anyone knows the history of this car ?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

unstopables_7

Official Member
hey guys , i came across this e36 with a good "nego' price,looks interesting but a bit afraid on the car status on the road. I am doing some checking(jpj&police) on the car status but just for second opinion just tought wanna share this here..is it value for money?year 1993 , 318 converted to 328 ( no kastam form)car has some minor accessories (rims , bilstien & etc)engine looks okay with just the (catalyst light pop out) not sure whats that for..according to the foreman the car has no probs just the owner convert the engine and didnt pay full to the halfcut thats the reason there no kastam form.prob to be solved for me..1) changed name should not be a problem in future2) no blacklist3) no kastam form can be "kautim" either kautim kastam form or new engine4) puspakom should go through well without any "kautim" just to know the real car conditionwhat do u guys think?btw this is the car pictures..
IMG_1424_zps956f60e9.jpg
IMG_1428_zps4c4d89f9.jpg

check the works done on the wiring pls ...did they replace the whole wiring system from front to back OR cut and paste ...

if it's cut and paste ..it's ain't worth the time and effort as you may need a full complete wiring loom to get this car back to glory

others that may need your attention since it's a converted car ...check on the braking and suspension system ...as this may be neglected as still using the 4 potter system ..

ICEMAN 13;762251 said:
check the works done on the wiring pls ...did they replace the whole wiring system from front to back OR cut and paste ...

if it's cut and paste ..it's ain't worth the time and effort as you may need a full complete wiring loom to get this car back to glory

others that may need your attention since it's a converted car ...check on the braking and suspension system ...as this may be neglected as still using the 4 potter system ..

oh ya..totally forgot about that,thanks sifu will get the wiring checked sifu .. do u know whats the "catalyst" light for?

unstopables_7;762256 said:
oh ya..totally forgot about that,thanks sifu will get the wiring checked sifu .. do u know whats the "catalyst" light for?

hick-ups from in complete conversion could cause you a gremlin head ache .... so for such light ..it could be anything from as small as a wiring to as big a Gbox failure ...could be anything ...

and yehh to add on . autobox 4 sp, 5sp or manual ...

The car looks good. From the fade of the paint, confirm no recent accident and overall, door gaps are all very uniform, with the wheels and bodykits, this previous owner is pretty tasteful and did poured in lots of TLC into the car.

Walk away from this sale. Kautim kastem is not real it will come back to haunt you. Is the car below market value ?

ICEMAN 13;762260 said:
hick-ups from in complete conversion could cause you a gremlin head ache .... so for such light ..it could be anything from as small as a wiring to as big a Gbox failure ...could be anything ...

and yehh to add on . autobox 4 sp, 5sp or manual ...

oic now i get it..as for autobox i really dont have any idea .. its auto 4 or 5 sp not sure..
i will only know more about the engine is when i test drive it and for the wiring bro i just called the guy he said its comfirm 328 but how do i know its true?
can we know its cut and paste or changed the entire wiring?and how?

lastly ..lets say the worst thing that i will face is a engine conversion?am i right?

astroboy;762261 said:
The car looks good. From the fade of the paint, confirm no recent accident and overall, door gaps are all very uniform, with the wheels and bodykits, this previous owner is pretty tasteful and did poured in lots of TLC into the car.
thats the thing that really surprise me,from the call from my fren i tought is old and been left for years but upon viewing the car looks okay with just a good paint job and servicing the car is good..

pussy;762273 said:
Walk away from this sale. Kautim kastem is not real it will come back to haunt you. Is the car below market value ?
any reason of walking off bro?
is not kautim the kastam bro but kautim with the chop shop for the kastam form for the current engine only..which if i take i dont think im gonna use the 328 engine..and yeah is below market value..

pussy;762273 said:

If the car has a valid registration card, plong in a 318is engine lor. Make sure got clean kastam paper, kao tim.

thats a good option astroboy but 318is i believe is not easy to get right? and yes the car has a valid registration card ..

unstopables_7;762275 said:
oic now i get it..as for autobox i really dont have any idea .. its auto 4 or 5 sp not sure..
i will only know more about the engine is when i test drive it and for the wiring bro i just called the guy he said its comfirm 328 but how do i know its true?
can we know its cut and paste or changed the entire wiring?and how?

lastly ..lets say the worst thing that i will face is a engine conversion?am i right?

you need to stripe some parts of the car to check on the wiring loom ..usually the cut and paste execise is always done at the rear right hand side door ...bottom on the floor board ... some terror cut and paste needs time to check bro ...

Thanks bro will really go into it later..too many things to check n so lil time..haha..

Update ;- just checked the car is clear n no blacklist on jpj n police..

assuming the engine swap was done properly, you also need to make sure the suspension, brakes, roll bars and gerabox was all swapped over as well.
and if they did it properly, the gearbox will fail on you too. added to that its a 1993, which means no digital aircon or traction control. sounds like there is way too much that can go wrong, especially since you can pick up an ori 328i for only 20k+ now.

unstopables_7;762277 said:
any reason of walking off bro?
is not kautim the kastam bro but kautim with the chop shop for the kastam form for the current engine only..which if i take i dont think im gonna use the 328 engine..and yeah is below market value..

ha..what i say is the engine with the new custom form of the engine number to be produced is possible, however, if 'real' engine number is produced later by another person, you will be in real trouble with Kastam, JPJ & Police....so walk away, that's why i say it will come back to haunt you. also, buying and transfer the ownership will take some time and some $$$, could be much more that it would cost the same as a normal car...

If the car has valid documents- grant with proper chasis number and you have enough moolah to restore it..why not??

unless you can take over the car for next to nothing, otherwise, be prepare to fork out extra time, effort and money to restore it.
Better to get a E36 328i which is newer and comes with better interior trim from the factory.

its been a while , i have decided to revive this thread since this car has been rescue and the project shall begin.. :)

*** under progress ***

Top Bottom