anyone tuned(performance) your 325?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
B33mEr;419204 said:
And here i thought that we're discussing about engine performance mod for the benefit of everyone :rolleyes: and yes of course i can learn more by actions (does writing a cheque for performance parts and installation constitute learning?) if i install it myself which i don't have the skills, tools and experience so the next best thing is to ask those that do.
Fyi my car still is under warranty so i can't do jack squat when it comes to engine ... But it is an interesting subject to learn more about... Hence the questions. Plus it benefits you more as a business entity as it will gather interest from forumers regarding engine mods. So leforte i have no wish to engage you in another arguments as i am here to learn and share knowledge ...

P/s: Dyno sheets or pix of the said engine? :D

i have no means of provoking you. i do admire your will to learn.

so here is a simple answer to your earlier question in plain english.
the engine is generating more power and torque from the standard 2.3 hartge engine thanks to the higher compression ratio which equals more air& fuel burn per engine cycle. the higher you compressed the a/f mixture, the harder the mixture ignites and explode to generate power. along with a 4 individual throttle body setup as oppose to the restrictive stock bmw unit that hartge uses, the air flow of the engine is increase and hence even extra power is generated from the based engine. hope this is easier to understand.

dyno sheet and pix available but they are the sole property of the owner. you may try chatting with him into showing it to you or a ride in the car.

leforte;419214 said:
i have no means of provoking you. i admire you will to learn.

here is a simple answer to your earlier question in plain english.
the engine is generating more power and torque from the standard 2.3 hartge engine thanks to the higher compression ratio which equals more air& fuel burn per engine cycle. the higher you compressed the a/f mixture, the harder the mixture ignites and explode to generate power. along with a 4 individual setup as oppose to the restrictive stock bmw unit that hartge uses, the air flow of the engine is increase and hence even extra power is generated from the based engine. hope this is easier to understand.

dyno sheet and pix available but they are the sole property of the owner. you may try chatting with him into showing it to you or a ride in the car.
:top:

So i guess by using a Porsche MAF unit is to induce the DME to increase it's fueling rate since MAF is basically a hot filament of which the DME use that to calculate the air mass??? more air = equals more fuel??? Why not Alpha-N instead of MAF?

B33mEr;419218 said:
So i guess by using a Porsche MAF unit is to induce the DME to increase it's fueling rate since MAF is basically a hot filament of which the DME use that to calculate the air mass???

the stock maf acts as a bottleneck with the new engine and manifold setup. so a less restrictive unit is use.

B33mEr;419218 said:
:top:

So i guess by using a Porsche MAF unit is to induce the DME to increase it's fueling rate since MAF is basically a hot filament of which the DME use that to calculate the air mass??? more air = equals more fuel??? Why not Alpha-N instead of MAF?

by just adding the MAF, the car will stumble and stall. new tuning will be required to match the air flow and fueling the engine. it is essential that the DME is reprogrammed with the required tune for all the above mentioned mods, the engine will not be anywhere near those performance figures without a proper tune..

Yea la of course need money . .

Bro Leforte . What are the main thing i have to change ? ? or add-ons . can list out the item and price ? thanks

jeffreychung;419725 said:
Yea la of course need money . .

Bro Leforte . What are the main thing i have to change ? ? or add-ons . can list out the item and price ? thanks

Jeff, I think it would be more appropriate if you contact Leforte directly and set a appointment. He will need to see your car specification and talk to you on your need before he can give you the option. Basically, it boiled down to how much is your budget and how much extra power do you want. Each and every other option will increase your power and various tuning for various options added on.

Beside the increase in power, you also have to consider the handling like suspension, brakes, tyres.

and at the end of the day, can you handle the power. i.e. a better driver:listen:

haha no worries . . wish my 325 can be like a 330 . . haha . . dont know how much it gonna cost . can any1 give me Leforte contact ?

jeffreychung;424348 said:
haha no worries . . wish my 325 can be like a 330 . . haha . . dont know how much it gonna cost . can any1 give me Leforte contact ?

the cheapest and the most efficient way is to supercharged it.
have around 20k stand by. i think that would be good enough for you to beat any 330.
you can go singapore to get parts. its a lot cheaper. last time saw a super charger kit that would fit in our car for sell at 6500 SGD. thats quite a good bargain.

jc@;426138 said:
the cheapest and the most efficient way is to supercharged it.
have around 20k stand by. i think that would be good enough for you to beat any 330.
you can go singapore to get parts. its a lot cheaper. last time saw a super charger kit that would fit in our car for sell at 6500 SGD. thats quite a good bargain.

