An Intimate Encounter with the X1

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ALBundy

Founding Member
AS many of you would have know, the X1 will be officially launched in Malaysia on the 7th of April 2010. The cars are here, some of us (BMW Driving Instructors) and the sales advisors from the local dealer have been given an introduction on the key features of the car and a driving session to go along with. I have seen the X1 last year during my visit at The Welt in Munich. Well, I just glanced through and snap some photos, and was more interested in the 5 series GT and shopped at the lifestyle section instead! Well, now that I have been given a chance to drive it, and also there were the VW Tiguan and a CRV for comparison test, I would like to post some of my impression of this car/SUV. The X1 shares similar platform with the E91 (E90 touring) and weights around 1.5tonnes with multilink suspension at the rear and 50-50 weight distribution. Initial impression of the exterior is the massive presence due to the huge and vertical kidney grilles together with the six lines flowing on the front bonnet towards the kidney grilles. 1. The 6 flowing lines on the bonnet
4481199772_7e59801277.jpg
2. Rear section of the car, every bit as you expect from BMW
4480554019_d830c5dc2b.jpg
The exterior of the X1 looks really good, more so with a darker colored unit as it really shows the flame surfacing work that is incorporated into the body design. As for the interior, high quality plastics are used throughout and it is very similar to the E90. In terms of space, there is sufficient head and legroom even for someone that is close to 6 feet, and that is with the driver having a proper and comfortable sitting position at the front. As a comparison, the E90 would have a slightly better legroom but not by much. 3. Rear seats, with center arm rest and cupholders (there are 8 of them in total!)
4481214656_7753844c7e.jpg
As for rear boot space, without any alteration or tilting the rear seats, a total of 420 liters of usable space is available and one could easily put in a golf bag with other luggages. If the center seat is folded down, then another golf bag could fit in, in a T configuration. 4. Rear boot space
4480570663_8b6bd85969.jpg
Now the interesting part for the petrol heads, or should I say the oil heads as well since the initial offering will be mainly consist of Xdrive 2.0D and the Sdrive 18i (petrol version). As the names suggest, the 2 liter oil burner will be equipped with Xdrive and that means it will have Hill Descent Control (HDC) and ADBX which gives you better traction around bends with an indigenous way of transfering more torque or power between the right and left side of the wheels (different from DPC (Dynamic Performance Control) in the X6). The Sdrive is basically a full RWD unit and the advantage is a lighter car but given that it's a petrol powered unit, the oil burner still wins hands down with its performance and fuel consumption. 5. Vrroommm.....
4481194572_619c91c19c.jpg
My initial impression when I took off, is how agile this car is. It is almost saloon like in terms of handling and the suspension setting is softer compared to the X5, and hence it is comfortable and rode over the road imperfections with ease. Driving along cyberjaya, with plenty of straights and smooth flowing corners gave the X1 a chance on what it is all about. The proven 2 liter oil burner has no problems getting the 1.5 tonne X1 up to speed, and the steering feel is direct with more weight to it, compared to the X5 which I have always find to be a little light. The X1 is pretty neutral unless it is pushed hard and one could feel it will start to understeer a little, but with DSC on, the electronics will ensure it is back on the intended path in no time. (will upload a video later). 6. Front dashboard, a refreshing change from the sand dune design seen on the E90 and E60 which I find to be a tad conservative. It is slightly tilted to the driver (and I hope it will be tilted more like the older e46, E39 and etc)
4481243204_9569dbf037.jpg
The Xdrive 2.0D will go for slightly less than 300k, while the Sdrive 18i will retail for about Rm263k. Given the better features in the former (leather seats, X drive, diesel engine, chrome bars at the top and etc), the diesel powered unit should outsell the petrol unit. Cheers,Albundy p/s all pictures taken with Iphone :)

Vincent Hor;508483 said:
Albundy, nice write up. BTW what the name of the brownish/gold colour?

Hi bro,

The X1 will be available in 9 colors I was told. The one that have caught your attention is marrakesh brown. Btw the X1 sold locally is assembled in Leipzig, Germany.

Cheers

Great writeup bro and nice copper-like colour (Marrakesh Brown)!

Would love to see the vid :)

I saw the real thing in the flesh about a week ago. Didn't quite like the shape and size at first glance. The rear looks very much like Q5. But I'll reserve my comments till I steal the 2nd glance. Will drop by the dealer soon to check out the mini beast. Size-wise, I think it's pretty close to the X3.......smaller in fact.

IMO X1 is nice to look at but not so nice to own one. BMW has taken one step back in the interior department. Sorry, guys I have to say this - they lost it to the Audi Q5. Rear passenger in the X1 will feel cramped even with a driver with my height (5 ft 8 in) sitting at the driver's seat. Leg area at the rear is very limited. Kids would feel more comfortable at the back. The plastic dashboard and trimmings are made of low quality material. Dosen't look robust at all. In fact it looks very fragile. If you run your hands across the dashboard you'll know I am talking about. If the X1 is priced alongside the Q5, I think the X1 is in big trouble.

Funfer, the Q5 is not exactly a direct competitor to the X1. Q5 will be competing with X3 while the up and coming Q3 is X1's direct competitor.

