and kills your gearbox..  so fight fire with fire and go with High temp fully Synthetic ATF.. we have both Redline High temp and Royal Purple MAX ATF .. then got Lubegard Red for insurance..

The way we do it - first a test drive and then do a scan.. we make sure the problem is not too far gone or is electrical related etc.. our process is with a closed loop machine and specific BMW adapter.. the car is hoisted the machine connected and we begin with running the car ..wheels turning through the gears.. tranny pumps out to the cooler as normal operation, where we intercept it to the machine's internal waste collector and from a fresh supply new ATF is returned the gearbox.. this continues until the all the old ATF and crap is pulled out.. and what is flowing out is almost as clean as what is going in.. the machine is not those cheap Taiwanese or China brands.. it is a fully digital Japanese machine that is rated the best and safest in the world.. made by Yamada ... to help ease the cost we start off with a standard ATF to get the gearbox clean then swich supply pails to the final fill ATF which will usually be RP MAX ATF or Redline.

Besides the fixing of problems .. the fully Synthetic high performance ATF's I mentioned truly last a long time even in this climate, before requiring another flush.. as much as 80K kms.. not like the "Semi-Synth's OEM part number claiming to be Lifetime joke ATF" ..as well the overall vehicle performance can be noticed as there is less drag from the autobox and ... peace of mind is priceless..

Peace,
Autochild
Hi Autochild,

Read this and presumed that you are an expert of auto trans. Wonder if you could asses the auto trans condition of my newly bought E30. It's an 87 320i. I have only driven new cars before so don't know what to comment on my E30 auto trans performance. Generally, if compared to my driving experience of new cars, the performance is quite sluggish and inefficient. Also noted that the gearbox shifter rod (or whatever they call it) is a bit warm after long driving. Sometimes a bit of heat/burn smell too near the gear box. When asked general mechanics, the responded that it's normal for old cars. Is that so? is it worth for me to spend money to maintain this auto trans? Also, checked the ATF level and it seemed ok.

So finally how do I contact you? Where are you located? I was told to look for Brendan.

Thanks and awaiting for your reply.

Top Bottom