Anyone come to HELP ME!!!!LIMP MODE

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wayne_len

Club Guest
My E34 24V recently always get into limp mode, which means the gear stuck in 3rd gear.And my dash readout show an icon like a sun which refer to BMW handbook is "TRANS PROGRAM Consult Owners Handbook".I refer this forum http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Transprogram but i not sure what he means that, at the end what he changed and fixed it.Anyone here face this problem before?Sifu please help!!!

I have been ask few BMW mechanic, but they also cant give me the proper answer.
So wish to see here any sifu can help....coz wanna I sayang my wallet...GEARBOX==lots of money

it should be the gearbox valve (if not mistaken call the solonoid valve) spoil. just change the valve and it should be fine. cant recall the cost but is about rm 200 to 300 for valve.

TCNG;660191 said:
it should be the gearbox valve (if not mistaken call the solonoid valve) spoil. just change the valve and it should be fine. cant recall the cost but is about rm 200 to 300 for valve.

So very true bro. More often than not, it's only some electronic issue but normal mechanics/workshop would readily say it's the gear box issue! hat have that fixed, it's expansive... :64:

Just get a diagnostics done first..my E32 also had gone into limp mode some time back..

Once my error "Kickdown switch" was cleared the gearbox recovered, no problems until now..

I think during that era, the gearboxes were more valve bodies dependant rather than mechatronics & solenoids..

Cheers :)

I hv the same problem unfortunately, I intend to do the following: check if there is sufficient ATF, change ATF and filter.
U did not explain ur problem in detail but If there is no slip while changing gear, i advice u do d same.

It's slip on second or third gear only.....mostly slip while up hill or down hill.
While transmission slip, push on the torque car not moving...then I switch the gear from D to 3...
Sometimes will get into limp mode, sometime it might get back normal...
But drive on highway on 4th gear...its still perfectly....
This problem really make me crazy....please help
P/S: ATF and ATF filter changed within a year.

mine doesn't slip, clean d connector to DME and ATF change solved my problem. If ur GB slip, it is getting to d end of it life, u need to overhaul / change a 2nd hand one, my advise...if u can find a low mileage GB, take d 2nd hand one....cheaper and less problem. Do a search on GB in this forum, u will find some good advise.

i had this problem before. My mechanic told me it was gear box problem. So i service my gear box and it cost me RM4500. After that the problem happened again. FInally i went to mechanic in Sunway area and it was only a electronic problem. The guys there fixed it for me and cost me only RM180. To be frank i was taken for a ride by the earlier mechanic. When ever you have a trans program problem, in most cases it is only an electronic problem. So anybody out there with this problem, go to the mechanic in Sunway pyramid area, and he wll be able to fix this problem. Cheers.

Top Bottom