As for rear leg and headroom, I find it adequate even for someone my height and size, unless one deliberately set the front seat into a boy racer sitting position, then maybe only a X5 will do;)

The SAV/SUV/MPV segment is definitely getting crowded, but I still feel in terms of performance and sheer driving pleasure the BMWs still have an upper hand with the x drive technology which the quattro and s motion are not as advance.

Cheers

ALBundy;508719 said:
Funfer, the Q5 is not exactly a direct competitor to the X1. Q5 will be competing with X3 while the up and coming Q3 is X1's direct competitor.

As for rear leg and headroom, I find it adequate even for someone my height and size, unless one deliberately set the front seat into a boy racer sitting position, then maybe only a X5 will do;)

The SAV/SUV/MPV segment is definitely getting crowded, but I still feel in terms of performance and sheer driving pleasure the BMWs still have an upper hand with the x drive technology which the quattro and s motion are not as advance.

Cheers

Bro, actually I set my normal driving postion (not the boy racer style coz I am a lover boy) and went to the back seat to find out. It was very cramped. My knee almost touched the driver's seat and I didn't like it. Unless, the rear bench can be slided forwarsd and aft and someone already slided it to the full forward position without my knowledge. By the way, the X1 has this feature or not? The 5 series GT rear seat can be reclined though. When BMW first introduced the X1 I thought it was going to be the X3 replacement because X3 was considered "a failure" when it comes to BMW standards - poor sales figure, quality issues, no i-drive, etc..So, I don't think they want to look for more trouble by introducing its new sibling. That's why I think the X1 will compete head-on with the Q5.

funfer_fahrer;508783 said:
Bro, actually I set my normal driving postion (not the boy racer style coz I am a lover boy) and went to the back seat to find out. It was very cramped. My knee almost touched the driver's seat and I didn't like it. Unless, the rear bench can be slided forwarsd and aft and someone already slided it to the full forward position without my knowledge. By the way, the X1 has this feature or not? The 5 series GT rear seat can be reclined though. When BMW first introduced the X1 I thought it was going to be the X3 replacement because X3 was considered "a failure" when it comes to BMW standards - poor sales figure, quality issues, no i-drive, etc..So, I don't think they want to look for more trouble by introducing its new sibling. That's why I think the X1 will compete head-on with the Q5.

Hehehe, lover boy means sitting with one hand on the other seat! :)

The rear bench is stationary but the I noticed the seat is slightly inclined and hence the headroom. As for leg room, I still had more than an inch to my knees while sitting at the back. Maybe you have longer legs than me (but shorter body) :)

I had similar thought as you with regards to the X1 being the X3 replacement but rumour mill said the X3 is not dead and buried yet :) That being said, the X1 is targetted towards the younger crowd and those with a small family that prefers a SUV/SAV.

To summarise, I like the agility and handling of the car plus the efficient dynamics features which given the impending fuel price increase should be a factor for potential buyers. I did cruised at 80+km/hr and it consumed less than 5.5 l/100km!! The looks and finishing also get the thumbs up from me.

The downside is a little lack of bells and whistles (no rear air con blower, sunroof, I-Drive/Navigation).

In Europe, the X1 is selling like hot cakes though, but in Malaysia owning a brand new BMW is not cheap. Everyone wants a BMW, but not everyone is willing to pay the price, more so in Malaysia :top:

Cheers,
Albundy

A few more pictures to share, Marrakesh brown or AlpineWeiss? :)

1. Frontal view

4482896253_7cb3d414ae.jpg

2. Noticed the fog light position, high enough to ride through our flash floods, well 50% of the time :p

4482888463_2f15b82f82.jpg

3. Rear tail lights very similar to E90 LCI

4483541460_ecc969aaeb.jpg

funfer_fahrer;508783 said:
That's why I think the X1 will compete head-on with the Q5.

funfer...i'm sure the boffins at BMW are already working on the future X3 to compete head-on with the Q5. The X1 is all 'alone' until perhaps a Q3 comes in the future?! Or a Benz BLK ??

well there's the GLK, but its only for north america so that doesnt really count as competition...

I actually love this car,especially in 20d guise.I think it's the perfect choice(2nd car/daily driver) for me n my small family.The wife absolutely loves the X1.So,my dream garage will have the 335i e90 and the X1 xDrive 20d.

50% there...

Only gripe is the price..but then again,this is a premium small SUV,so I guess it's a given.Need to work harder..

I took a test drive in the 2.0D and was surprised that it sounded like an old diesel. Its loud and noisy compared to the 320d. Given a choice i'd go for the 320d instead. The X1 didnt impress in that area.

3er, I have the same observation. The engine sound insulation is lacking in X1. But otherwise I don't have any complaint. Superb drive for a SUV.

Buyer do watch out for mismatch in parts. Apparently the 2.0d in the showroom is missing the PDC on the front bumpers! I brought this up to the sales person, and he was surprised too... it could be because BMW fixed the 2.0i petrol version's bumper which has no front PDC.

X1 is CBU by the way, so don't assume in CBU there's no wrong parts being used.

Top Bottom