And don't foget to add another 10k or more for brake upgrades, suspensions upgrade, bushings, subframe reinforcement, and etc :D :top:

leforte;419143 said:
in general,to increase the performance of a N/A engine, you start with the engine's VE volumetric efficiency. most oem N/A engine has a restrictive VE from the factory. you improve the VE, you gain the power loss due to the restriction.

:adore: speaking from a true master.

Since we are in tuning topics ( to others: upgrade to 18" or tinting is not performance mods!!),
what is the basic DME setup that allow custom tuning with scalability?
So far the things I read, standalone like MegaSquirt, Autowerk, and etc replaced the DME? Any other "budget" or simpler choice?
How feasible is the "remap" or "rechip" ? Does rechip has 8x8 fuel map or better ? Can user change the fuel map with a laptop hookup ? (instead of flashing the chip using external device)

:adore: speaking from a true master.

Since we are in tuning topics ( to others: upgrade to 18" or tinting is not performance mods!!),
what is the basic DME setup that allow custom tuning with scalability?
So far the things I read, standalone like MegaSquirt, Autowerk, and etc replaced the DME? Any other "budget" or simpler choice?

sticking with the stock dme is a "budget" choice. simply put, there is is so much the stock dme can do that there is nothing under the price of 50k USD that can better the the stock DME's tunebility from siemens or bosch. if its seriously that easy and cheap, everyone can build a car right? and car companies wont need to spend millions just on R&D. non of the stand alone above or even haltech, motec for that matter can control or managed the variable vanos and ignition timing on a modern bmw engine eg: m54, s54 and beyond. thats why you see small racing teams removing their vanos just to simplify the tuning of their cars. most factory backed teams employed the use of the stock dme or cost extreme dme like magneti marelli on their cars and these are all backed up by a team engineers fr the factory for which without them, the hardware is just pieces of scrapmetal.
How feasible is the "remap" or "rechip" ? Does rechip has 8x8 fuel map or better ? Can user change the fuel map with a laptop hookup ? (instead of flashing the chip using external device)

please telll us why would you need them?

leforte;426355 said:
thats why you see small racing teams removing their vanos just to simplify the tuning of their cars.
I thought, racing car dont' need VANOS because they simply dont' need it. They rarely get below 4000RPM, and having less moving parts in engine mean faster rebuilt and cheaper cost. And durability.

I had various experience in turbocharging a car. From building my own exhaust manifold (log types of course), install emanage, turbo, injectors, welding the intake and exhaust, to tuning the car myself. But I am still far from calling an expert.

I am planning to add SC down the road. But for now I want a system than I can log the data (throttle, duty cycle, O2, and etc). For what you said at earlier post, what I know about tuning, I need to throw it all out and relearn. So getting a system that I can log the data sure will help me.
The other reason: I am not sure how great is the stock DME mapping, but for most JDM cars, you can sqeeze few more hp using piggyback. Most stock ECU suck big time. (7x7 fuel map compare to 16x16). I hope to get few more hp from the hiop exhaust manifold that was installed in my car by previous owner. And I can put my Wideband O2 sitting in my home in good use.

Thanks. :)

turbology;426365 said:
I thought, racing car dont' need VANOS because they simply dont' need it. They rarely get below 4000RPM, and having less moving parts in engine mean faster rebuilt and cheaper cost. And durability.

I had various experience in turbocharging a car. From building my own exhaust manifold (log types of course), install emanage, turbo, injectors, welding the intake and exhaust, to tuning the car myself. But I am still far from calling an expert.

I am planning to add SC down the road. But for now I want a system than I can log the data (throttle, duty cycle, O2, and etc). For what you said at earlier post, what I know about tuning, I need to throw it all out and relearn. So getting a system that I can log the data sure will help me.
The other reason: I am not sure how great is the stock DME mapping, but for most JDM cars, you can sqeeze few more hp using piggyback. Most stock ECU suck big time. (7x7 fuel map compare to 16x16). I hope to get few more hp from the hiop exhaust manifold that was installed in my car by previous owner. And I can put my Wideband O2 sitting in my home in good use.

Thanks. :)

JDM cars too will not work well with most piggy back. a friend's sti version 9 had one on. the tuning readapts itself just a few days after tuning it at the a very prominent JDM tuning shop in sunway. at the end he opted for a n1 ecu remap which is the same as DME remapping and that cured every issue he had before from A/F ratio, ignition timing, boost and ultimately getting more power than he could ever reliably get from a piggyback. some standalone will work on a jdm, but its still all limited in what they can do for the price you paid. as for tuning a continental be it bmw, porsche or whatever? well.. they are just build and tuned in a entirely different way.

from what you are saying, DME remapping is the only way.
What I have to do with my DME? Do I need to sent it off everytime I need a remap ?

Top Bottom